Author Topic: Hali jig bait?  (Read 7463 times)

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hali jig bait?
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:24 PM »
What does everyone prefer to tip theirs with a waxie/spike or a minnow head. Never tried it with a minnow head but in a year and a half of using them with waxies/spikes I don't think I've ever caught anything on them. Currently have glow perch, silver/black stripes, and solid sliver. Will try the minnow head this weekend to see how it works.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Hali jig bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:36 AM »
plastics...little atoms, nuggies, skimpies
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I use wax worms----they work good for tullibies............. .I like the extra weight to get it down to 40-50 feet

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Played around with the hali this past weekend tipped with a mousie and minnow head. Had one hit on the mousie and missed. I did notice they attract a ton of fish on my electronics just cant get a bite. Tried multiple presentations.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Hali's are my preferred jig when I'm targeting perch. I love the extra weight they have - great for pounding bottom -  and the drop chain makes for some decent action on the business end.  I run some with the single hook and some with a beaded treble, but either way I load them up with multiple waxies and/or spikes.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Hali's with wax worms. You don't need to jig it hard, just enough to get the chain hook shaking.

Offline jaxom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Hali's are a great go to of mine, I have caught just about any kind of fish on them.
Bluegill crappie perch bass and unfortunately some pike...
What size are you useing? I have found that the small sizes work the best, the big Hali's only come out for smelt fishing.

Plus get the long chains the Hali makes with the colored beads on them, you will see a big improvement on hook up rate, and as said before you don't jig them like crazy.
I like to hole hop and a Hali and a long rod, like 40-48" are your friend, pounds thru the slush and you don't have to bend over or kneel.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Played around with the hali this past weekend tipped with a mousie and minnow head. Had one hit on the mousie and missed. I did notice they attract a ton of fish on my electronics just cant get a bite. Tried multiple presentations.
sounds like bluegills

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Going to try the Hali this weekend.  Never used one, but a coworker swears by them.  He mentioned the he likes is the Perch color.  They tip them with minnow heads.  I plan on those and also waxies/spikes. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline jaxom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Long chains really work great! Don't over jig and that will really help.

The thing about hali's is you can see the negative bite as well since they bend your rod tip down with most light rods.

Good luck I hope you get a limit!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:09 PM »
I tip mine with wax worms also.  When you're jigging it do it slow and with short lifts and drops other wise you'll get the chain tangled up.  I've had good luck with the perch, glow perch, and green/black colors and caught perch, crappies, and a few blue gills with them.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I finally hooked some fish this past weekend. Fish finder was loaded up with fish figured I’d change presentation. Landed a 1.5lb bass some bluegill , perch, and crappie. Not sure if it wasn’t the right bait the other times I used it but I noticed on the fish finder it really grabs fish attention and brings them in. Currently fishing the smallest doze of the blue/gold and silver with minnow pattern on it. I will be buying the colored trebles as well this weekend I think they’ll help a lot. What color seems to do better then others. I saw there’s a lot to choose from.

Offline jaxom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I don't like the treble hooks myself but if it works for your good to go. I like the metal finishes on the hali's and use red yellow and lime beaded chains A LOT! Or if it's painted the copper with stripes works good as well.

Here is a neat trick get a demon jig that takes the treble hooks and put a long matching hali chain on and watch out! I CRUSHED the crappies one day with the black and red glow and a red black and green beaded single hook hali chain. Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone....

Good stuff. ;D

I'd like to post a pic but it's being dumb right now....OK got it to work!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Hali's are my preferred jig when I'm targeting perch. I love the extra weight they have - great for pounding bottom -  and the drop chain makes for some decent action on the business end.  I run some with the single hook and some with a beaded treble, but either way I load them up with multiple waxies and/or spikes.

How about minnows?...Not so much?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:57 PM »
How about minnows?...Not so much?

A guy I often fish with likes to run minnows, and also wigglers, on his Hali's for perch.  He RARELY uses waxies or spikes, and never plastics, when he ice fishes - pretty much my exact opposite, although I will use minnow heads on occasion.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:00 PM »
No mention of perch eyes as bait I use them all the time and keep a tub of them in my freezer year round. I put just enough sunflower oil on them to cover when storing. Hali's have taken many perch for me over the years using mealworms maggots  and esp perch eyes.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Everyone knows a shuck's jigger blows out a Hali any day.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2018, 04:20 AM »
No mention of perch eyes as bait I use them all the time and keep a tub of them in my freezer year round. I put just enough sunflower oil on them to cover when storing. Hali's have taken many perch for me over the years using mealworms maggots  and esp perch eyes.

Excellent for smelt.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2018, 04:22 AM »

I like Kastmasters and Swedish Pimples, too.

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Love to run minnow heads/salted minnows on the Hali jig.  Another great tip is to run a small jig/fly 6-8” above the Hali...rig it like a dropshot rig for some stealth if they don’t want the flash.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:33 PM »

Eyes have worked great for me as well.  Love their durability.

I'm partial to the Shuck's Minnow too. Just ordered a bunch from Scheel's at $2.62 each...just a little more than half the cost of the Hali's.  Fish great even in 30+ FOW.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:42 AM »
I've tipped everything on a hali

Plastic, spikes,waxies, minnow heads and tails.

They all work  at one time or another.

Get replacement chains. Your gonna need them.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I use hali jigs almost exclusively for perch fishing here in Wyoming.  I get a container of wax worms and catch 2-3 perch, then extract the eyes and use them for bait. A container of wax worms will last a long time when doing this.  I don't keep perch eyes from one outing to another, I guess I should, my fishing friends do this and it works well for them.

Regarding the comments on replacement chains and hooks; the hooks that come on the hali jigs are pretty thin and weak so very easily bent, etc.  I buy the replacement Northland Tackle chains and hooks, a much stronger hook on the Northlands.  The Norhtland chains come with either a number 6 or 8 hook, both work well for me.  They can be a little difficult to find where I live so I buy them up whenever I find some in a store.

Having gone back and read the thread again, I do agree the Shucks jigs work equally as well as the hali jig, and has been mentioned they cost less, sometimes half as much as hali jigs.

ClearCreek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.