Author Topic: what size hooks on tip ups?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline wptaxid

• IceShanty Rookie
what size hooks on tip ups?
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:26 PM »
What size trbles are you guys using with shoners from 3-4.5"?  I was using #12s and in the past week I've had 13 flags and only landed 3 fish - 1 bass, 1 crappie, and 1 walleye.  They were all hooked deep.  The fish I've lost were mostly walleyes and approx. anywhere from 15" to 23".   I feel as if I'm letting them take the bait long enough but maybe I'm not?  Worried if I wait too long they'll drop it?  Any words of advice or opinions.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: what size hooks on tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:14 PM »
# 8 or 6

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:22 PM »
# 12 trebles  Are you waiting till they stop? When walleyes take the bait they keep it in their mouth and swim with it for a little bit. Then they stop and eat the bait.  I wait till they stop and wait 15 seconds for every fish  before I even move the tip up. Walleye wont spit the bait out. They could of been some bass or perch that didn't have the bait all the way in when you set the hook. 

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:10 PM »

Offline wptaxid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:05 AM »
# 12 trebles  Are you waiting till they stop? When walleyes take the bait they keep it in their mouth and swim with it for a little bit. Then they stop and eat the bait.  I wait till they stop and wait 15 seconds for every fish  before I even move the tip up. Walleye wont spit the bait out. They could of been some bass or perch that didn't have the bait all the way in when you set the hook.

I had 2 fish to the hole and they were definately walleyes.  All times except 1 the fish wasn't moving.  I didn't think that I was getting on them too soon but definately could jave givem them a few more minutes.  I didn't want to give them too long since I am afraid that theyd drop the bait.  Also not too fond of gut hooking undersize fish or bigger spawners that I'd put back. 

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I stopped using trebles and switched to a single #4 baitholder hook. Havent missed many at all.

Offline wptaxid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Fishinjohn, did you notice an increase in fish landed with the single hooks?  I'd think they'd definately hold better.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Fishinjohn, did you notice an increase in fish landed with the single hooks?  I'd think they'd definately hold better.
Yes ! I also switched from a ice line/braid line tied straight to hook, to running a 16''-24" floro leader. Those two combinations really changed my success rate. We all know eyes tend to be very finicky at times. IMO running a single hook allows fish to mouth bait and not neccesarily deteck a hook, and if we're really honest, what is the difference in soft water fishing minnows in the fall with a single hook and fishing single hooks on the ice? Most of the time fishing in the fall, im using a single hook with bait on bottom, just.like hard water with a tip up. I think usuing a mono or floro leader will increase your success rate higher than a hook change..

Offline wptaxid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I also run flouro leaders.  I was nt having issues getting bites, just hooking and landing with those #12 trebles.  I used to use #8s and am going back to those and #2 gamakatsu wide gaps which I use open water.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:05 AM »
i use single gamakatsu circle hooks with a flouro leader. i let them run. when they stop i pick up the tipup gently and ive them a little extra line, then when they run again i tighten the line and bring them in. the opposite pressures do a good job setting the circle hooks. works pretty well on everything. flouro is a must in my books now.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:27 AM »
I've only been ice fishing for about 5 years and one of the things that struck me when I started was the use of treble hooks with bait.  As was mentioned earlier, very few people that I know use treble hooks in the soft water, so why would you use them thru the ice?  I don't see the difference.  I have no qualms with people that want to keep what they catch, but trebles have to kill a lot more fish if you want to release them.  I switched to circle hooks also and don't feel that I miss many fish because of it.  They do take some getting used to though--its hard to break the habit of jerking the line when you want to set the hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.