Author Topic: It has Begun...  (Read 2131 times)

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
It has Begun...
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Snow and cold....Will be going over gear tonight in front of the fire...WooHoo
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline tipups19

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: It has Begun...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Midwestern ice fisherman that has just moved to RI, left most my gear back in Nebraska for the nephews to use. I hope that will help them stay interested in the sport in my absence. The new frabill flip-up arrived today, the Ion X and new sled should be at the house by this weekend. I booked a trip to Vermont already and am looking into Maine, I hear the season in southern RI is very short but am looking forward to it. I enjoyed your post have a great season.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Welcome Tip-ups...Please don't be a stranger to the Forum. It's a few of us Die-hards who keep the RI threads going. I grew up outside the Bangor area and did alot of Ice Fishing there. If you want any info don't hesitate to ping me.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Welcome tipups19,

Hope your first icefishing season in the northeast is a good one. RIMainuh is a better Maine info source than I, but I do fish it quite a bit so if you post up questions maybe I can help. Another of my favorite areas is upstate NY, I might be able to assist there as well. Don't forget that all of the northern tier states have there own state boards, there's a wealth of info there. On the other hand, let's hope it's a cold winter so we don't have to travel too far. ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Welcome tipups19. The RI season CAN be short, but we also have long ice seasons here as well. If RI has ice, fish it because there are some fantastic lakes and ponds that produce trophy caliber fish of all species.
Just add water.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Crossing my fingers for a good season, gears ready to go. This weekends the only full weekend I have off all month, considering taking a drive north if it seems promising enough. Putting time in this year

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:16 AM »
tipups19 welcome aboard we can have some short seasons here but usually can find fish-able ice with in a hour or two away I know in Nebraska that can be a trip to the corner store but here in R I most locals consider a 45 minute ride a pilgrimage requiring a passport and an entourage of Sherpa  ;D look forward to fishing with you and this season and many more in   future tight lines   share your pictures   welcome again
                                                                                       halfhooked
                                                                                            Ed

Offline tipups19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! My wife and I are renting a house in Newport after being in Manhattan for five long years. We owned no vehicle while living in NYC but we bought a used SUV after the move to Newport. Because we only have one vehicle I have to choose my days on the ice wisely. I took a drive to Tucker and Worden Pond a few weeks back and feel very fortunate to have these resources within 30-40 mins of me. I will head back to Nebraska for Xmas and ship my remaining gear out to RI and at that point should be good to go for the season! I usually work on Sat but have Sunday off, if anyone is planning to go out in the area after good ice please let me know. The new auger and sled are scheduled to deliver today, feels like Xmas already!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! My wife and I are renting a house in Newport after being in Manhattan for five long years. We owned no vehicle while living in NYC but we bought a used SUV after the move to Newport. Because we only have one vehicle I have to choose my days on the ice wisely. I took a drive to Tucker and Worden Pond a few weeks back and feel very fortunate to have these resources within 30-40 mins of me. I will head back to Nebraska for Xmas and ship my remaining gear out to RI and at that point should be good to go for the season! I usually work on Sat but have Sunday off, if anyone is planning to go out in the area after good ice please let me know. The new auger and sled are scheduled to deliver today, feels like Xmas already!

You are definitely going to have to pick your days if you live in Newport. You are probably as far away as it gets from good ice locations when you consider RI and MA as a whole. Meaning, you are as far south and east as possible when most of the ice is north and west. With that said, you are still within an hour of good ice once we get it. If we get VERY good ice, go east  ;)
Just add water.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2019, 06:15 PM »
 ;D Sharps is 100% right about your location but it is possible you might get to fish stafford  but you may have to travel a little Barbers can be fun Jonsons  thirty acre meadowbrook  thirty acre locustville are possibilities then sometimes you may have to go the 47 to foster / gloster

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2019, 08:27 AM »
I fished yesterday afternoon and am on it again this morning in N.W. RI. Let’s hope tomorrow’s rain doesn’t wash it all away.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Yeah  >:( Bathwater from the sky tomorrow. It will put a dent but not too bad if we get some decent overnight lows.

Offline tipups19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I'm doing some research, what do you know about Great Pond up in Maine? Is there a lake you might recommend I look into for a thee day trip? Thanks for any help!

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2019, 11:29 AM »
For what it’s worth, stopped by Wilson’s yesterday. Not there yet. 1-2 inches of crap snow ice. Saw some guys out on keech. Stopped by big bear and they said they sold about 10 doz shiners. Said guys were reporting 3-4 inches but no one was saying where. Don’t blame them haha. If I got up earlier might’ve been able to get out but wasn’t expecting there to be anything in the area. Hoping the rain doesn’t so to bad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.