Author Topic: Single hook  (Read 3281 times)

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Single hook
« on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Hey guys, been a member for 4 years and never knew how much more there is to this site then just "ice fishing michigan!" Anyway, been seeing walleye in my spearing hole quite often, and wanna catch these suckers.  I can't get them to bite anything (I've tried it all). I'm going to revamp my tipups for walleye instead of pike.  I've read just about every thread on here but haven't seen anything about how to hook my live sucker with a single hook apposed to a treble. Is there a trick, or just under the dorsal like u would with a treble. Thanks for any help/pointers!!

coldhand

Re: Single hook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I could take Jesus fishing with me and the walleye still wouldn't bite. Either they aren't there or they're too lethargic. 
Probably the same for you unless other people are catching them close by. 

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:28 PM »
I would use a small treble hook.. Never used a single myself except once and that time I did I caught a 42" pike..so I guess it don't matter but I have confidence in trebles.. If you use a single hook it the same way you would a treble... Just in front of the dorsal barely into the meat

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I didn't have any luck yesterday, back at it tomorrow.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I run single hooks. I hook right behind dorsal instead of in front. Also, make sure youre using some kind of mono/flouro leader off of ice line

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:26 AM »
I use both single n trebles. If u use treble hooks you can put 2 minnows on for bait.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:29 AM »
First my thought is what size sucker? What's the size of the Eye's? Can you get fat head minnows? Or small golden shiners? Suckers really are great Pike bait but not the best for Eye's.  Then why not use a small ball head jig with live minnow?  Or use jigging rod in the stabbin shack with a lure with just either a minnow head or section of minnow tail. If you still want to go the route of tipups The key for hook size  this is what I do. Take the average minnow you will use.  Stick it under the dorsal fin the hook should just poke through the minnow but lay fairly tight to minnow side.  And the minnow should lay in the bend of that hook naturally. Without having a large amount of hook visible.    Small minnows use like a 10, 8. Med minnows use like a 8 to 6. treble. 4's and 2's are used for hanging big suckers for Pike.  If the fish pick up the minnow but drop it go to single hooks and try tail hooking them or reverse hook the minnow on a small ball head jig.  Like I first said there are too many variables in your scenario sense you haven't ice a Eye yet there is nothing to go by All you are getting is basics. I would load a few rods with different methods and go from there when a Eye is seen you can watch the Eye and bomb it with different methods.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2014, 02:57 PM »
First my thought is what size sucker? What's the size of the Eye's? Can you get fat head minnows? Or small golden shiners? Suckers really are great Pike bait but not the best for Eye's.

Could not disagree more..
I have caught hundreds of walleyes on suckers over the years and I feel they are the best bait you can use under a tipup. Must be a regional thing because everyone who fishes little bay de noc up here with tipups uses suckers anywhere from 4-8".. I personally prefer them 6" or larger..I have caught plenty of 15" walleye on 6" suckers before. I would say under normal conditions they outfish smaller fatheads and shiners by a wide wide margin

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I appreciate all the info guys!!!  Agree or disagree, gives me plenty if ideas.  Last week I got these little soft bluegill replica baits by storm. I think they are an inch and a half or so.  Had a eye come in Thursday and nip at the trebble hook on the bottom of the bait. Not sure what he was doing, but I set the hook. Had him on for a split sec.  Our water visibility isn't the greatest this year, perhaps I should have waited on the hook set, but like I said, I couldn't see real well.  Still no takers on tip ups.  No worries, back at it after the arctic blast!  Stay warm guys!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Could not disagree more..
I have caught hundreds of walleyes on suckers over the years and I feel they are the best bait you can use under a tipup. Must be a regional thing because everyone who fishes little bay de noc up here with tipups uses suckers anywhere from 4-8".. I personally prefer them 6" or larger..I have caught plenty of 15" walleye on 6" suckers before. I would say under normal conditions they outfish smaller fatheads and shiners by a wide wide margin

I would not disagree because its totally a regional thing. Around here a sucker doesn't even get a look. And on many lakes a minnow called a Rosy Red will just slay them. This isn't about disagreeing with a post its about trying to inform someone to look at different techniques to ice fish he really isn't having too much luck doing so far. All I am trying to do is get this fisherman to expand his knowledge and keep a open mind their is more than one way to catch a fish.   And don't think this post is written to slam you or your comment it isn't. Its again to open the eyes of others to keep a open mind when it comes to fishing.  Good Luck and stay safe.

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I wish I had more options when it comes to minnows.  It suckers or shiners, period.  I think I'm going to try a bigger fathead minnow on a glow jig next. Thanks again guys.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:44 AM »
If you are going to try jigging those fish get a small bag of Gulp minnows too. At times they work great. Summer time here up on a river hooked behind a ball head minnow they just slam the eyes with them and you get a few fish on just on of those minnows. You can also cut them to use pieces if needed

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2014, 12:23 PM »
I run single hooks all the time on my tip-ups. I can't say whether or not they are better than trebles but I still catch fish. As stated before use a leader of either mono or flouro. I've used shiners and suckers personally caught more on suckers but that might be because I really didn't know what I was doing when using shiners. It would prolly be a good idea to have a jigging rod rigged with either a jig and minnow or jigging spoon and minnow head. Best of luck to ya in the stabbin cabin.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline RB13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:31 AM »
When you guys are using single hooks do you ever hook them through the tail or lip?  I find you get alot of action that way but im not sure if it works any better/worse. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:23 PM »
With a single hook.  Hook them right in front of the dorsal fin with hook point towards the front of the fish. Have more hook ups that way compared to running the hook sideways into the fish
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.