Author Topic: 10" KDrill  (Read 4799 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
10" KDrill
« on: Jun 20, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I've heard a few rumblings about this for next season.  Can anyone confirm?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: 10" KDrill
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2018, 11:06 AM »
If this is true, it won't be with a MKE drill, that I know. I have a friend who's an engineer at MKE Electric Tool who's told me they had way too many failures testing larger diameters augers with K Drill. Part of the reason the current 8" isn't a true 8" was due to this. I asked if they tried a 9" and the answer was, "Fail".

I've talked to guys running KD8s with Jiffy 2hp power heads and they say it's a dream, so maybe a 10 is possible, but not for electric drill motors?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I'll bet the Mud Mixer would turn a 10".  I keep hoping Milwaukee will redesign the Mud Mixer with the loop style handles that we prefer on our augers.  It wouldn't affect the guys using the tool for what it was intended for, but would sure make it a lot more ergonomic and safer for the peeps using them as ice auger powerheads.  One can hope right...?  Man, would that thing be the cat's a** if they did it.  lol

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:33 PM »
If this is true, it won't be with a MKE drill, that I know. I have a friend who's an engineer at MKE Electric Tool who's told me they had way too many failures testing larger diameters augers with K Drill. Part of the reason the current 8" isn't a true 8" was due to this. I asked if they tried a 9" and the answer was, "Fail".

I've talked to guys running KD8s with Jiffy 2hp power heads and they say it's a dream, so maybe a 10 is possible, but not for electric drill motors?

How? Jiffy spins the wrong way.
See you on the ice!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:43 PM »
What failed?  The auger or the drill? 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Yep Jiffy turns counter Clock wise.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2018, 05:50 PM »
How? Jiffy spins the wrong way.

If I rember right not all of them spun wrong direction a very slight few spun clock wise just a heads up I think I got blades for a 10 inch that did.. would have to look brand new still in package..

https://i.imgur.com/3kWtYMF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FUfxSKQ.jpg

These cut clock wise but shavers on a powe drill not likely maybe by hand with a offset handLe but probllay not too likely..

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I'll bet the Mud Mixer would turn a 10".  I keep hoping Milwaukee will redesign the Mud Mixer with the loop style handles that we prefer on our augers.  It wouldn't affect the guys using the tool for what it was intended for, but would sure make it a lot more ergonomic and safer for the peeps using them as ice auger powerheads.  One can hope right...?  Man, would that thing be the cat's a** if they did it.  lol"

I have a MudMixer 2AH, 4AH & 8AH battery. Works well with 6" bit to 20" MN ice. 8" ok to 15" ice but struggles beyound 15". 10" dies at about 6" ice. With 8" bit my 4Ah battery failed at 20" ice (ice at 32"). 1 set of the 5 battery cells dropped 1.1 V below the other 4 sets. After charging the one cell set only reached 3.4v with the other 4 sets reaching the 4.3v standard charge value. Charged 3 of 4 lights.

I use the 8" bit only on my 43cc Eskimo. The bit blade is modified to imulate the k-drill. Goes through 32" ice in 28 seconds. Cuts 1/4 + inch of ice per rev. Buddies 40v ion took 2 min, 8 sec with 8" bit to get threw 32" same ice same day.

8AH diy battery on Mud Mixer

8" bit blade modified

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2018, 10:02 AM »
I've got a Mud Mixer/8" K Drill combo with a pair of 5 Ah batteries. This past season I got 25ish holes through 22" of ice on one battery. I didn't think that was too bad. I'm shopping for a 9 Ah this year. I was half thinking of modding a connection for a 10" Lazer drill I've still got. We'll see though I may blow it out with the powerhead in the fall.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2018, 12:32 PM »
The Milwaukee 12ah batteries will be available middle of July I think I saw on Acme Tool’s website.  I’m turning an 8” Nils with mine and only got to try drilling through 10” of ice, but it went through like it was butter.  I would be surprised if it wouldn’t do fairly well with the 10” Nils, but even if 10” was legal here in PA, I don’t think I’d want to spring for the 10” Nils just to test my theory.  :roflmao:
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2018, 12:46 PM »

If I rember right not all of them spun wrong direction a very slight few spun clock wise just a heads up I think I got blades for a 10 inch that did.. would have to look brand new still in package..

https://i.imgur.com/3kWtYMF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FUfxSKQ.jpg

These cut clock wise but shavers on a powe drill not likely maybe by hand with a offset handLe but probllay not too likely..

Exactly, my original Jiffy spun clockwise, I got caught with wrong blades about 5 years after owning mine.

From what I understand the motors overheated....as far as the 10" went.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I'll bet the Mud Mixer would turn a 10".  I keep hoping Milwaukee will redesign the Mud Mixer with the loop style handles that we prefer on our augers.  It wouldn't affect the guys using the tool for what it was intended for, but would sure make it a lot more ergonomic and safer for the peeps using them as ice auger powerheads.  One can hope right...?  Man, would that thing be the cat's a** if they did it.  lol

DN

Or just make a motor specifically for augers? One that could handle dirt as well.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Or just make a motor specifically for augers? One that could handle dirt as well.

Now you're talkin'! Cordless auger for surf or turf... C'mon Milwaukee, there's a market. We're already abusing your products 'cause that's all there is.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2018, 11:32 PM »
I've heard a few rumblings about this for next season.  Can anyone confirm?

I emailed kdrill....they said no plans to do it....that way early mid ice season.

With the electric drills....a 10 can work. However it needs to be a shaver blade with a slight cut. I've got an old 10in mora my 1200 Milwaukee turns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.