Author Topic: Work in progress  (Read 2472 times)

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
Work in progress
« on: Aug 25, 2019, 11:40 PM »
Jet sled XL 4 inch risers double 1/4th inch cross bars all aluminum and jet sled jr 3 inch risers and cross bars. inspired from the original smitty sled. My first attempt last year only had 2 inch risers. Still need some final adjustments. It's been fun! I'm over this heat it was 95 today. Get your build on and bring on the freezing temps!  ;D

ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:54 AM »
Let me be the first to say: Looks great.  30 Other looked but on I responded,why is that?
<===Lefty===

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2019, 06:08 AM »
Inspiring! I gotta do me a Smitty...  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2019, 06:09 AM »
Nice job on the sled.you will be ready for first ice.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Nice work. Now you got me thinking whether the smaller risers are better than the 10" riser i used last year. very bulky, coupled with the 2x4 cross pieces i used. Seems like a lot of weight that i can eliminate

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:09 AM »
Ice,
Great job on the sled! What did you use for the cross supports?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Nice smitty sled set up. I made one last year, not as nice but it made big difference pulling in the snow. Hopefully you will be able to use it sooner than later.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Sure makes pulling a sled easier, more fun designing and building though. Skifisher I used 1/4 thick aluminum flat bar 2 cross pieces front and rear 4 total. It holds around 200lbs of gear used it last winter with the 2 inch risers no issues except it sat too low. ActiveTrapchecker 10inch riser seem a bit much and possibly top heavy, I don't have much experience building smitty sleds go with what has been working might just shave off some of what you already have.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Nice sled!
I also built one last year with 2 x 10's, wondering if it was overkill. I figured the extra height would help in deep snow. I only used it in 10" of snow last season so I don't know.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Sure makes pulling a sled easier, more fun designing and building though. Skifisher I used 1/4 thick aluminum flat bar 2 cross pieces front and rear 4 total. It holds around 200lbs of gear used it last winter with the 2 inch risers no issues except it sat too low. ActiveTrapchecker 10inch riser seem a bit much and possibly top heavy, I don't have much experience building smitty sleds go with what has been working might just shave off some of what you already have.

It was sloppy, due to poor craftsmanship on my part. Had planned to redo it this fall, we will see. May land on 6" risers this time around.

How long are your cross pieces? I built mine last year so that i could place my Quickfish 3i next to my jet sled. off the top of my head it may have been 36"

How did you secure the cross pieces to the risers?

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:12 AM »
5inch long  1/4 inch countersink bolts with metal nylon lock nuts. Used a cut off wheel to cut the access bolt off then grinded it smooth. It’s bolted from bottom of the ski to the jet sled through the risers and cross bars. I forgot how long the cross bars are but they are the width of the outside runners for a jet sled XL. So close to the width of the jet sled xl

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2019, 10:14 AM »
5inch long  1/4 inch countersink bolts with metal nylon lock nuts. Used a cut off wheel to cut the access bolt off then grinded it smooth. It’s bolted from bottom of the ski to the jet sled through the risers and cross bars. I forgot how long the cross bars are but they are the width of the outside runners for a jet sled XL. So close to the width of the jet sled xl

I would have never thought of that, thanks for the information

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Nice looking design.  What material are your risers made from?

I need to get going on my redo for this winter, before it gets too cold to work in the driveway but for now it is too hot to work outside, get rid of the 2 X 8 risers I have now to drop some wait off and hopefully decrease the wobbles from poor construction.
I also need to find a way strap down my XL sled instead of bolting down, since I also use it to haul duck decoys and as a layout blind during waterfowl season.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2019, 09:46 PM »
The risers are aluminum rectangular tube 3 inches with a piece of 1 inch square tube on top, I was unable to find a 4 inch piece of rec tube at the time. Most Smitty sled designs have a I-bolt in the side of each riser then a strap over the top the of sled hooked to I-bolts to secure it to the cross bars just for the day. I've seen a simpler way to temporarily secure a sled to cross bars, saw a video of a guy use heavy duty bungee cords fixed to the risers then hooked/wrapped around pegs, the pegs were bolted onto the side of the sled. Seemed much easier that way and no straps in the way of putting things in or out of the sled and still comes apart. 

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2019, 11:57 PM »
Thanks.
Have been thinking about eye bolts and turn buckles to hold the sled to the base to not have straps in the way.

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2019, 03:59 AM »
I have always wanted to build one of these, but I use my flip for early ice.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Looks great!! Tightlines!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.