Author Topic: Tip ups keep gettin tangled, how do i keep em from gettin tangled at end of day?  (Read 12535 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys i have the polar tipups, and its a pain packin them up and then the line gettin tangled >:( with the others... cause there nothing to wrap the line up to keep it from free spooling. you guys have any advice or tips how to rig them up when your done fishin for the day? thanks

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
I found some Velcro wraps, approximately 12" long at walmart that i wrap around the spools and it keeps everything nice and neat. Or you could use a rubberband.

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
First go buy three bottles of wine, get your wife drunk but save the corks. Next cut the corks about 1/2 inch thick and superglue them to the bottom of the spools, now you can just stick the hook in the cork and no more tangles. Now for the important part... get up early and go fishing remember the wife had three bottles of wine after dinner and won't be up before noon and after that she will only want to lay on the couch nursing her hangover and you can come home happy because when you got to the lake your lines weren't all tangled up you got you tip-ups in the water in record time and she wasn't calling you all day because she was sleeping on the couch! Don't thank me now but see if you can pull it off first, then tell me how smart I am!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
rubber band or i just put the hook point into my spool but don't bury the barb into the line or you'll have a tough time freeing the hook and you may damage the threads in your dackron line and have a week spot

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rubber bands are ok, but they get brittle and break pretty quick.  Get the velcro wraps.  If you can't find the wraps, get a pack of the adhesive-backed velcro and then just stick them together.  I use those for my spools and for my wooden tipups- keeps them in a nice bundle in the sled.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Iceneyes! lol i will try that. but what if she up all nite and wears me out ;)? well i guess win win either way lol. just if i coud get her to fillet em? hhmmm...   ;D

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
those elastic hair bands work good too, last a long time..

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seriously though the corks work good and last me about two seasons! If she keeps you up all night you probably won't go fishing anyway!

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
use rubber bands when you take them off the spools just put them around your wrist, you can't loose them and they stay warm without getting brittle from the cold
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
this is one of those thought that we don't think about till we're out on the ice and fighting with our stuff. when we get home it's right back in their spots with not a thought till next time. well i don't think their will be a next time for me. i'm going to go and buy some of that velcro stuff. i do reaaly like this thought and thanks.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
Double back tape a magnet to the back of the spool keeps the hooks at bay.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
I forgot to mention with the velcro- make sure that when you put it on the spool that the male side- the plastic- is in.  IF you put the fuzzy side in you'll never use that hook again.  But... you will reuse the velcro until you've pulled that stuck hook out of your fingers two or three times.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have used the velcro wrap for years.  Works for me.  You can buy it in rolls where they sell sewing supplies.  I use about a 4" strip, just enough to completely go around the spool.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
I've just stuck the hook point into the dacron backing, but never all the way to the barb. Never realy had any problems at all. ???
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
I used clear rubberized type material that I picked up at Walmart and Velcro tape. It's cut to size to cover the spool and the hook, which sits in a hole drilled with a fosner bit. I made a few lure covers for on the rods, basically the same way.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Rubber bands...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
The system me and a buddy use is this. go to a craft store and buy some black 2"(or so) wide elastic for like $.50 a foot. Sew them in a circle that is roughly the size of desired tip-up spool. ( I use 10lb fishing line instead of thread. Dental floss does the trick too). Then go and buy some hook bonnets for rediculously cheap ($5 for 25 large 25 med 25 small). Put hook bonnets on. Put on elastic bands. Put tipups in a backpack or bag or whatever. Enjoy your tangle free fishing experience while watching your buddy deal with his tangles and pointy mess.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Velcro straps work best. Lay the end of strap on the spool place the hook on top of the strap. Wrap the strap completely around the spool and back over the top of hook covering it.  The hook will now be in between two layers of velcro and wont get tangled in your line or gear. I have tried cork, rubber bands, ect, but this works best for me, quick, easy, cheap. Easy to use in cold weather.

Hawk01

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
I'm sometimes lazy and wondered would a quart sized zip lock freezer bag with a zipper tip work at all?
As long as I kept them from the wind, they would keep the tangles limited to individual tip ups, any thoughts?
I liked the wife idea....where can I get one of those models?

The Wyoming tangler, may become my new ID
Thread killer

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rocket Launcher  ;D

Just another idea, I use "rocket launchers" made with plastic milk crates and 4" thin wall PVC to keep my tip ups separated and organized. Works great with Polar's.  I wrap the leaders around the frame and the flag (not end to end) and secure the hook to the barrel swivel at the end of my main line.  You can adjust the length by wrapping closer or farther from the spool, and the leader will not touch the sides of the tube.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
the only thing about the milk crate is where do you get one with out getting in trouble. i don't think you can go but one. but it is a great idea, nice to see.

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
the only thing about the milk crate is where do you get one with out getting in trouble. i don't think you can go but one. but it is a great idea, nice to see.
you can buy them

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
you can buy them
Where i would like to have one two get rid of one of my pales.

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where i would like to have one two get rid of one of my pales.
Usually anyplace that sells storage totes has them, Lowes, wallyworld, ect.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/78090.aspx?src=T10WFSHP1

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks i'll look

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
When do they tangle on you?  Is it the first time on the ice or is it after you wraped up and the next time out after wraping up in a hurry and not doing it right.  After every time that I use my tipups they come in the house, every inch of line is striped from the spools and allowed to dry the hooks on any that had bites are cut off and retied after inspecting the the leaders. Then the now dry line is neatley wraped up the hooks very lightley set into the string on the spool. Since I started doing it this way I no longer have a problem with the lines being tangled or frozen to itself when I set up even though they sit in the bed of my tuck at all times so I am awalys ready to go.  Before I started doing this I had all sorts of problems and tried all sorts of teniques for wraping up the ones that workde the best was a rubberband.  Antoher thing with the Polar tipups they are designed so at the end of the day when it is dark and your fingers are numb you don't need to warp the string around the spool.  You can just fold up the tipup with the string still in the hole and then wrap the string around the length of the tipip so that you are using up 2 1/2 feet of string for each wrap. Then I use a rubberband to secure it and when I get home I have no choice but to take care of the line.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
Usually anyplace that sells storage totes has them, Lowes, wallyworld, ect.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/78090.aspx?src=T10WFSHP1

hey i didn't see the link last time i looked. thanks

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey i didn't see the link last time i looked. thanks
I added it afterwards. Google is your friend ;D

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
I added it afterwards. Google is your friend ;D
:bow: :bow: :bow:thanks

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm sometimes lazy and wondered would a quart sized zip lock freezer bag with a zipper tip work at all?
As long as I kept them from the wind, they would keep the tangles limited to individual tip ups, any thoughts?
I liked the wife idea....where can I get one of those models?

The Wyoming tangler, may become my new ID

I got my model in Vt. She is great and even likes to go fishing after a night of wine and i don't hear any whining if I do go by myself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.