New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132540 times)

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #630 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:19 AM »
Hey buddy I won’t hide any secrets from you buddy, glad to share my spots with anyone especially the families with kids out there.

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #631 on: Mar 03, 2022, 10:12 AM »
Jigger,
  If Jim doesn't get to you I can get some holes for you also. Let me know, especially if that means a key to the golden perch.  Don't over do it!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #632 on: Mar 03, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Yo Jigger

Don’t listen to that Stu.   :nono:He just wants to find your “honey hole”.  You know you can trust me old buddy old pal. 😇:angel. I won’t tell a soul. Just you and me Jigger.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #633 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:20 PM »
Thank you so much Stu and Jim but I will have to stay on land and not take any chances,but when the ice goes out I would love to take both of you on my boat.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #634 on: Mar 04, 2022, 08:12 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Cold one this morning. -4 at shores edge. My ramp is in good shape. Ice is in great shape. Yesterday’s 3-4 inches of fresh snow is going to make it tough on walkers today. Not enough wind to change the conditions for tomorrow. I will place a value of 4-5 on the Boggey trudge factor. If your dragging, try to follow a well worn sled track out as far as you can. Breaking new trails in that fresh snow will def be tough.

I’m on the snowmobile today. Will try to make some pathways for you walkers👍👍. Good luck on Woodies (Karen’s) Derby tomorrow. Sign ups till 10 AM tomorrow. Should be a good day.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #635 on: Mar 04, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Anyone know how the state boat launch is looking?  hoping to head out off it with a wheeler in the AM.

Offline kissafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #636 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Your good to go at state launch locked up tight

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #637 on: Mar 04, 2022, 10:40 PM »
Thanks Kissafish. We had a near white out yesterday accompanied by some persistent 15 mph winds. Snow totals were an additional 2-3 inches of light snow which the wind distributed evenly over the ice surface by the end of the day. The handle on my scoop-showed 13 inches of good ice on all holes I cut.
Good conditions at my ramp exiting the Pond. Walkers will experience a 4-5 on the Boggey trudge factor scale due to the fresh fallen snow.

Have a good day out there with friends and family this weekend. My family members are going to fish with Poppy Saturday. Couldn’t be happier.👍👍👍😁😁😁
Don’t forget Woodies Bait & Tackle’s ice fishing Derby registration is open till 10:00am Saturday for you out of towners.
Weigh ins at 4:30pm sharp.

Boggey

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #638 on: Mar 05, 2022, 04:40 AM »
Thanks Kissafish. We had a near white out yesterday accompanied by some persistent 15 mph winds. Snow totals were an additional 2-3 inches of light snow which the wind distributed evenly over the ice surface by the end of the day. The handle on my scoop-showed 13 inches of good ice on all holes I cut.
Good conditions at my ramp exiting the Pond. Walkers will experience a 4-5 on the Boggey trudge factor scale due to the fresh fallen snow.

Have a good day out there with friends and family this weekend. My family members are going to fish with Poppy Saturday. Couldn’t be happier.👍👍👍😁😁😁
Don’t forget Woodies Bait & Tackle’s ice fishing Derby registration is open till 10:00am Saturday for you out of towners.
Weigh ins at 4:30pm sharp.

Boggey
Hey boggey
Maybe I heard wrong but I was in yesterday and thought she said had to be there by 4 for weigh in.

She did try to talk me into fishing but it would be to much to come back there from Chaumont and then back up here this weekend.

Good luck to all who enter.
O yea for everyone thinking about it as of yesterday evening at 530 it was up to $400 per winner.
Go get signed up. Good luck
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #639 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:19 AM »
Yo Beenpurchin

The weigh/in deadline is OFFICIALLY 4:30 pm as Karen realized it takes time to get from the Pond to Woodies. Thank you for pointing that out my friend.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #640 on: Mar 08, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Sorry for the brief absence from the thread. Old Boggey had some abnormal down time due to a bout with stomach virus. Fear not. I got my ice legs back yesterday afternoon and took a short jaunt out on the Pond.

