The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry 09/10  (Read 25110 times)

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Canyon Ferry 09/10
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:10 AM »
3-4 each would be a good day compared to the two trips I've made up there this year
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I fished hole in the wall on Sunday. It was pretty slow I started at 730 till 12. I caught 4 perch three of them were around a pound. Also caught one rainbow that was 4 pounds. All the fish were caught in 36 fow. They only hit with some movement. Half hit a silver swedish pimple with worm and the other half hit little ice jigs with maggots. Tried fishing by the silos in the afternoon for trout without a single bit. I only saw one trout on the ice at silos from some guys that had been there all day. At hole in the wall most people had a couple of perch with nobody doing well. Ice still 10" but getting really soft.

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Yeah, we fished out at Duck Creek last saturday. There was plenty of ice, enough for the ATV anyway, but we fished 3 different depths (23ft, 31ft, and 45ft.), and jigged all day, never marking a fish on the vexilar. Kind of lame. Not even a smelly old trout.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:20 PM »
any good news on the CF perch lately

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:26 AM »
No good news on the perch yet at all. I'm not gonna get out until the day after Christmas, but plan on heading north from duck creek to about 45-50 FOW to see what I can find. I'll let you know the report when I get back. Anybody else going out over the weekend?

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I might try to get out saturday, does anyone know if the pressure ridge at the silos has iced over?   Has anyone been able to locate the trout?

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:16 PM »
pressure ridge still there but you can drive north or south to get around them.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Fished just out from the hole in the wall marked quite a few fish on the Vexilar, morning started out catching 5 fish before 9am slowed down around 10:30 AM...ended up catching 11 fish all Day with a total of 24 lines..so it is still slower then I would like it to be....Vexilar is almost a must to be successfull...alot of the fish were requiring jigging in order to get them interested in biting...

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:00 PM »
My daughter and I kicked some arse on the perch and walleye today 30 perch 7 walleye biggest measuring 17''.

Live Free Or Die.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:54 PM »
AND.......you were where......and you used........

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:26 PM »
no tell'm creek, and jigging rod with a jig. lol
Live Free Or Die.

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:35 PM »
looks like a nice day....sure alot of snow on the ferry? must of snowed over night.....
nice catch anyways lol...............
(PATHFINDER)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Another decent day at canyon ferry, caught limit of perch by 1 pm and several more eyes fishing seemed to die at 3:30. Any one else have any luck? Using chubby darters and swedish pimples. only using 1 or 2 poles.:o
Live Free Or Die.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:45 AM »
we were out on the south end but did not get that far out because of the pressure ridge that I will not walk acrross much to my husbands disappointment  ;D There was about 12 inches of ice. Has anybody been off of duck creek and if so how is the ice down there???

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Oh yeah and we only had 2 bites  >:(

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:02 PM »
we were out on the south end but did not get that far out because of the pressure ridge that I will not walk acrross much to my husbands disappointment  ;D There was about 12 inches of ice. Has anybody been off of duck creek and if so how is the ice down there???

I drove down there yesterday and there were a TON of trucks with four wheelers going on the ice at Duck Creek.

I didn't check the ice thickness but from the number of people going on there you should be fine.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Thanks FishN4Eyes we may try and head out there this weekend if I can talk my husband into that instead of Duck Hunting. I will let everybody know what we find.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Fished off of Duck Creek both days this weekend. The ice is good, 10" of good hard ice, Some numchuck even had a pickup out there. There are a few pressure ridges starting to form about 1.2 miles from shore, one is open about 6-8" and the other has shifted upward about 2-3" inches. We drilled holes all around and they seem to both be very safe to cross, as we drove acrossed them with the fourwheelers. THe perch were biting good on hali's until about 9:00 am and then started up again around 1:00pm so if you aren't going early you might just as well wait until noon or so to head out. We ended up with limits both days, and also picked up a couple of Walleyes. Just a simple glow hook and maggots weighted to get to the bottom and jigging the tar out of it seemed to do the trick with the waleyes. Fished in approx. 52 FOW all weekend. Hope this info helps, tight lines and good fishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:58 AM »
thanks for a post with some info.  Fished today and yesterday dec 27 and 28 with okay success.  11 yesterday and 13 today all good size perch in about 44 fow.  Sounds like we might have to try deeper cuz it was pretty slow out there.  You really had to work to get bites.  All the fish were on pimples jigged hard until you saw the fish on the finder, then work the fish.  Soft bites and not much on the dead sticks.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:20 PM »
I was thinking of making a trip but dont have a wheeler to get farther out on the ice.  Is it worth it to take a trip up there since I would have to walk way out to find the fish?

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:12 PM »
As long as you have a sled it's really not all that far. You can drive down a little ways past the boat launch at the silo's to get to hole in the wall.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:06 PM »
does anyone fish anywhere else but hole in the wall? ive only ice fished cf a few times but have logged plenty of hours from the boat and know where to go. does anyone ever fish the eastside, like confederate or goose bay? i just hear people always ice fishing hole in the wall and i have too the times that i have gone out. just wondering if people explore away from the crowds.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:59 AM »
never have but I have talked to guys who fish the duck creek side and fish goose bay also.  They said they do good.  I think its more or less the same story out there.  Two guys I've talked to out there now say they have caught quite a few eyes of goose bay.  I'm thinking of trying that out one of these times

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:03 AM »
i was thinking the same thing. ive caught eyes and perch all over the lake in the summer and figured they have to be elsewhere than just hole in the wall. granted its nice to run over and ask your neighbors if they are catching anything. makes ya feel a little better when you arent either! when i head up there im gona try other parts of the lake for fun.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:58 PM »
nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Any news on the trout fishing?  Also, What's all the hype about the perch fishing? I have never tried it and am kinda curious.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:15 PM »
we went trout fishing last Sat with only two bites. The reason we perch fish is because a. you can keep more and b. they taste alot better the trout.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:54 PM »
was thinking on going out to Hellgate Bay ice fishing on Friday to bring in the New Years was wondering if anyone has been there this year and how thick the ice is......also how the fishing has been....hoping to catch a few EYES and some Perch

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:37 PM »
The bay was froze, but lake was not 4 or 5 days ago.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline haliman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:16 PM »
did you fish the bay or do you kow if it is fishing well? Thanks for the ice update...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.