Author Topic: 12 volt t.v. or flip down dvd player for ice shack  (Read 4062 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
12 volt t.v. or flip down dvd player for ice shack
« on: Aug 10, 2019, 04:09 PM »
 just got a new shack ready for this winter and plan to spend a few over nights out there in it.  i'd like to deck it out with a 12v monitor of some type to watch hockey night in canada on saturday nights and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations.  i've looked at 12 volt t.v's with mixed reviews and am leaning toward a vehicle style flip down dvd player with hdmi ports.  any and all opinions are welcomed!

oh by the way, it's supposed to drop down to 2*c here tonight  ;D

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 12 volt t.v. or flip down dvd player for ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2019, 05:49 PM »
If it's only a few times use a tablet or laptop.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Display probably isn't as important as how you gonna get a signal? Satellite? Cell phone? Just curious. Lotsa display options.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2019, 08:41 PM »
 i just want a bigger display i can leave mounted in the shack that will run off a battery and solar charging system.  will be hooked up to cel phone via hdmi or chrome cast.  i may cheap out and just use the tablet.

esox we have 4g up here in canada this isn't the wild west  ;D

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Display probably isn't as important as how you gonna get a signal? Satellite? Cell phone? Just curious. Lotsa display options.

Esox, that is a valid question.  In my part of Canada, other than my home lake, most of my ice fishing is done out of cell service, probably 40-50 miles away from it when I am at the cabin.  I do carry a Sat phone for safety, but for entertainment I would prefer to enjoy fishing and my suroundings rather than The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2019, 09:41 AM »

CBC is OTA, you can pick it up with an antenna.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2019, 11:30 AM »
 that's a good point dave i forget that cbc signal is still floating around out there.  ctv too i think. 

ya yea there's lots of area around here that doesn't get cel service, i fish there too.  the lake my shack is on has service.  i like to fish, i like to drink beer and i also like to watch the leafs game on saturday night, i'm hoping to do all these things at once.  as for the real house wives i've got no comment there...

so, i'll ask again - can anyone recommend a good 12 volt display option that has worked well for them in their shacks?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Got more questions ran7ger... do you need some sort of receiver integrated in the display or just a simple monitor? What screen are you thinking about? RV TV monitors get pretty large but eat the wattage as well so it's going to be a balance between size and available power. Just looking for something bigger than a phone screen or like a 30"er?

Sorry to be so curious but there are an awful lot of choices these days and no, I haven't done TV on the ice. Radio works for Packer games and doesn't keep me glued to the screen when I should be fishing  ;)2

As an aside I was surfing through the cable channel guide and got all excited when I came across the show "On the Ice". Then I realized it was on the NHL Network...  ::)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2019, 02:15 PM »
 i appreciate the curiosity esox!  i looked at some r.v t.v's that were a bit more than i want to spend but they are also very rugged and in the size i'm looking for (19-30").  i see flip down dvd players for vehicles that get up to around 17", with dvd and hdmi but the prices are all over the place with mixed reviews.  i don't need any sort of receiver as it will just be for hockey night in canada and the odd grumpy old men/dumb and dumber marathon.  there isn't much of a night bite around here so need something to keep me entertained out there other than beer.

i think i'll end up going the flip down dvd/monitor route, something like this...
https://www.amazon.ca/Rockville-RVD10HD-BK-10-1-Inch-Monitor-Led-Set/dp/B01D80VGVA/ref=asc_df_B01D80VGVA/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292974282235&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17906676441267150701&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001239&hvtargid=pla-552962887610&psc=1

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2019, 09:04 AM »

there isn't much of a night bite around here so need something to keep me entertained out there other than beer.

Cigars work for me  ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2019, 06:52 AM »

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Do they still even have hockey teams up in Canada??  They've kinda been a no show the past few Cup finals........   ;D ;D

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2019, 11:41 AM »
How about a underwater camera... do those have any kind of input port?
These new flasher/finder units need an hdmi port and a split screen capability.  Game on one side, flasher on the other.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Do they still even have hockey teams up in Canada??  They've kinda been a no show the past few Cup finals........   ;D ;D

It's cause you damn Yankees keep steeling all of our talent!!!!   ;)2

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2019, 01:00 PM »

We're all about the basketball these days.  We the north!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.