Author Topic: No light????  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Blue83

• Team IceShanty Regular
No light????
« on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:51 PM »
So i read that you guys dont use lights at night for eyes? I am gonna fish in about 4 feet and try for them, is it gonna hurt that i have a lantern on in my shanty? Cause it would be a very long dark night then. Thanks

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
Re: No light????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:23 AM »

Hi.....I think they are talking about a light in the water to attract fish.....Make sure you check your regulations if you decide to use an underwater light because it is illegal in some Districts like here in Ontario Canada where I am.....A lantern in your hut wouldn't throw much light underwater and you have to be able to see what you are doing and see your tip ups. So Yes go ahead and use a light in your hut.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:42 AM »
If yer gonna be sittin' as shallow as 4', maybe you could scale it back a bit. Maybe an L.E.D. headlamp while you're jiggin'.  You can always use more lite when it's needed (retying lines or whatever). I would try 2 minimize it on the whole. Fish are skittish enough when the water is that skinny.
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:40 AM »
I usually have a LED Headlamp on my hat, and a pop up lantern. (it turns on when you pop it open.)

IF you are going to leave the light on in the shack, be aware that you will need to be quiet, and watch how you create shadows.
The fish will be spooky enough in shallow water, noise, bright lights and shadows over head won't help.

I would fish deeper, and have your tip ups  in the shallow water.

JMO.

Wiener

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:19 AM »
On some water, you're gonna get more bites without such a bright light in the shelter, on other lakes the bright light in the shelter works in your favor.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:48 PM »
i would say if you do turn it down as low as it can go.

Offline jigfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:55 AM »
buddy of mine put a camera down and panned sideways to holes with lanterns above them . It looked like headlights blasting a beam to the bottom. I don't use light in the shallows. Came about that on a fluke chance. Was getting bit by crappies with the light on, lantern took a crap on me and a walleye hit when I was trying to restart it. Got it lit ,and nothing. turned it down and bang== walleye on. I use a heater, not a lantern. I also have a headlamp I use all the time. Hands free to tie,drill.drag ect. Nothing better than two red eyeballs shining back at you on way up out of hole. Red beam won't spook fish, white gets them thrashing, not good.
work is for people who can't fish.....

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:14 AM »
I know guys that fish for Crappie with a Lantern, but set up their tip ups outside the lantern area just for that reason.

It is also one of the few times that I will use a foam hole cover when I am fishing tipups.

Give it a try, you never know.

Wiener

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:28 PM »
I usually have a LED Headlamp on my hat, and a pop up lantern. (it turns on when you pop it open.)

IF you are going to leave the light on in the shack, be aware that you will need to be quiet, and watch how you create shadows.
The fish will be spooky enough in shallow water, noise, bright lights and shadows over head won't help.

I would fish deeper, and have your tip ups  in the shallow water.

JMO.

Wiener

definatly... in deeper water you can use a spotlight if you like, but up shallow, them eyes are gonna spook. keep noise and light at a minumum in less than 10 feet
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:54 AM »
try a hole cover with a slot cut through it to the centerwith a 1'' hole to jig through. when you hook a fish slide the cover off the hole with your line going through the slot. this will block alot of your light going into the water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.