Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

what's the best time?

<< < (2/2)

wick:
I know alot of people catch crappie at night but to tell you the truth, i never cought a crappie at night. I usually catch my crappie in the day or evening (not night) ive tried at night but just never cought any.

crappie_attitude:
It seems like the crappies start swarming around 1 hour before dusk.

twodoggs:
I usually make sure to get out before sunset.  That is when they seem to bite best here in MN.  I have stayed out past midnight also  It depends.  I have a 18" 3.5 lb mounted on the wall that I caught around 9pm. I have not done very well in the middle of the day but then again I usually fish for sunnies and northerns during the day and they are not in the same areas as crappies normally.  

Dr. BlueGill:
Depends.  I fish Honeoye Lake here in NY a lot and I have found the crappie bit is best just before dark and then after.  But then there are days (like last Friday) when they hit all afternoon.  Friday was a bright sunny day until about 1:00. Then it got overcast.  With the cluds came the crappies.  I was next to 4 guys who absolutely murdered them.  All afternoon.  They had been there the last 2 days and caught zero.  Last year I did well on them but after dark.  They're finicky but when they hit it is worth the wait.

fishingking:
hour before dark till they stop biting   couple hours before dark till they stop biting  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version