The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tiber  (Read 5953 times)

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
Tiber
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Anyone hit tiber this weekend? if so how much ice? and is there lots of snow? 

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tiber
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Went out saturday, I was recently stationed at Malmstrom so fishing here is new to me, but I'm no stranger to ice fishing.

I took bootlegger trail down to the boat ramp south of Galata, on the north shore.  I found 4 inches off the point to the west of the boat ramp, in the bay off the boat ramp there was regularly 7-8 inches.  I marked fish a couple hundred yards off shore and set up, I fished until dark and landed one pike, marked a couple schools, not sure what but I'd guess perch.  The water was cloudy and I could only see my bait about 5 feet underneath the ice. 

I wandered around trying to mark fish in the area but cold temps kept me running back to my shack and I really didn't find any action worth moving for.

I'll probably go back but fish a different area this Wednesday, maybe closer to the dam, I know very little but am willing to explore, I love ice fishing, sooner or later I'll find em' one way or another.

As far as snow, there was very little, the roads where open and only a thin layer covered the ice, just enough so traction wasn't an issue.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:02 PM »
How deep were ya fish'n? What kinda jigs and bait?
Live Free Or Die.

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:19 PM »
bootleager bay is a tuff 1 to fish  not alote of weed beds  i usualy fish millers slew on the north side

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:57 PM »
How deep were ya fish'n? What kinda jigs and bait?

I fished in 20 feet of water with a 1/4 oz northland buck-shot rattle spoon tipped with a minnow, also had a 1/8th oz red forage minnow tipped with minnow also.

What road will get me to millers slew and what kind of depths should I be looking for?

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:51 AM »
north side of the lake  on the road to the merina  theres a farm house take a right

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:57 AM »
fish on the north side of the island  its a big bowl depending on the lake pool for depth havent been there yet ysualy not more than 15 feet

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into BACON GREASE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:02 PM »
SpearFishen, Have you ever caught any ling in Millers Slough? Is there any deep water nearby? And can you drive down to it or do you need 4 wheelers?
I will probably head up somewhere in Tiber over christmas break. I will report. Thankyou

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:52 PM »
no i never have  i have caught them on the north east end of the bootleger bay

Offline spearfishen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:56 PM »
just northerns & walleyes in millers slough to shalow for ling     yes u can drivr to it i'm sure 1 of the locals have there ice housed there you'l be able to see them from the top 

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. hopefully i can get up there soon.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2008, 09:49 AM »
apprieciate the info, have to work today, should get some time off later this week, going to give it a try.

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2008, 03:49 PM »
thank for the info ;D ;D

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Probably headed up there this fri, sat, sun. will report

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Total body count between 2 of us: 15 walleye
                  2 perch
Biggest walleye was 2 and 1/2 lbs. Average size was about one pound.
THe road to Miller's was drifted in and we didn't have 4 wheelers. So We fished the bay at Island Recreation Area the first day/night and didnt catch anthing except the perch. some people next to us caught a few walleye but it was very slow. We relocated on saturday and that proved to be a good move. We caught most on small minnows under tip-ups, but I jigged up 4 using a buckshot w/ minnow and lost a couple. We fished the spot from noon until dark.

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Hit tiber 26 to the 29 went to willow creek pretty slow 1 pike 4lbs and some perch no eyes ice was 15 inches talked with other people there. They said it was slow for them to.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Hit island recreation area yesterday.  Got 6 perch and a pike of a couple pounds, perch were all toss backs but one who got tossed anyways.  I talked to a couple others who all had reports of nadda. 

Lots of ice, if I had chains I'd consider driving on it reaal soon.

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I was up ther the 4th on the willow creek arm couldnt even get close to the ice without a wheeler.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Went on the 4th by the VFW campground, I  must have been in the wrong spot.  Seen a few small perch trying to take my minnow.  Also had a good sized rainbow up to the hole and then I lost it.  Where are the walleye at? 

Offline johnhallusmc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:44 AM »
Me and a few friends/coworkers are going to be in the Shelby area around the 18th of Jan. I've fished through the ice a couple of times, but that was here in Ohio. I guess what I am asking is: What is the minimum equipment needed to make it a good day or two on Tiber?
             What is the perfered bait for Eyes and Pike?
             Is a shelter a must have? Can I rent one somewhere?
             Where is the best place to access the lake without a 4 wheeler or sled?
Thanks for any info,
John

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »
I have been out every day since the 24th fishing at Miller's Bottom. Consistant 12+ inches of ice and the best day of fishing was Christmas day, so far. The last 2 days were very slow but action was picking up a bit last night around 6pm. Biggest walleye would be in the 2-3 lbs. area and biggest northern at around 12 lbs. A few large perch here and there and a few, not sure what they were, that gave a real nice tug and either spit the hook or snapped line. On my way out again and will be out every day this week, more info later.
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:36 PM »
shelberian where can somebody get minnows? last winter it was darn near impossible to find minnows other than Robert's bait in GF.

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Muskyhunter, I got mine last Tuesday at Scheels in GF. A friend was there yesterday and said that the tanks were full when he got his. My advice is to get there fast!!!! LOL

Another terribly slow day fishing today at Tiber. Another dwarf walleye on from last night when I chipped out the set and only one other one for me all day. A friend did catch a monster of a Perch that was 13 inches long and we guess it to be just over a pound. Someone in a group from Fairfield caught a 12 lb. Walleye out there either last night or this morning so that gives me hope. Once again I will be back at it tomorrow, they have to eat sometime and by my calculations they haven't eaten in 4 days!!!
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Yesterday was a beautiful day for ice fishing weather! Warm and Sunny with no wind. Fishing was slow again but eventually limited on Walleye, all small though at 1- 1 1/2 lbs. The perch are still bait thieves but occasionally get hooked and are good sized.
Going out again today, with a slight weather change moving in hopefully this will trigger a feeding frenzy! This will be 7 days in a row and it still doesn't seem like they have eaten much in those 7 days.

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Thanks Gamedog, unfortunately I will probably not have very many, if any, more reports this season. I pulled my set yesterday and will probably not have a lot of time in the next month or two to go out due to WORK. However, if I do go out I will post some updated info.
Yesterday again was sssssslow! 4 small perch for me and my friend caught 3 small perch and a 2 lb. walleye. I had hopes that the incoming weather change would trigger some action but it sure didn't happen yesterday.
Six days straight on the ice, even as nice as it was, has taken its toll on my body, all my joints ache, my hands and wrists are sore from chipping holes every morning with a monstrous chipping bar (which I hope to have a lighter one before I go out again). The worst of my ice fishing ailments is the cracking of the skin on several of my fingers, definitely not pleasant.
All that said, I wouldn't trade the last 6 days for anything. I do have some fish in the freezer and I got to spend some great time outdoors and not think about work at all, not to mention spend time with good friends and reflect on the events of the last year and our hopes for the upcoming new year. The wife still just shakes her head at me and wonders why anyone would want to subject themselves to the elements just to catch a few fish. On the other hand, her eyes light up when I tell her I brought her home some walleye.
Hope someone is having some better luck somewhere through the ice and  I wish everyone a Safe and Happy New Year!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions as where to go spearing on Tiber?  Probably be up there tomorrow morning.

Offline kingman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions as where to go spearing on Tiber?  Probably be up there tomorrow morning.
Went to Miller's bottom on New Years Day. Fished from 9 am to 5 pm. No walleye and jigged up one perch. 18 inches of ice.

Offline bndhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:09 PM »
Has anyone been on Tiber since it warmed up? Just curious how the ice is holding up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.