Author Topic: bite me tip ups  (Read 12684 times)

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
bite me tip ups
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:28 PM »
i've been doing some web serches and came across the ''bite me'' tip-up. $100.00 each made in Wisconson. 
has anyone made their own?
fished with the bite me brand?
seems like a great idea.   not trying to stir up anything just asking. looking for pictures/comments. seems a guy could make his own given the time/materials and proper trip set-up for alot less than a hundred bucks.    can't post pictures as of now. did a yahoo search. the youtube video is really cool but, the walleye are really small.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: bite me tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Hey Gooseblaster, might this be it?       http://www.boxtipups.com/

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:08 PM »
that's one of the sights i visited.    just got to get a better look at the set-up without spending a hundred bucks.    thanks for the post.  the video on this is really cool but, the walleye are smaller than the perch i usually catch on a modified polar.    thanks

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:00 AM »
WOW $100 a piece. Too expensive for me.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:22 AM »
WOW $100 a piece. Too expensive for me.

Yup.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:19 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=160906.0

I believe this is what you're talking about.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:41 PM »
i posted a thread bout this a couple weeks ago and didnt get any useful results back. i built 3 box tip ups from memory of using my buddies. they pretty popular in the green bay, wi area. i will try to get some pics on here tomorrow. basically what i did was get some .5'' x 6'' board cut into 24'' in pieces. make box. buy your tip up line spool your gonna use and note the inside diameter of the hole in the center of spool. get a wooden dowel that will fit through the hole. with the spoolon the dowel mount the dowel inside the box. dont mount it right in the middle but mount it more to one side so you have more room to bring up fish. you need to attach some sort of arm on spool to hold the tripwire. i used 1'' of the dowel i had on hand. for the trigger i used a a coat hanger. drilled a hole in the back of the box bout 5'' from the corner 2'' from the top. once you get the trigger bent right you gonna need some weight to pull the trigger down and the flag up.

this may sound confusing now but when you see the pics you will get it. i have caught crappies and perch on these boxes. oh and total cost of the boxes is like $11 a piece.

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:41 PM »
At $100 a pop those puppies should come with a lifetime supply of bait :tipup:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Yea they are very similar to Finicky Fish Factory, I have a couple of them.  They aren't made anymore but you see them out there for sale.  They were expensive but they will out fish any other tip-up.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Pretty cool little idea.  I imagine that anyone with a little carpentry/mechinical skills could build one.  Looks like a fly rod reel to me.   I may have to build one of my own design to tinker around with down in the shop to pass this winter away. 

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Just my opinion but there is a much much easier way to do this. I have built 3 of these. By simply building the box
and placing a ht polar tipup on the outside of the box. And using a oil bottle candle inside the box it keeps the trip shaft and line warm the hole does not freeze over and everything works very freely. I do not have any pictures tho.

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2012, 12:51 PM »
The Finicky Fish Factory has a small electric motor that also jigs your bait.  You can have it on constant jig or on a timed jigging motion.  It keeps your live bait moving.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »
picked up some fly reels today at the wally world on clearance for 10 bucks a piece.  They have drags, and clickers   ;D ;D ;D ;D  Gonna start futzing around down the shed with a design of my own. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:42 PM »
from what i could tell on the video, the heater was a candle inside of a tomato paste size can, inside of a soup size can. loosley bolted to the left wall to piviot/dump.
the flag was an orange ping-pong ball on a dogleg wire with a weight to make it drop to the back of the box and raise the ''flag''.
it sure looked like a fly reel on a piviot bar with a wing nut.    i think a reel seat from a busted rod that slid back and forth on a piece of wood dowel or aluminum round stock would work well.   

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:49 PM »
i posted a thread bout this a couple weeks ago and didnt get any useful results back. i built 3 box tip ups from memory of using my buddies. they pretty popular in the green bay, wi area. i will try to get some pics on here tomorrow. basically what i did was get some .5'' x 6'' board cut into 24'' in pieces. make box. buy your tip up line spool your gonna use and note the inside diameter of the hole in the center of spool. get a wooden dowel that will fit through the hole. with the spoolon the dowel mount the dowel inside the box. dont mount it right in the middle but mount it more to one side so you have more room to bring up fish. you need to attach some sort of arm on spool to hold the tripwire. i used 1'' of the dowel i had on hand. for the trigger i used a a coat hanger. drilled a hole in the back of the box bout 5'' from the corner 2'' from the top. once you get the trigger bent right you gonna need some weight to pull the trigger down and the flag up.

this may sound confusing now but when you see the pics you will get it. i have caught crappies and perch on these boxes. oh and total cost of the boxes is like $11 a piece.

