Author Topic: Panoptix  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptix
« Reply #30 on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:59 AM »
How many people are running the livescope for ice fishing?  There is a couple of youtube videos showing people using them for ice but not a ton.

I think there are a ton of people using Livescope for ice fishing from what I read on the Facebook- Panoptics/Livescope/crappie sites.  After having gone through a full season of ice fishing and just now finishing up with open water using Livescope, I would say that it is even more valueable for my type of fishing through the ice than open water, if I was chasing schools of crappie in the summer rather than trolling for walleye it would probably be at least equal.  Livescope is in a completely different class of electronics than what we have been using in the past, you have to see it in use to appreciate the difference.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 02, 2019, 09:14 AM »
I totally agree! I was able to use it on the ice only a few times last winter, but it was already a quantum leap forward over my Humminbird.

I used this summer on open water and it was also awesome. The best thing I did was to create my own maps of my favorite ice fishing places. It is awesome to know individual rocks that I can target for lake trout this winter.

Fishing has simply changed for me. Fishing (and even catching fish) is simply not as fun when fishing with the Livescope. I have more fun AND I also catch more fish.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Is the LiveScope that much better than the regular Panoptix? It looks like more of a down/side imaging view compared to the more traditional sonar return which is awesome for seeing structure but what about fish and jigging? I'm wondering if it will be difficult to see a small ice jig on the Livescope, whereas I'm guessing I could turn up the sensitivity on the Panoptix to see the return stronger?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #33 on: Oct 03, 2019, 03:48 AM »
I've checked eprey and CL but am not seeing much used out there.  Anyone here have one they want to sell?  :)
Try FB Marketplace?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:05 AM »
Is the LiveScope that much better than the regular Panoptix? It looks like more of a down/side imaging view compared to the more traditional sonar return which is awesome for seeing structure but what about fish and jigging? I'm wondering if it will be difficult to see a small ice jig on the Livescope, whereas I'm guessing I could turn up the sensitivity on the Panoptix to see the return stronger?

Livescope didn't have a problem with small jigs for me. Worked just fine.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 03, 2019, 09:40 AM »
I just watched this video of people jigging (with larger jigs) for laketrout in 150 feet of water.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Just an fyi, that's with the ps30 ducer.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2019, 04:39 PM »
I used it a lot last winter in 20-24' water for walleye, crappie , and perch. It definitely worked awesome at those depths. I could even tell the specie of the fish coming in after a little time watching. During open water I used it a lot fishing for Lake Superior Whitefish anywhere from 30-70' of water. I couldn't always see my 3/8 oz. jig, but didn't really miss it too much. I was able to stay on the schools whenever they moved, and sometimes caught suspended lakers feeding on the smorgasbord too. At times if the fish were close to bottom I could see the telltale movement on the bottom and still catch fish when most others left when they couldn't see them on their finders any more. It is the biggest advancement in my adult life. I use a camera for a lot of trout and ling fishing just because we're only about 7-10' deep, but the Livescope is what I'm using for everything else.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Ok here is the blunt truth. I presently use a 9inch echomap chirp  94 sv unit. The chirp model is the one right before the echomap plus units. The plus units will run livescope. The chirp models will not.

The cheaper livescope will run on only certain units all expensive. It also has serious performance limitation as opposed to the LVS 32.

As to the livescope vs the older panoptix. You have to decide which is more important to you. The only advantage of livescope is much more defined picture. With lots of use guys can make accurate prediction of species of fish being displayed. The older Panoptix the ps21 ,ps 22 ,ps 30 and ps 31. Have an exaggerated slightly blob of fish that shows on screen. While a nine inch screen is better you could use a 7 inch effectively. The newer livescope almost has to have a 9 inch since the depictions are smaller.

I actually prefer the older system myself. I can setup the ps 22 in the down postion and three anglers can use same display. The ps 22 is the one I recommend for ice fishing. Because of its ability to read either sideways or down. I use the side to search and the down to actually fish once I find them.

It is true the panoptix is a little more cumbersome to use on the ice. But the time and the drilling it saves me more than makes up for that. In a average 1 acre or smaller pond. I can drill as little as three holes and find the best place to fish that day.  Fishing bigger lakes I find that finding the best place to fish on a point or hump. Using a map in conjunction with the ps 22. again very little drilling and wasted time. Livescope will do same thing but at a much higher cost and more battery usage.

