The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: The 13TH Team Maine moosehead lake annual expidition up dated 2-24 -2020  (Read 15025 times)

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sweet 😱🎉🐟🎣🥶
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Pepsauce

• IceShanty Rookie
Been a long time creeper of this forum, just joined a few weeks ago finally... but funny I’ve got a crew staying at black bear cabins the 11-15th.

We did a wed-sun trip in middle of January and despite cold temps we managed to put a bunch of Lakers and cusk on the Ice. One guy managed a few brookies, not the monster everyone wants but 15”. Also my gf got a nice salmon probably 23” but we couldn’t get it out of the hole cuz of the regs.

We’re looking forwards to slamming the salmon and using our new vex’s jigging up cusk!

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not that I’m counting but 23 days left 😬

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got home from 5 days at the lake. Fished a little and rode around on sleds some too. It appears that there is around 18" of ice on most of the lake, a bit more here and there. Not nearly as much ice as last year, but the snow cover is easier for travelling. The weatherman says 5-8" of snow tomorrow, hopefully it blows off, just not into my yard. :P  I would suggest buying smelt on the way to the lake, some local bait shops were claiming a shortage again this year. But it's still three weeks away so who really knows.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got home from 5 days at the lake. Fished a little and rode around on sleds some too. It appears that there is around 18" of ice on most of the lake, a bit more here and there. Not nearly as much ice as last year, but the snow cover is easier for travelling. The weatherman says 5-8" of snow tomorrow, hopefully it blows off, just not into my yard. :P  I would suggest buying smelt on the way to the lake, some local bait shops were claiming a shortage again this year. But it's still three weeks away so who really knows.

thanks for the up date

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
👍

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
it is getting close time to start thinking on meals and lunch on the ice  please post what you are bring thanks

linguini  coffee cream sugar and donuts

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
I'll be bringing 2 large tortellini casseroles and garlic bread. Cheese and Crackers, olives, pepperoni, and other stuff  :tipup:
I fish.                                                         

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
 Baked ham and baked beans.....venison chili on the ice...…... :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i will make cusk chowder with all the big cusk im gonna catch lol
and probably a chilli

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm thinking I may be in the area. My buddy got a cabin at tomhegan. I'll bring deeze nuts so you guys can have an afternoon snack  ;D
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
Damn sounds like you folks eating good out there!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I will bring some hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, ketchup, mustard, relish for a lake lunch.
I will bring some OJ, milk, butter, paper towels, plates for the house.

MD

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Ill make jumbo egg and sausage sandwiches on the ice 1 morning and ill take dinner Wed night Chix/Broccoli Alfredo. If someone wants to bring enough garlic bread for 13 people and someone maybe salad?
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
Hope you have a great trip!  I was at The Birches in Rockwood 2/14-2/20 and am heading up this Wed-Sun across the lake from there.  I'm sure there are plenty others that will be there in the next week or so but I'll try to give a conditions report for the Rockwood/Kineo area while I'm up there.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Hope you have a great trip!  I was at The Birches in Rockwood 2/14-2/20 and am heading up this Wed-Sun across the lake from there.  I'm sure there are plenty others that will be there in the next week or so but I'll try to give a conditions report for the Rockwood/Kineo area while I'm up there.
   thanks 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I was down toward the south end this weekend, more ice than last time, mostly 22-24". I was a little surprised the lake has made much ice because there's a lot of snow, it would be a pretty stout wheeled vehicle that can get around. More coming this week, for whatever reason the snow isn't blowing off like most years. Two slow days fishing, one great day. Naturally the great day was in front of our place, so my wife says we're stupid riding all around the lake. ::) ;D

Bring smelt from down south, it's pretty scarce in Greenville. I had smelt O2 bagged at Sebago Bait, it lasted over three days which is about a record for me. Two days is normally about as long as I can keep the darn things going.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Forgot to mention there was several inches of overflow on the ice. Got a report this morning that the snow is slushing down with the warm weather, to the point where a sled got stuck. Hoping for some cold nights later in the week to firm it up.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Hope you guys have a great trip this year!  Looking forward to fish photos and crazy stories, lol.  Hope to make it back out that way sometime soon...
By the way, Gary's breakfast sandos are da bomb!   ;D 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
Oh btw, I will take Thursday night dinner, with the tortellini casseroles. Thanks
I fish.                                                         

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
REMEMBER DO NOT DRINK AND CUSK.
ITS NOT HEALTHY FOR YOUR AUGER.

Eiderz
I'll tell you saying that Kevin won't fess up.
He caught that cusk out at Jeffries ledge off of Gloucester and kept it refrigerated. ;D
Tuna King says hi. Any eyes this winter?
MA

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Eiderz
I'll tell you saying that Kevin won't fess up.
He caught that cusk out at Jeffries ledge off of Gloucester and kept it refrigerated. ;D
Tuna King says hi. Any eyes this winter?

HA! I knew it about that cuskasaurous! The old freezer trophy.  ;)

No walter this year, there's no ice on my go-to lakes. Plus I'm busy at work and spending time up north. It's a plan, let walter think he's safe for a year, then the smackdown.  @)  Say hi to tunaking, you guys should come to this Moosehead get together.  :tipup:

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HA! I knew it about that cuskasaurous! The old freezer trophy.  ;)

No walter this year, there's no ice on my go-to lakes. Plus I'm busy at work and spending time up north. It's a plan, let walter think he's safe for a year, then the smackdown.  @)  Say hi to tunaking, you guys should come to this Moosehead get together.  :tipup:
Where up North have you been? I've been laid up but Tuna King has been doing a lot of NH fishing this year.
MA

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
We have a place on Moosehead. It's hard not to want to go there because it's such a nice lake.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We have a place on Moosehead. It's hard not to want to go there because it's such a nice lake.

PM sent
MA

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ill make jumbo egg and sausage sandwiches on the ice 1 morning and ill take dinner Wed night Chix/Broccoli Alfredo. If someone wants to bring enough garlic bread for 13 people and someone maybe salad?

Gary I will bring the garlic bread
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Received word from the lake this morning that last weeks slush settled and is mostly crusted over. A few slush pockets but not bad.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
Received word from the lake this morning that last weeks slush settled and is mostly crusted over. A few slush pockets but not bad.
Agreed! We came across the lake today from the east side of Kineo back to Rockwood launch.  Conditions couldn’t have been much better for sleds.  Wednesday afternoon there was quite a bit of slush along the face of Kineo but it was packed solid today.  Good thing too because we had to haul a Can Am side by side with tracks (and a blown drive belt) back across with 3 sleds towing it.  All part of the adventure I guess.  I would also advise getting smelt down south if possible.  Two weeks ago they were scarce from Dexter north.  Sebago Bait had 10 dozen for me but not sure what their supply is now.  Decent fishing this trip east of Kineo.  We caught more salmon than any of our previous trips over the past 5 years or so...

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I fished up there 2 weeks ago. 2 of us got smelt in Dexter at PJ’S bait for $8 a dozen and he air bagged them. The other 2 guys bought them at Indian hill in Greenville for $10 a dozen. Small smelt in both locations. Good luck!

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
We had better luck with salmon on this trip than I think we ever have in that area over the past 5-6 years.  This short that I caught (about 16") might have been the prettiest salmon I've ever seen...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.