Happy to say, dragging my small jet sled, I didn’t have to cut one hole. Could have left the auger at camp. Despite the high wind and rain warnings, it was a pleasant surprise to have such good conditions. A little granular snow mounds , remnants from the previous snow drifts, but other than that , a (1) rating on the Boggey trudge factor scale.

I only stayed out a couple of hours to test the bite. Sorted through a lot of smalls and would have kept six keepers , but determined to return them back through the ice portals to get bigger for the future.

There were few takers on the ice in the afternoon . From my vantage point, I only saw 2 shanties on the entirety of the Pond. While the top of the ice showed some rivulets leading to ever enlarging drain holes, a check with the handle of my scoop showed a general ice thickness of 13 inches on average.

Last night’s temperatures dropped to 28 degrees and I imagine will hopefully heal the ramps and accesses to the ice mat.

Some big drain holes out there which will most likely be thinly iced over, so be careful and as always with spring ice conditions, bring that spud out and use it. Especially keep an eye on your youngins. Some of those drain holes are big enough to present a danger to them and you should you misstep.

Picked up 2 old cronies to wander the ice with today. Stelladog and Bill. Should be an interesting day. All for now.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #641 on: Mar 09, 2022, 02:21 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

It was a bit windy in the AM, but sunny and temps were in the low 30’s by the time we got on the ice. StellaDog and I opted for the south end of the Pond as late season bites have traditionally seen better results for us in the past. Got to say it really isn’t typical late season conditions as of yet. Still we both managed a bag of keepers after a lot of sorting.

The WigWam ramp is holding up well. There were 6 other shanties at that end of the Pond. Plenty of ice with little bits of granular left over snow drifts here and there. All holes cut still 13 inches of good ice under us. We were walkers and sat on our pails with our backs to the wind. Boggey trudge factor was a (1). Easy drag.

My day ended when a huge crappy cramed it’s way into my 6” hole. While keeping stress on the line and pondering should I get my arm wet forcing him through the ice, the crappy made the decision for me. With one last shirk of it’s head it snapped my line and took my last (wonder bread) jig with it.

That’s my fish story for the day and I’m sticking to it. Be safe out there and we have lots of good ice yet, thank the Lord, as this old retired fishermen ain’t got $100 to fill my truck with Biden gas to travel north for extended season ice fishing. Can I get an Amen to that?

Boggey

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #642 on: Mar 09, 2022, 04:37 AM »
Boggey.
Great reports and stories all year. Biden gas is horrible. I don’t know if I can afford to go to work and it’s only 7mi away.

I may have to fish this year. Lol

Have a good one all.
Stay safe to anyone venturing onto late ice. Remember that spud bar.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #643 on: Mar 10, 2022, 10:27 AM »
I wasn’t aware Biden owned a oil company. Put the blame where it truly belongs on Trumps buddy “Vladimir Putin”.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #644 on: Mar 10, 2022, 01:20 PM »
Spoken like a dedicated lefty

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #645 on: Mar 10, 2022, 02:40 PM »
I wasn’t aware Biden owned a oil company. Put the blame where it truly belongs on Trumps buddy “Vladimir Putin”.

if  you look we only get  8 %  of our gas  from russia  which   we still are  getting ......this  gas price hike has nothing to  do with russia  prices were all ready going up ......  it's all about forcing people to  go for the green new  deal

boggey greay storys  buddy  and  next time

bye the  way  we  get  8 % from  russia  11 %  from opic  countrys 11%  from mexico  52%  from canada

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #646 on: Mar 10, 2022, 07:23 PM »
Spoken like a dedicated lefty
And proud of it. The right has way too much muddy water.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #647 on: Mar 10, 2022, 07:51 PM »

coming up next Odd/Even days
I live back in the woods you see

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #648 on: Mar 11, 2022, 05:11 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Let’s return this thread to it’s original intent. “Everything Sandy Pond”. My bad for throwing in that quip about “Biden gas”.

Please refrain from anymore political comments on this thread or we will get locked as so many others have met their doom. Please? Start another thread addressing your politics and see where that goes.

