Author Topic: Walleyes on a tipup?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline totto

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleyes on a tipup?
« on: Jan 02, 2003, 12:53 PM »

Does anyone have any comments about setting up a tipup for walleyes and pike?  I normally jig for eyes and set my tipups up with a leader, a larger treble hook and a shiner.  I know pike will general hit more aggressively so the treble doesn’t become an issue.  I understand a walleye will be less aggressive and not hit the treble because it will feel too much metal.  Is the leader overkill on 45lb line?  Would a single hook be better or will I start to loose my pikes?  Should I setup for one and not the other, maybe I’m too greedy.  Thanks, David

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
Re: Walleyes on a tipup?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Totto, I've not done much if any Walleye fishing {got a buddy thats looking for a spot on the CT river} but, have read that a "partridge hook" is a good hook for Walleyes. It is a modifide J hook that has a slightly smaller J hook brazed to the back of the larger. From my understanding of it, you hook the smaller hook into the minnow, which leaves all of the larger exposed. You are supposed to be able to set the hook on the strike. I'm sure someone here may be more familiar with ths set-up.
Good luck

oldbengal

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2003, 06:38 PM »
In Wisconsin, many of us use CIRCLE HOOKS for walleye on tipups.  These hooks are designed to NOT gut-hook a fish.  Instead, they hook the fish in the corner of the mouth the vast majority of the time.  The trick is to NOT SET THE HOOK.  When the fish runs with the bait, just gradually tighten your grip on the line and steadily pull the fish back toward the hole.  The hook will catch in the corner of the mouth as it passes through the walleye's mouth.  It only doesn't seem to work too well when the fish is kinda lookin at ya!  Works best when the fish is swimming AWAY.  For what it's worth - - I like using these hooks so that I don't kill smaller fish.  'oldbengal'

Blane Hillman

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2003, 02:48 AM »
I have caught walleyes on Saginaw Bay using tip-ups, and we simply rig the shiner with a smaller treble hook, it seems to work just fine

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2003, 01:54 PM »
i like to fish for walleye on tip ups... i hav had best luck with those ones that jig the bait for ya when the wind blows nice little set up

Ridgrunner

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2003, 04:54 PM »
We fish mostly tip-ups on the Kinzua using a 4ft. leader of 6 lb. with a true turn short shank. It doesn't impede the movement of the minnow and they last longer. putng the sinker about 2ft up from the hook gives it more mobility on the botom. Hope that helps.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:05 PM »

Does anyone have any comments about setting up a tipup for walleyes and pike?  I normally jig for eyes and set my tipups up with a leader, a larger treble hook and a shiner.  I know pike will general hit more aggressively so the treble doesn’t become an issue.  I understand a walleye will be less aggressive and not hit the treble because it will feel too much metal.  Is the leader overkill on 45lb line?  Would a single hook be better or will I start to loose my pikes?  Should I setup for one and not the other, maybe I’m too greedy.  Thanks, David

FISH FOR EACH TYPE of fish DIFFERENT,THE BEST WAY FOR THAT FISH type,
trying to catch several types of fish on on rig CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS.
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline tommytipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2005, 02:21 PM »
same here with the circle hooks, Ive been using them the last two or three yrs. most fish are hooked right in the corner of mouth.  Havent had much luck with circles on perch/crappie tho

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2005, 02:40 AM »
45 lb test is most definetely overkill for walleyes who can be very line shy. I use a very thin Titanium leader where I fish because there is many huge Northerns, Lakers and Ling as well as the Walleye. If I was just targeting Walleyes, I would go with a 6 or 8 lb test flouro mono leader.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2005, 03:46 PM »
I second what Ice troll said use smaller trebles like 14's or 12's but on big fish water 10 lb shouldn't really be an issue. :tipup:
myspace.com/tat2byjt

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:39 PM »
I got this beautie on 8lb test, #12 treble and middle shinner.

@ 9am, shocking. Just got lucky with this one.  ;D
I normally use 8lb test mono, #6 trebles with middle shinners and small suckers, then I target eyes at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.