Author Topic: Portable hub style shanty  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Pecheglacon

• IceShanty Rookie
Portable hub style shanty
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 06:32 PM »
In search of my fellow ice anglers thoughts and recommendations.  I’m looking to buy a portable hub style 3 to 4 person portable shanty that is sturdy in winds and well built.  Please share any recommendstions and feedback.  Thank you!!!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Portable hub style shanty
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Though I don’t own a hub style myself, I’ve fished in a number of different hub styles owned by fishing buds. In my experience wind resistance is more a factor of positioning and anchoring than of the shelter itself. I think the nicest overall hubs are the insulated clam shelters but they’re pretty pricey. I spent a few winters fishing out of an uninsulated shappell and with a little buddy it stayed pretty warm. I thought for the price the shappell hub was pretty solid. Hope this helps.
-Keith
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 08:57 PM »
In search of my fellow ice anglers thoughts and recommendations.  I’m looking to buy a portable hub style 3 to 4 person portable shanty that is sturdy in winds and well built.  Please share any recommendstions and feedback.  Thank you!!!

What are you willing to spend if sky's the limit try otter??  i found are a tad small in the xth in the smallest model..  but being small is easist to heat.. also try eskimo the 3i is a great shack nice size with room to spare even for two adult two children..  also look at the 949i it's a tad lighter then the frabill 450 said next..  as for the frabil. The only two good ones they make are the bunker 450 and bunker 250 full thermals..  they have very sturdy hubs in those frabills.. I did not like windows in the otter they were a little thin..  the otter and eskimo have basically same hub design little on cheap side compared to the frabills hub design..  I wIll tell you this the bunker 450 is to heavy to drag by your self and you will need two heaters for over night fishing..  when it's coldest out we fished all night in negative 5 and 6 temps with two big buddy heaters to get warm enough after checking the tip ups .. the doubble heater help get the chill out of our bones..

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:55 AM »
I have the Otter XTH Lodge. Very nice hub and has withstood wicked Newfound winds.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:17 PM »
I’m a fan of the Shappell WideHouse series. I own a 5500 which makes a nice two man or a very roomy one man hub. The 6500 would be adequate for 3-4 man. Easy to setup and take down. My 5500 has lasted me going on 7-8 seasons and is virtually still in brand new condition. I’m 6’ tall and the 6500 has more than enough headroom for me to stand up straight. My 5500 makes me hunch over just barely but I don’t stand in it very often so that gets overlooked.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2018, 02:15 PM »
In my experience wind resistance is more a factor of positioning and anchoring than of the shelter itself. I think the nicest overall hubs are the insulated clam shelters but they’re pretty pricey.

I agree with you on the positioning and anchoring thing. I'm going on year 5 or 6 with my Clam BigFoot 4000 thermal and I love it. I can set it up by myself in 30 mph winds no problem. I use ice climbing screws for anchors and cam-lock straps. If you aren't careful setting it up the doors can be real hard to use. The thermal is nice not only for warmth but because it tends to condense a little less inside while using a heater.

This year I am considering a big flip over though.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I've had the Eskimo Fatfish 949i for the past four years and like it a lot.  It blocks the wind very well, is nice and dark inside for sight fishing, and is very warm, you can be conformable without a coat inside without a heater running.  Yeah it's on the heavier side because it's insulated but it's worth every penny in my opinion.  Some guys have an issue with bag being too small but what I did to help with that is I took the straps off an old life jacket and at the end of the day I use them to cinch the tent tighter which gives plenty of room in the bag, you can also do this with ratchet straps or something similar.  Another nice thing about it is the windows are removable so you can open them for added ventilation and if they ever crack you can replace them easily.  Over all I would definitely buy it again and recommend it.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Another nice thing about it is the windows are removable so you can open them for added ventilation and if they ever crack you can replace them easily.  Over all I would definitely buy it again and recommend it.

This is a big plus for the Eskimo. I'm not worried about the Clam windows cracking but I'd love to be able to open them. My buddy has one and it's a nice hub.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2018, 08:38 AM »
I have the Clam Bigfoot 4000 insulated hub. Other than the zipper pulls, nothing has broken on it going on its 5th season. A buddy picked up the 949i last year. The velcro windows on the Eskimo shack are much better for watching flags. They get frosted up pretty good and its easier just to crack them open to check the flags then close back up. This isn't an option in the Clam since they are sewn-in.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2018, 10:13 AM »
look at shappell widehouse 6500 insulated.

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:54 PM »
I've had the Eskimo Fatfish 949i for the past four years and like it a lot.  It blocks the wind very well, is nice and dark inside for sight fishing, and is very warm, you can be conformable without a coat inside without a heater running.  Yeah it's on the heavier side because it's insulated but it's worth every penny in my opinion.  Some guys have an issue with bag being too small but what I did to help with that is I took the straps off an old life jacket and at the end of the day I use them to cinch the tent tighter which gives plenty of room in the bag, you can also do this with ratchet straps or something similar.  Another nice thing about it is the windows are removable so you can open them for added ventilation and if they ever crack you can replace them easily.  Over all I would definitely buy it again and recommend it.

I also have this shelter. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.  I fish with my wife and two young boys. Plenty of room in this shelter. We used it about 10 times last season in all types of conditions. Nobody complains about being too cold. Windows and doors are a must to open when the sun is up on a March day.   I've never used a buddy heater in it. Don't let the weight sway your opinion, it's not that bad. Before, I had a jet sled. I threw it up on my shoulder and walked it out on the ice.
With that said, I've been in a Clam insulated hub for a weekend trip & it was also nice.

Tight Lines,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.