Author Topic: Tipup Lighting for night fishing  (Read 12106 times)

Scott Freeman

Tipup Lighting for night fishing
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:39 PM »
The best light is no light. I hate buying batteries! Get some white mailbox reflector tape stick it on your flag and wrap it around your flag pole. I cut a narrow strip about 3/4" wide 3" long and place it horizontally on the flag. shined with a mag light you can see this for 100+ yards.  

j.cilley

Re: Tipup Lighting for night fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2002, 07:18 AM »
I fish NH near the canadan border,this is the only way I have found to keep track and sight of my traps after dark.batteries do not last!  this does  

Jadek

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2002, 07:19 AM »
I fish Lake Scugog in Port Perry Ontario. This was my wife's idea and it works great. She also loves to go ice fishing. We take a medium glass jar and drill holes in the top of the lid. Inside we put a candle and place it near the tipup. It works great. We also use orange reflector tape on the tipup for added visibility.  

Jon Rasmussen

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 07:20 AM »
Here's an even easier way to detect a flag with reflective tape, use two pieces spaced 6-8" apart on the flag so that when the flag is down you'll see the tapes side by side, and they will be vertical when the flag is tripped. This allows you to see a strike from farther away at night, giveing you more options on covering a piece of structure thouroughly.

Jordan

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 07:21 AM »
This works quiet well. I am only 14 years old but my dad said i had a good idea for this. I had him drive me to Wal-Mart to the sporting goods. There is a cheep little coleman lantern for $5 run on batteries. I bought 3 of them for myself when we go ice fishing at night. I simply place it next to the tip-up and weight. It works well when your going around cleaning out yours holes to. It gives off good light. From Shawano Wisconsin  

John-

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 07:22 AM »
I picked this up from a guy in Pembine, WI. I use the 10" Frabil tip ups. I make a simple electric circiut using a wire coat hanger, 9-volt battery and an old Xmas light stringer. It requires some drilling but is not difficult. I bent a piece of the coat hanger into a "V". At the ends of the hanger I bent it about a 1/2 inch away from the opening of the V and secured into the top of the Frabil. I wired the battery in the little compartment and connected 1 end to the coat hanger and 1 end to the metal part of the tip up stick. The xmas tree bulb was placed in the flag which was cut out a little bit. Once the tip up flag pole hits the hanger it completes the circuit. It took me about 2 to 3 hours and a few beers to perfect the system on 6 Frabils. I used 9-volt connectors from radio shack. The materials are cheap and the bulbs can be seen across the lakes at night. I'm going fishing in the morning and I'll post some pictures when I come back on Monday or so.  

Mike-

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 07:24 AM »
My brother used to do flyins ice fishing to Canada...his idea (which I thought was great and have used at night since) take a good old coffee can and fill it with charcoal and let 'er rip. set it up wind of the hole. It will shed enough light to see the flag and also keep your hole from freezing up!  

The Huner

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 07:24 AM »
Simple circuit with christmas light,9v battery,battery holder any mercury switch. very light and compact. get it all at radio shack. merc switches are being phased out because of hazard but now the switch uses a tiny ball bearing to make contact.wire it all up in series. GO PEMBINE  

jeff

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2002, 12:00 PM »
I use a system like john only i used the ground wire from 14-2 (bare copper wire, won't rust).  I made a loop with the copper wire by drilling a hole in the tip-up base, one on each side of the flag spring.  The wire copper wire is bent so that when the flag goes up it will rest tightly against it.  I use a 12-volt battery like the one from my vexlar and an old car head light, sealed beam.  I wire one of the battery terminals to the headlight and the other to the copper wire on the tip-up.  I attach another wire to the flag wire and that goes to the headlight.  I use alligator clips to make it easy to assemble.  When the flag goes up it completes the circuit and the headlight comes on.

The nice thing is the light is only on when you get a strike so it uses very little battery power.  The battery is also rechargeable.  Also you sure know when you get a strike, it lights up the whole lake.  The bonus is that you have lots of light to land the fish and get it off the hook.  I prop the headlight in the snow so it aims at the shack. 8)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2002, 03:25 PM »
I tie 1" cow bells to my flags and add reflector tape to them. When you hear the "ding a ling" check your tipup with a flashlight.

slug

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2002, 09:25 AM »
what i use on my tip ups is reflective tape.  I put that on the pole and the flag and you can see that more than 150-200 yards easily, but the name brand i use 3m reflective tape because it sticks alot better in the cold.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2002, 10:42 AM »
thanks for the tip. i put reflective tape on all mine.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline DeadStick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish IT ALL NIGHT LONG!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2002, 03:17 AM »
I saw a product that has a light on the top of the tip up and when you get a hit the top of the tipup pops up and the light goes on..?..anyone tried these..?