All that being said, yesterday gets my vote for absolutely best ice fishing day of the 21-22 season. Sunshine, low wind and boy were they biting. Seldom will I keep more than 20 perch, don’t like to spend more than a half hour cleaning them. Yesterday was the exception. They were just so big and beautiful, I couldn’t help myself.😎.

I will note still had 12 inches under me but there are many indicators our ice fishing days are finite. Overnight temps are barely freezing, therefore not repairing the large drain holes, only casting a thin overlay of ice which quickly gives way to the noon time sun. Note the increase of air bubbles in the dark ice and many of those pressure cracks are opening up .
All signs our great year of ice fishing is fastly waning. Let’s enjoy what remains with an ever vigilant eye towards safety and the considerations thereof.

Enjoy it while we still have it

Boggey

That being

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #649 on: Mar 11, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Boggey,
Glad to hear you are mended up and are filling that bucket.  Unfortunately going to miss the next few weekends due to that horrible commitment I call work.  Don't get me wrong, I have the best job in the world, however, sure would rather be fishing.  ;D  Anyway, enjoy those last few walks out but don't push your luck.  Have a great weekend all!   

Stu
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #650 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:26 PM »
boggy is that ice  holding up?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #651 on: Mar 12, 2022, 01:37 AM »
Yo Trap

In short, yes it is holding up , but as you well know at this time of year “holding up” is a day by day consideration. I have been looking forward to cutting some holes with you all season my friend and your visit is yet to materialize. Doesn’t take that much gas to get here, so I expect to see you before the boat is in the water. I need another tutorial on carving up them slime logs,😀😀

Yo Stu,
Sorry your not here my friend. It is a great “catching” season and you are missing out on a great time to fill the frerzer. Sorry, I can’t sugar coat it for you. Not to worry, old Boggey will keep a couple bags in the freezer for you bud. Heck, maybe a season ending fish fry eh?

Don’t worry about me fishing alone. With all my family and warmer weather conditions, Poppy’s fishing camp has become very popular. I got kids and grandkids coming to fish that I forgot I had :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

This post wouldn’t be complete without a thank you to my friends StellaDog and Kitzy who usually keep me company on the ice. I picked up a new neighbor, Bob who is also a semi-retired ice fishing fanatic. So Stu, don’t worry about Old Boggey fishing alone. In closing, I’m singing again on the ice. You got to know all is well on the Pond when you hear old Boggey belting out a few chorus’s of “Tura-lura-lura. That’s an Irish lullaby.”

Boggey

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #652 on: Mar 12, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I don’t post often here but an fyi for pond fishing, green point said they would be shutting down parking and ice access soon. She made it sound like this weekend would be the last of the access from there. Ice was still solid as of Friday there.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #653 on: Mar 12, 2022, 04:34 PM »
I don’t post often here but an fyi for pond fishing, green point said they would be shutting down parking and ice access soon. She made it sound like this weekend would be the last of the access from there. Ice was still solid as of Friday there.
predicted warm weather and rains coming. Those folks are looking out for everyone’s safety. That ice will deteriorate fast next week. I agree with their decision.😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #654 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:24 AM »

I can understand why they are closing the access
 Safety and also avoid any liability issues , these days people don’t seem to have any responsibility for their own actions, so sad

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #655 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:40 AM »
100 percent correct there Fred !!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #656 on: Mar 13, 2022, 11:44 AM »
green point was closed for a long  time  untill  some people talked to them about  keeping it open ....before i think the issue was trash and vanalism..... good people  respect their  property and wishes  for sure

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #657 on: Mar 13, 2022, 12:04 PM »

I’m sure there were  messes left as with all parking accesses , I got permission from an owner on Oneida , so he let another an the guy fell on the ice , so he was going to sue
 It was a mess  for the home owner ,

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #658 on: Mar 13, 2022, 12:17 PM »
I hope it didn’t sound like I was disagreeing with the decision because it went in that direction I was merely trying to let everyone know

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #659 on: Mar 13, 2022, 01:48 PM »

Oh no not at all mdm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.