In conclusion though I could afford to upgrade to the Livescope. I see no reason for doing so. My present system does exactly what I want it to do. Find the fish. Others may have different opinions . Simplicity- if it moves its a fish. Accuracy- can tell partner almost exactly where to drill on the side setting. How many feet and in what direction.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:27 AM »
Ok here is the blunt truth. I presently use a 9inch echomap chirp  94 sv unit. The chirp model is the one right before the echomap plus units. The plus units will run livescope. The chirp models will not.

The cheaper livescope will run on only certain units all expensive. It also has serious performance limitation as opposed to the LVS 32.

As to the livescope vs the older panoptix. You have to decide which is more important to you. The only advantage of livescope is much more defined picture. With lots of use guys can make accurate prediction of species of fish being displayed. The older Panoptix the ps21 ,ps 22 ,ps 30 and ps 31. Have an exaggerated slightly blob of fish that shows on screen. While a nine inch screen is better you could use a 7 inch effectively. The newer livescope almost has to have a 9 inch since the depictions are smaller.

I actually prefer the older system myself. I can setup the ps 22 in the down postion and three anglers can use same display. The ps 22 is the one I recommend for ice fishing. Because of its ability to read either sideways or down. I use the side to search and the down to actually fish once I find them.

It is true the panoptix is a little more cumbersome to use on the ice. But the time and the drilling it saves me more than makes up for that. In a average 1 acre or smaller pond. I can drill as little as three holes and find the best place to fish that day.  Fishing bigger lakes I find that finding the best place to fish on a point or hump. Using a map in conjunction with the ps 22. again very little drilling and wasted time. Livescope will do same thing but at a much higher cost and more battery usage.

In conclusion though I could afford to upgrade to the Livescope. I see no reason for doing so. My present system does exactly what I want it to do. Find the fish. Others may have different opinions . Simplicity- if it moves its a fish. Accuracy- can tell partner almost exactly where to drill on the side setting. How many feet and in what direction.

To each their own, but Livescope is just so much better, no question about it. In essence, yes, it does the same, but visually Livescope is worth the upgrade.....imo

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:20 PM »
To each their own, but Livescope is just so much better, no question about it. In essence, yes, it does the same, but visually Livescope is worth the upgrade.....imo

This times 100. I had the PS22 on the ice last year and while I could find structure, I couldn't identify it on the PS22 as anything other than a big blob sticking off the bottom. With Livescope I can see the tree or crib and see the fish on it. Don't get me wrong the PS22 is a great tool, but Livescope is just plain better. You can even pick fish out from the weeds with livescope. You can't do that with the PS22 :)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:37 AM »
This times 100. I had the PS22 on the ice last year and while I could find structure, I couldn't identify it on the PS22 as anything other than a big blob sticking off the bottom. With Livescope I can see the tree or crib and see the fish on it.
That is exactly the reason I kinda wished I help out for the live scope model, but My unit is a echomap chirp, so I’d have to get a whole new package anyway.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 09, 2019, 05:06 AM »

glad to hear i just picked up the live vu Ice pack and paired it with a 9 inch screen over the 7 that was offered. a few dollars more but i plan on installing it on the boat so needed the conventional transducer. i really thought hard on the extra that the livescope costs but i really didn't like the picture it shows after watching all of the video i could.   I did see one in person the other day and damm its a lot bigger and heavier that the livevu, and i thought it was big, makes my helix 5 and 7 look small. hopefully i dont regret not spending the extra cash for the scope but i think the vu will do so much more that what I'm using now

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 10, 2019, 08:01 AM »
In answering Livescope is superior I conceded that. But what if you can't afford it ? The PS 22 and the older model echomaps can be found to put a rig together for @ 800-900 if you buy used. The live scope alone runs 1499. BIG difference. Add any unit that is compatible and you are well over 2K. Course you can buy used there too. But the discount won't be much and much harder to find.

I catch all the fish I need ( never all I want ;-) ) with my present system. So no sense to me to upgrade to Livescope.

Panoptix in general anyone that has fished me with once or more. Fall into two classes first class now owns their own panoptix. Second class they want but can't afford to just yet. That is on the boat or on the ice.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.