New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: best crappie lake in New York?  (Read 31983 times)

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: best crappie lake in New York?
« Reply #120 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:52 PM »
The best crappie fishing in NY is at the local water treatment facilities .... Big clunkers can be caught around 6-7 am at the one near my house. Especially after wing night...
and some come preseasoned or breaded  ;D

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:05 PM »
beleive it or not i caught a crappie last year in front of a dec officer checking fish count that was almost the size of a 5 gal bucket laying on its side in lake george . he figured it was a state record. but they are few and far between.  south bay on lake champlain is an awesome spot to catch crappies  summer and winter. very nice size to them also

This past summer while fishing an FLW tournament on Champlain, I caught my all time biggest crappie a few miles north of South Bay .  It was a white crappie and I caught it on a Rapala DT 10 crankbait.  You could have closed its mouth and not known it was in there.  It was huge.  Since I was bass fishing I let it go without weighing or measuring, but for a moment I stood there in the nice cool breeze under the July sun and pictured myself all alone on a frozen lake, sitting on a bucket...   :icefish:

Offline waldoslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:29 AM »
SECRET SPOT!! thats the best spot

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #123 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:54 AM »
SECRET SPOT!! thats the best spot

Secret spots!!! lol   had fun with this a few years ago  :tipup:

;D  ;D

There are no secret spots anymore  ;)

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:12 AM »
It amazes me, that so many people on this site took the time to write a negative opinion of the initial question , Why even click on the question?  Unless you are actually looking for spots? Apparently not as accomplished a fisherman as they would like the fishing population at large to believe.  I can respect the fisherman that puts the time on the watery/ice to find his/her hot spotsand keep them to themselves, but those same fisherman would have absolutely no need/use for this forum.  Apparently,the fisherman with the negative comments, need the attention of others(see the number of post of these people) even though they have nothing of value to offer, other than mocking the author of the post or a helpful respondent.
    Be nice if a person that wasn't interested in a post, just pass it by. Not a big time ice fisherman, but in my section of the state, Chautauqua,Honeoye,Sandy Ponds would appear to have decent populations of crappie caught ice fishing.  I can understand the secrecy of bass spots with the number of money tournaments in the state, but PANFISH?? How did Iverson say it? PRACTICE???????

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #125 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:16 AM »
It amazes me, that so many people on this site took the time to write a negative opinion of the initial question , Why even click on the question?  Unless you are actually looking for spots? Apparently not as accomplished a fisherman as they would like the fishing population at large to believe.  I can respect the fisherman that puts the time on the watery/ice to find his/her hot spotsand keep them to themselves, but those same fisherman would have absolutely no need/use for this forum.  Apparently,the fisherman with the negative comments, need the attention of others(see the number of post of these people) even though they have nothing of value to offer, other than mocking the author of the post or a helpful respondent.
    Be nice if a person that wasn't interested in a post, just pass it by. Not a big time ice fisherman, but in my section of the state, Chautauqua,Honeoye,Sandy Ponds would appear to have decent populations of crappie caught ice fishing.  I can understand the secrecy of bass spots with the number of money tournaments in the state, but PANFISH?? How did Iverson say it? PRACTICE???????

well  JMNY004, obviously you have never seen what people do once word gets out about a good crappie bite...

so where can I get some crappies? 

;D :tipup:

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #126 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:30 AM »
Crappie are probably of the most sought after pan fish for eating, i don't blame guys for protecting their honey holes. Never hear of people just C&R Crappies. SO if word gets out about a place with decent population & size, it WILL get crowded very quickly. And don't think people won't drive a long distance for them ... look what happened at Cando' with Perch !!

My 2-cents
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline genman08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 AM »
That's a million dollar question...this fisherman is poor! But I have caught some great fish on Conesus.  Especially late season crappie, maybe that I'm partial cause its close to home.  Good luck out there. Hopefully we get some colder weather!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:27 AM »
My guess would be that the best crappie lake is one that hasn't been posted on this thread.

Offline BobbyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:09 AM »
I see this thread has caused some mixed feelings which is kinda the point, everyone loves a little debate  ;D.  Also by no means am I an inexperienced fishermen so I can take and expect a few shots, so lets keep this train rolling
DR Bobby J. Hardwater
Field researcher in Ice Fisheries Sciences

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #130 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:19 AM »
I see this thread has caused some mixed feelings which is kinda the point, everyone loves a little debate  ;D.  Also by no means am I an inexperienced fishermen so I can take and expect a few shots, so lets keep this train rolling

I don't even target Crappies, probably only caught a 1/2 doz ever through the ice  :P... so i have no say either way as to where to find them & best tatics to catch them. But IF i find a great spot during my travels ... i won't be announcing on the web.  :P   But will gladly help out with depth, lures,colors etc ...

Again just MHO

Good luck all
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline boogey1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Caught 5 crappies weighing 2.2 lbs in my secret spot and they all went back in the lake. All I can say is it was in Ulster county
Catcha lot of 9-11 inchers that make the frying pan

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Great idea.  It doesn't take long to hurt the population.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Stealing from another user who posted something like this a few days ago on another thread. I forget who.
"The best spots on IS are the one's with the psychadelic trees in the background. Look for the psychadelic trees in NY and you'll find the best fishing in the state!" I got a kick out of it.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #134 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:10 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #135 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Stealing from another user who posted something like this a few days ago on another thread. I forget who.
"The best spots on IS are the one's with the psychadelic trees in the background. Look for the psychadelic trees in NY and you'll find the best fishing in the state!" I got a kick out of it.

I love fishing there!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I love fishing there!
Shocked I haven't ran into you down there.  @)
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:18 PM »
I have found almost any body of water can be great for crappie as long as you know where to find them. Although I stumbled onto a private body of water that hold the largest I have ever seen or caught I kept ten fish to eat never weighed them but the biggest of them would of been close to the record had I known what it was I would've called had it on a scale before I breaded it up. As soon as it freezes ill see if I can get a few for pics.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #138 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Yeah man. Psychadelic Trees Lake. Groovey! Seriously, it's good to have a thread that is not so serious otherwise I'm going crazy waiting for safe ice around here.

Offline deadbucks11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a CRAPPIE day!!!
« Reply #139 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Personally i think any lake with crappie in it is the  "BEST"..........     ;D

Offline Northern26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:29 PM »
I've done great on lake bonaparte
Just staying occupied until deer season

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #141 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:58 PM »
lake sunnyside! a little private mudpuddle ive got acces to!

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
whats the best crappie lake in ny
« Reply #142 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:02 AM »
i was wondering were is a good lake to catch some nice crappie fished on a couple lakes but no crappie thanks for any help

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: whats the best crappie lake in ny
« Reply #143 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:06 AM »
The answer to your question of what is the best crappie lake in NY is, probably the one that no one knows has Crappie!!! ;D. Bigger question is, what part of the state are you in?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:08 AM »
im in cny but willing to go north if there is any lakes up there

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #146 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:omg  to  funny ,you  people  crack me  up 

Offline SnojetDerek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Mile arm bay on black lake is very popular for crappie, some good eye's also.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #148 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:40 PM »
i think the HUDSON RIVER,but i fish the river alot
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular