Author Topic: River walleye help.  (Read 2162 times)

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
River walleye help.
« on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Hey all, I'm looking for some input on finding winter walleye on the Piney Damn/Clarion River in Clarion Pa. It's got some fairly deep water 60-70 ft . But I have access to mid 40's @ the deepest. I know there's walleye in the places I'm fishing cause as soon as the ice is out I catch em from shore. I've tried inside bends, I've tried deeper slack water areas, tried inlets & coves. All I can locate is small perch & crappies. The current here is pretty slow  compared to most rivers ,it averages 200-400 yards wide. It's like a lake but with a little current. Where are the  walleyes in this river now?  Oh 1 more thing, since it's a power damn, they draw down the water @ the damn so there's about 8' of shoreline showing that is not there spring threw fall. Please help!
Don't horse em!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: River walleye help.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I like shallow bays, humps, etc inside but close to the current break.  Catch most my fish from 1 hour before to 1 hour after sunrise or sunset. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:22 PM »
we have a river here similar to that and has a bit of current as well. The walleye here always seem to be hiding below a bank or steep drop off waiting for food to come by. You may feel that the current is not that bad but i will bet you that down on the bottom is where the current is stronger/strongest so those wallys that you think are fighting only a little current, are actually fighting more than you think near the bottom. I find walleye in this situation very similar to a trout in a stream in that they will hide behind something or below something to avoid expending energy....especially if you have a damn there.
At our damn here, the force of the water will churn out holes just down from the damn and if you can position yourself overtop one of those churned out holes, most often the walleye will be in the bottom of one of those churned out holes. Not sure you are talking about ice fishing that close to the damn though. Hope im making some sense here. The other thing ive learned about river walleye .....and pike for that matter....is that they tend to be more mobile in rivers a lot of times. ...especially if the damn makes the water levels go up and down frequently. Please post back what you learn.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I've fished the susquehanna and delaware rivers here in pa. Much shallowed then what you mentioned. 20ft holes are deep in the main current but we have had the best luck from 4ft-12fow

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Find your deepest holes within a couple miles or so, find the slowest part of that hole and or structure.. submerged lumber, big rocks, sharp bend, something they can hide by. Take jigs tipped with creekbait, medium sized.. jig them slowly.. game on!
Also, best success will come when Temps rise a little bit and the sun comes out, mid afternoon usually

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.