Author Topic: ice cutters  (Read 3949 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice cutters
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Been a subject here before and price keeps some folks off but "ice climbing screws" are incredible tools. Start and drive easily by hand, light and durable titanium and positively won't pull out or bend or corrode. I got mine on fleaBay for extremely reasonable by being both persistent and patient. Looks like this:

Very pricey brand new starting at over $30 USD per screw. I own 8 IIRC, bought in two sets. One (2x) from the US and one (6x) from Russia. I think I've got no more than $5-6 each.

I've battled with the lag screw type and gave up. Made a driver for a cordless drill (long before folks were using them to drive an auger), tried a regular bit for pilot holes... Just wasn't worth the extra weight and fuss totin' the drill. Sure, now you're drilling with it but by the time you get your auger swapped to an anchor driver I've got in at least one and probably two screws. I do understand the current Eskimo version is very good but I'll still race.  ;)2

They really install (and remove) this easily: Ice Screw Install My "handles" are more utilitarian but you'll get the idea.

Just my opinion and experience. Not for all folks but I know I'll never look back and never regret my decision.

I use 4 ice climbing screws for my outside hub center anchors and the screws that came with my Clam hub shanty I use to tie down the 4 inside corners. I'm using 8 anchors which is probably excessive but I have a system that works. The inside anchors I install with a Clam ice anchor driver.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:14 AM »
An outfit called "Trophy Angler" came out with some ice anchors for ice fishing based on the climbing screw design a few years ago. The first ones were made of aluminum but the current marketing says stainless steel. About $15 a pair(Scheels), still kinda pricey. Sportsmans Guide has 'em for $8/pair. I have no direct experience with these, just know they are out there.

I bought some from sportsmans guide a few years ago and they did not perform at all.  I bought 2 pkgs and most of them would not bite into the ice at all, and a couple would bite with moderate success.  I threw them all out.  I love my Eskimo anchors.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I bought some from sportsmans guide a few years ago and they did not perform at all.  I bought 2 pkgs and most of them would not bite into the ice at all, and a couple would bite with moderate success.  I threw them all out.  I love my Eskimo anchors.

That doesn't surprise me I know the early ones were aluminum and regardless of the alloy I wouldn't have much confidence in their ability to hold a cutting edge. The current offering says stainless steel and I'd expect more from them. Even so you generally get what you pay for and as they say, "If it's too good to be true...".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I like the Eskimo anchors and my modified speed wrench, only seconds to crank in and no drill needed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.