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2002, 12:36 PM »
it is the frabill lite bite tip up it works ok but you gotta be carefull with them they are all plastic and if you drop one on the ice it will brake. i had 3 now i have 2 but the lite does work well :'(

catchnmall

« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:13 PM »
I have tried the pager system from strike master and those things eat batteries like crazy.  My buudy bought some of these lights and they really work well...

www.icefishinglighthou se.com

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I've always believed light spooks the walleyes so when I go up to the tipup I usually just use a flashlight instead of the lantern.  My RiteLites have done okay for me, except when I dropped one in the hole last week.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:54 PM »
I guess I like to keep in simple and compact with the HT enterprises clip on lights with the 3 volt lithiums . Put them on when you need them take them off
when you don't .Really liked the coffee can and charcoal deal,going to try that some night. Try spraying flags black for contrast,can see them alot better against the snow. Lightweight Aurora lithium 3 yr battery headlamp,they rock!
Just don't like shining flashlights around all the time. :'( :'( :'(
myspace.com/tat2byjt

trapdaddy21

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:59 PM »
the icefishinglighthouse lights are the cat's a$$. i have no complaints with mine, they work great. i just bought two more yesterday at gander mountain in eau claire for less than ten bucks. i've messed around with all the other methods mentioned, but these are the best!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:29 PM »
it is the frabill lite bite tip up it works ok but you gotta be carefull with them they are all plastic and if you drop one on the ice it will brake. i had 3 now i have 2 but the lite does work well :'(

Try taking the working parts off the broken one and make one out of wood.
Use one off the goods ones for a pattern.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2004, 08:42 AM »
For my money the HT tip-up lights are the best.  I'm on the same set of batteries 3 years running now.  Just checked them out getting ready for the season and not a dim bulb in the bunch.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:00 AM »
Does anyone use the glow sticks. Attach to flag arm, slide small piece of pvc over glow stick. When flag trips, pvc slides down, exposing glow stick.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:24 PM »
Hey I like that tip!
Anthony

HYDRASPORT73

« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2004, 01:23 AM »
I saw these lights at walmart that go on your valve stems . I bought a set to try them out and must say , they work alsome . They stay of until the flag is tripped and come on and blink while the flag moves . I use them mostly on my Windlas tip ups but am sure they will work on any . You can unsrew them and take the batteries out while tranporting them .

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:32 AM »
I saw these lights at walmart that go on your valve stems . I bought a set to try them out and must say , they work alsome . They stay of until the flag is tripped and come on and blink while the flag moves . I use them mostly on my Windlas tip ups but am sure they will work on any . You can unsrew them and take the batteries out while tranporting them .

Now that sounds like an interesting idea!!! What do the Wallyworld valve stem lights run (or, perhaps I should better say, cost)???

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2005, 08:11 AM »
I tried the valve stem thing and they are a pain in the a$$.  The price is right 2 for under $5.00, I bought 2 of them and 2 valve stem extenders to screw them onto.  I then used a tiewrap to attach them to the flag rod.  What they have inside is a very small spring and I mean small, that vibrates when it's moved.  The vibration causes the spring to touch a small 3 side piece of metal that surrounds the spring, that contact causes it to light up.  It would work great if your flag moves enough to get the spring to touch the metal, I had to take them apart and use a magnifying glass to bend the metal closer to the spring, leaving the distance of about 2 hairs between them.  They seem to work most of the time once you do that.  They make for a cheap light but I don't think they are that dependable.

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:55 AM »
For fishing trout, ill keep the lantern right next to the hole. Works well on ice. Even better in the summer.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2005, 02:42 PM »
OK, so who here has the posting of pics down to a science????
I made some great tips with lights but can't get them on with this BS dial up connection.
Would love to find someone to post them for us. I am able to send slow photos to others but get dumped when I go to photo bucket.
Night fishing is great when you have the stuff set up right so you can see a flag.
Anyone have the posting down please give me an email to send pics too.
Thanks. Gary (Gamalot)
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:22 PM »
OK, so who here has the posting of pics down to a science????
I made some great tips with lights but can't get them on with this BS dial up connection.
Would love to find someone to post them for us. I am able to send slow photos to others but get dumped when I go to photo bucket.
Night fishing is great when you have the stuff set up right so you can see a flag.
Anyone have the posting down please give me an email to send pics too.
Thanks. Gary (Gamalot)

Gary,

Sent you an email message as well. If you want to email the photos to me I will get them posted for you. I just set up a Photobucket account a few days ago and have a few things posted.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Done and Thank you very much. I love this thread and enjoy the inventiveness but here in the woods I am back in the 18th century with the internet.
Again, Thanks.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Here are Gamalots two pictures for the Tip Up lights he rigged up. Look Great! If he's "game" perhaps he will add the details on cost and sources for these parts to this topic. How about it Gamalot, how about a walk-through ??? Again, Great Job!!!

-Reelcharacter

Overall view of tip ups with light:

Closeup view of the light parts and assembly:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.