Author Topic: walleye locations  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Gordy24

• IceShanty Rookie
walleye locations
« on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Here is a snap shot of a lake that I will be trying to fish a lot this winter.  I'm fairly new to ice fishing and I usually target panfish, because it is relatively easy to catch them and I have had limited equipment. I bought a vexilar this fall in hopes that I would be able to get out and try to find other fish.   I've been trying to read up on finding good places to look for walleye and with some of that info I have marked on the map where might be places to start.  Just wondering if you would agree with what I picked out or if there is anything I missed.  Do any of those spots look better to start off at than others?  I'll be out punching holes this weekend to see if I can find any!

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: walleye locations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Looks to be good structure and the places you have marked are places to start I always like to check drop offs and deep water adjacent to them shallow flats in low light times close to deep water and average depth humps. But if you can't find them just start cutting holes and search with a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow and your electronics if nothing comes in after 3-5 min move on. This technique works well for me hope it does for you too. I never stay in the same place in the summer if not catching fish why would you in the winter.

Offline BoonDockin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Looks like good places to start looking for them

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:07 PM »
In-depth Outdoors had a show on walleye fishing and they talk about structure and the night bite. Season 9 episode 3

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Early morning/late evening think shallow flats/tops of those humps. Move deeper as the day progresses. That's some awesome structure. Lots of inside turns to check out. I'd have tipups set on transition areas. I.e. the areas where I gradually goes from shallow tondeep. These are the areas the eyes will swim up. Fish don't like swimming up and over steep dropoffs/cliffs. Theyll take the slow and steady incline every time.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.