Author Topic: Run and Gun Eye Setup & Tips  (Read 2237 times)

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Run and Gun Eye Setup & Tips
« on: Nov 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Hello,

Getting back into hardwater fishing after taking a few years off. This year plan is to get geared up to run and gun walleyes on the  WI inland waters this winter.

First off my run a gunning transportation is my Kaw Mule 610. Plan is the run without my Clam Nanook during the day to cover lots of water, and just jigging from the seat of my mule.

I do own one of the first fl-8 vex's, but just ordered a Hummingbird 597ci ice locator with a Navionics  North hot map cards.

I going to use my Jiffy electric auger for punching the loads of holes.

I ordered 4 Frabill ice hunter combos in med action. Figured I set one up with a jig, one with a spoon, one with Chubby, and one with a jigging Rap. Question : Whats would be a good line to spool them up with?

If you got some good tips on lure selection , size and colors for northern WI stained water please post!

Or just tips on run and gunning eyes, Please post!

This is going to be kind of a new way of fishing for me, but I will try to post my setup as I get it put together, and my results after I hit the water shootn ;D

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Run and Gun Eye Setup & Tips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 12:38 AM »
Sounds like you go it set up! I do about the same thing as you. How many holes can you drill with the electric? One tip I can give you is to go out with the GPS in the boat and "scout" out places to set up early in the AM. Tip of points, rock bars, channel breaks so you can pull up and hit a high probability spot right away. No looking around, pull up drill 5 to ten holes and hopefull your on fish. Don't die on a spot, keep moving until you locate fish, just like boat fishing. Walleyes will hit in the middle of the day you just have to be closer to them.

I am going to run the "fast latch" system this year for switching baits fast. I run 8lb Berkly sensation orange line with a 6lb floro leader with the quick clip on it. Once the fish come in to react to the bait I can change up fast. I start with a PK spoon, then a rap and maybe a pimple and if they are just off a lead head jig with a minnow. Most of the time I don't use bait just run and gun like your talking about. I have three of four rods rigged and ready and with me all the time. I do use fused like for rattle baits and not done great, yet, with them, they do pull fish in. Most if the time I switch out to a spoon or rap to get them to bite.

Good luck.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 05:16 AM »
I have my 2 deep cycle batts in the box of the mule, so I could a drill lot of holes before i would need a recharge. I do have a little 2000watt Honda clone gen, that I could recharge right on the the ice in between spots if needed. I lost my left arm 7 years ago below the elbow, so the electric auger works pretty good for me. I don't have to worry about starting or anything, just hit the button and drill. ;)

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:45 PM »
The "Fast Tatch" clips are awesome for changing lures very fast and easy even when it was cold.  I have been using them for two years now and have found many uses for them.
Gouldin

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I run 6# micro ice and always fish with a BB swivel and 18" or so leader attached to a Fas Snap.  Makes lure changes a breeze.  Just make sure to retie them every now and then, knots weaken pretty quick.  The BB swivel cuts line twist a ton.

Drill drill drill.  Just gotta cover water.  I always have several rods rigged up.  If a fish shows up but does not bite, throw down another offering.  I don't use anything that will "anchor" me to a spot.  Tip ups and other setlines make me not want to move.  They don't get deployed until I am on fish. 

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2013, 03:17 PM »
I run 6# micro ice and always fish with a BB swivel and 18" or so leader attached to a Fas Snap.  Makes lure changes a breeze.  Just make sure to retie them every now and then, knots weaken pretty quick.  The BB swivel cuts line twist a ton.

Drill drill drill.  Just gotta cover water.  I always have several rods rigged up.  If a fish shows up but does not bite, throw down another offering.  I don't use anything that will "anchor" me to a spot.  Tip ups and other setlines make me not want to move.  They don't get deployed until I am on fish. 

X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.