New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Skunked  (Read 1195 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Skunked
« on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Made it out today for the first time in a few days ...could not find the fish anywhere after drilling several holes ..... Seems as they all just disappeared which is very odd for this time of year .... Been below zero here the last several mornings also had a north wind today .... Just got my jigs from energized outdoors so I guess I need to try again soon  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

fordman

Re: Skunked
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Odd is Right cold front suck

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:06 PM »
This time of year the perch bit should be on fire in most lakes.   They got to be there, bet you find them next time out.   Still on the ice where if fish and perch are hitting most anything.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:08 AM »

You’ll get them next time

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:17 AM »
Bummer. When it happens to me I always tell my wife "that's why it's called fishing, not catching". Must be the weather has them out of their pattern. I have always wondered how wind direction can even effect fish... especially when they are still under ice and it isn't getting the surface moving. Thoughts anyone? Like f&r said, you'll find them!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:40 AM »
my experiences with fishing anytime of the year cold fronts come in and everything is a slow bite. doesnt matter what species im targeting

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Thought I was going to get a skunk yesterday.  Fished first light to 3pm before landing a couple lakers.  Had chasers and dropped a few all day.  Meanwhile my buddy lands 13.  I blame this on the cold front.  Not his ability to catch better than me!   ;D

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:19 AM »
glad you were able to land a couple .... I'm going to a try a different spot and hope for a different outcome ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Good luck!  :tipup:

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I got skunked yesterday on lake Pleasant. Just a handful of small perch, nothing to bring home. I was blaming it on the cold front until I ran into a couple other guys who had done ok. Maybe I was in the wrong place which included about half the lake as I moved around a lot. Maybe I just stink at fishing?  That is why we call fishing right?

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Bummer. When it happens to me I always tell my wife "that's why it's called fishing, not catching". Must be the weather has them out of their pattern. I have always wondered how wind direction can even effect fish... especially when they are still under ice and it isn't getting the surface moving. Thoughts anyone? Like f&r said, you'll find them!

My thoughts. The wind direction is determined by the barometric pressure high/low cells and how close they are to each other and where you are and barometric pressure does effect the fish. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Maybe I just stink at fishing?

We all think that when we have a particularly bad day.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.