Author Topic: Finding Walleye in this lake?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Finding Walleye in this lake?
« on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Im wanting to add walleye to a species to target through the ice. Im just looking for the more expirenced eye anglers to look over this lake map and maybe say where they might think would be good areas to work and why?

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Finding Walleye in this lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I would start on that large flat in the middle and run my tip ups toward the sunken island at 25 foot deep...... Run some on both sides of the sunken island lots of sharp depth changes on the left and a possible feeding flat on the right.....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I would agree with eyehi. I usually fish underwater structures, and usually stay away from flats.  Sometimes I will fish off points or in front of bays that hold bait fish and panfish.  Tonight for example, the three of us had nine tip ups out and we had five tip ups we had on drops offs and the other four we had up on a flat and those didnt get any flags.  But the five flags we had 17 flags on. Some days the bite better one shiners and other on small suckers.  I usually switch them every other tip up. I use the lightest mono for a leader as I can get away with. with the smallest sinker that will take the minnow down the hole with a size 12 treble hook. The other spot I would try is just southest of the 25' hole where is goes 3' to 5' to 10' and 15' looks to be all within a hundred yards. Its a underwater finger/point.  This time of year i do try to stick to deeper structures during january and in december and feb i try stick to shallower structures.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:50 PM »
One point to mention is from my expirience if you find fish on a flat they are usually in feeding mode..... It is a good idea to place a tip up or two one the flat and if they are hot you can adjust accordingly.....
Budweiser pro staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.