The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Updated New life for the old One Armed Bandit w/ pictures  (Read 1490 times)

Offline chocolatehuntinglabs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Park, IA
I went with the old saying "Why buy it, if you can try to build it?".  So I did with the old Jiffy i bought last year.  Turned the old one armed bandit into a more modern handle assembly.  Just got it fitted tonight.  Have to put a coat of paint on it, and figure out the throttle linkage.  Can't wait to try it out, and hopefully no more almost busting my wrist.  I should also mention that I have $0 invested in it.  The black handle parts are an old push lawn mower handle assembly modified to the size I needed, the 3/4" bar for the handle to slide on I had in the shed, and the plate that bolts on the the gearbox was made at work on the plasma table with scraps that we had around.  

Before

After

Got the rest of the mods finished on the Jiffy.
Gave the motor a quick refresh on the paint.  Taped over the old decals so they are still there, would like to find some new ones.  Got the handle assembly painted and bolted together.  Made a throttle assembly out of a brake handle off of my old mountain bike, and a the throttle cable out of an old weed whacker that had taken a crap on me this year.  I left the old throttle on there for the first few runs to make sure everything holds up.

Offline toocheaptosmoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is it lunch time yet?
Re: New life for the old One Armed Bandit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Sweeeeeet.  8)
[signature removed]

Offline Crumps brother

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Very nice. Can't wait to see it after you slap some fresh paint on it...

Just how old is that thing?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:15 PM »
get some of that heavey rubber electrical tape to run across the handle or some other type insulating tape. the bicycle handle tape works good. looks good, way better than the original handle

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Looks great. Gotta be easier to hang onto. Good luck with the throttle.

get some of that heavey rubber electrical tape to run across the handle or some other type insulating tape. the bicycle handle tape works good. looks good, way better than the original handle

Hockey stick tape. Works like a charm. Mine has the same type metal handle. Wrapped it just like I would a hockey stick. Cheap and easy.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Hi chocolatehuntinglabs

Awesome.. Great Job.. I like the fact you were able to reuse the lawnmower handles.
Like a couple of the guys have already said... slap some paint on her and your cooking.

Ya, how old is it? A collectors item for sure.
Good for you Choc.

AltaIce
   8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Park, IA
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I found these things at Lowes the other day that are pieces of rubber that you put in boiling water for two minutes and wrap around the handle.  It will even form to you hands.  Haven't had time to work on it since I got the handle fitted, but got the wifes new tub, and tile installed in the bathroom today.  Gotta keep her happy.  ;D  
Not sure of the age, but it's new enough to have the plastic tank.  Runs like a top.  Had it up at Devils Lake last January, and it was 20 below damn near the whole time, and never had any problems starting, and drill through the 30" of ice.  Picked it up for $125 last year.  Can't complain.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Park, IA
Re: Updated New life for the old One Armed Bandit w/ pictures
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Updated pictures at the top.  Got it finished.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: Updated New life for the old One Armed Bandit w/ pictures
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:47 AM »

Nice Job Choc.  It looks great.

8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.