I am very interested in seeing the pics. I like making my own equipment when possible.

Matt

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:53 AM »
I think I'll stick with what I have now.  I still catch fish on them so I see no need to try these new fangled boxes.  Gotta take up a lot of space when you are transporting them too.
Mike

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:57 AM »
A 1" thick, 12" round piece of closed cell foam that costs $6 bucks works well for me, a lot less hassle then lugging and packing the big unweildy box ! To each his own I suppose, $100 bucks buys a lot of other ice fishing gear !!

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I'm an old retired guy fishing, hunting, and golf are my hobbies and if I can afford these things I just buy them.  My wife does all three activities with me and doesn't mind.  I have a magnum Otter sled that I tow behind my snow machine, and don't have problem carrying those extra large items.   The Finicky Fish Factory do catch alot of fish !

BOB

Norman Maclean

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:35 AM »
I also want to see your pics, and love makinfg my own stuff. As to $100 for a tip up? nto lately, and I have a 100 reasons why ,here is one. A young friend wanted to go with me, but wanted to use his own stuff, so he asked mea bout the type of tip up to buy, and listed those from $5-$29, I told him the job of a tip up, is a strike indicator. so is a bobber, would you buy the $5 bobber, or the$100 one?

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:46 PM »

this is the inside

FLAG!!

ready to fish.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:49 PM »
hey this is my hundredth post! anyways i will building 3 more of these tomorrow but will be using ht/schooley reels instead of just the tip up line spool on a dowel. with post some more pics when done. cant catch these on finickys or ht tip ups.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Thanks Boder.... These will work great on those colder days when it is too cold to use a tipdown. Thanks again for sharing.

Matt

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for posting boder .
I'm in the process of building one also, but more of a copy of the Bite Me Box ..
Once I get this one done....(kind of complicated)...I think I will build a couple based on yours .
Now where did I put those old fly reels....

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:15 PM »
i cant see paying that much money for them. its a ok idea but all it is, is a fly real in a box with a counter weighted flag system.. honeslty traditional tip ups have worked best for years why change man
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:08 PM »

I found these at walmart on clearance for 3 dollars. thought they would work perfect for the boxes. i left the rattle in them don't think it would matter any to remove it though. the reels held bout 20 yards of 25lbs test tip up line. to mount it on the inside of the box i took 2 dowels one cut to 4.5'' and one cut to 4'' both cut at 45 degrees. mounted to inside of box and mounted reel on.

I added a little Styrofoam on the dowel as a hook keeper. have not used this setup yet but i have a feeling they will work just as good if not better.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Boder, that is ingenious .
I especially like the 45*angle dowel .....and the foam instead of a cork .
I'm almost done with my bite-me-box....just got to bend up the trigger/release/flag system .
I should be out fishing...the temperature is 0 degrees C (32 F)....but this is fun too...but I can see why they charge $99 dollars for their system ....a lot of work\thought went into this system .

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2012, 03:44 PM »
I will be making my own also, I think I am like most on here, I have a lot more time than money. I have a nice garage shop to work in and making your own is fun. Plus it feels good to catch fish on your own home made stuff. I suppose if I had an extra $300 burning a hole in my pocket I would just buy 3 but I don't have that luxury.
A $10 fly reel, $5 worth of wood, a soup can for candle, a plastic golf ball, and a little hardware.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Boder, that is ingenious .
I especially like the 45*angle dowel .....and the foam instead of a cork .
I'm almost done with my bite-me-box....just got to bend up the trigger/release/flag system .
I should be out fishing...the temperature is 0 degrees C (32 F)....but this is fun too...but I can see why they charge $99 dollars for their system ....a lot of work\thought went into this system .

i think i might go the cork route eventually, would look better. guess i better go buy the old lady a bottle of wine.

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:07 PM »
i think i might go the cork route eventually, would look better. guess i better go buy the old lady a bottle of wine.

What about using the black pipe wrap stuff used to insulate water pipes? Would look just as nice as cork.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Why not use mono line on the reel?  The braid soaks up water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.