Author Topic: Best 2-3 man flip-over shelter  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best 2-3 man flip-over shelter
« on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Now that I own a Snowdog and don't need to haul my sled by force of foot, I am looking for a larger shelter.

I am considering a Clam x200 or X300 or an Otter XT Pro Lodge or Resort.

Any opinions of which would be best?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best 2-3 man pop-up shelter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Clam Refuge

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Why? What features make it better?

I am looking more for a sled version. I have a Clam Spearfisher Stealth and want a larger sled shelter.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Those are not Pop up shelters they are flip over shelters. When you asked for a Pop up the Clam Refuge is just that.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best 2-3 man flip-over shelter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Gunflint, You must be my brother from another mother.

I had a Clam 2 man guide flip over and after I loaded all my gear in it I could only pull it on bare ice. At 66 my get up and go got up and went.

I bought a Snowdog to be my mule because I didn't care to get another ATV or snowmobile and just need a tow motor. I love my creature comforts out ice fishing and once I saw how great the snowdog was I went and bought a much bigger 3 man Otter XT PRO RESORT with all the accessories. WOW is this thing huge and very well made. I just use two of the three seats in it but there is plenty of room out in front of the sled seats for 2 guys to sit in bag chairs.
It is a little hard opening the flip with one man but can be done, just too wide at 85 inches so you have to do each side pull and click back and forth. With 2 guys it is simple. With the dual frame braces locking it all together it is fabulously strong and stable in high winds. The insulated fabric is also a major plus and I hardly need my buddy Jr heater except on real bitter and windy days. The Snowdog pulls it like a dream with the Hyfax runners and the rigid tow bar.
It was a bit pricey with all the extras but it is built to last and very well designed.

Gam

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Gam,

Gunflint, You must be my brother from another mother.
That is exactly how I feel.

You articulated the issues perfectly- that is exactly where I am going for the same reasons. I don't intend to use the third seat either, I just want it comfortable for two. However, I usually fish alone and intend this as my main hut unless I head to the BWCA (no motors, Snowdogs or even electric augers allowed) and then I will pull my single Clam Stealth Blazer by hand (with the Nils auger). I also have the Clam 6 person Spearfisher hub if the group is more than 2 or we drive on with my pickup on a distant lake and I don't use the Snowdog. We are camping in it this weekend chasing whitefish on the MN/Canada border.

In some sense, money is no object - with all that I have already spent, a few hundred dollars difference between a Clam and Otter is in the noise. My main concern is choosing between the Otter Pro Resort and the Clam X300. This is the kind of hut I want behind my Snowdog on an everyday basis, spending the most time on the ice.

From what I understand here are the details:

PROS: OTTER
1. Best/strongest sled itself according to public opinion
2. Great square tubing that everybody seems to think is better
3. Great fabric (1200 denier)
4. Unknowns to me - do the seats slide move or only swivel?
5. One con for the Otter is that the fishing area is slightly smaller than the Clam (-5 sq ft)

PROS: CLAM
1. New design this year
2. Side entry doors - I like this one. May be the deal-maker.
3. Supposedly upgraded tubing (although I don't hear anybody raving about it). This seems to be a real issue of difference.
4. Seats both slide and swivel
5. Heavier fabric (1800 denier)
6. Larger fishing area (+ 5 sq ft)
7. Possible con is a weaker sled

I have inconsistent info on the exact weight, but now with the Snowdog it doesn't really matter (plus I will remove some weight when I remove third seat). I want to be comfortable with all my stuff and be able to take a friend along when I choose. Setting it up and taking it down alone in the wind is nice. I assume there must be differences/advantages in the tubing systems, but details are hard to come by. The extra fishing space is handy using my Aqua-Vu camera as I can place it inside and further from the fishing holes/lines to prevent tangles.

What do you think? Am I missing something?

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I'm in the same boat so-to-speak.  I have an old Voyager that's on it's last legs and am used to the storage and space a big 3 man gives.  I like the extra 5 sqr ft the Clam offers, it's nice being able to spread out holes and electronics and a heater in the shack, I'm just not sure it's worth another 300.00 over the Otter.

I pull my shack 3-7 miles from my house to the lake I fish with my ATV, so the sled and runners are huge and thus Otter gets the nod. 

Then there's the 40 lb weight difference (186 for the Clam, 145 for the Otter). How hard is the Clam going to be to maneuver when it's loaded or when you go to store it?

Since I don't own a thermal currently, the differences between 1200 and 1800 denier is a bit of a mystery and because I spend a lot of time out of my shack, I don't know if I need it.

I guess if I can find the best possible deal on either or I'd have to make a choice.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2018, 10:58 AM »
There is also a problem with comparing apples to apples.

The Clam comes with the Runner Kit included that adds a bit of weight. The Otter doesn't and is lighter and less expensive until they are added to the package. The Clam also comes with the cover and the Otter doesn't. The light bar and battery bracket are also a part of the clam package, but this probably does not add much weight. The storage somewhat depends upon which hitch configuration you get and both sleds have a couple options.

As far as price, once you add the cover and runner kit (approx $120), the price difference shrinks to $180. The light kit from Otter ($50) would make the difference only $130 assuming you were going to get it anyways. The $130 for 30% heavier fabric seems a bargain. The heavier fabric has to be some significant part of the weight difference.

What remains un-quantified for me is the value of the square tubing and the ease of set-up between the tubing designs.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:39 PM »
If the Clam comes with the Hyfax installed, that's pretty much a no brainer if you add in a cover as well.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Since I have never seen the Clam X300 I can't give much of a comparison against my Otter XT PRO RESORT. The video on the Clam site is pretty lame and does not show much detail or the sled itself.

From what I can see I can tell you both the Clam and Otter will be a bit of work to set up and knock down if by yourself. Our arms don't reach 84 inches across so it will be drop or extend one side then the other for each frame bow. My Otter is a breeze with 2 guys. I also don't see any additional brace poles in the clam and the Otter has 2 braces on the rear and two braces between each of the frame bows and in the front. I suspect with no braces in an 84 inch span a good wind will have it flapping pretty good and lots of stress on the frame bows.

My seats swivel and since I use just 2 of them I can slide them closer together or further apart but the do not slide front to back. My seats are very comfortable and easy to remove or install. The difference between 35 square feet of fishing space and 40 is a just few inches on both sides and I doubt you would even notice it. I think the "Dinnier" has nothing to do with how thick or well insulated it is and more to do with how close the threads are woven per square inch. Not sure of that but the Otter is pretty heavy fabric and very highly insulated so I see no real benefit between one or the other. The square tubes are definitely very stout and strong and when you add the braces it is built like a brick outhouse. The sled itself is very thick and very strong but I have no idea about the quality of the Clam sled.

I bought the cover, hyfax runner kit and the flip over rigid hitch gadget. I bought it at Reeds and it had to be shipped freight to my door. It arrived at around 2 PM and by 7 that evening it was all put together and ready to fish in the morning. Here where I live there are no local stores that even sell any shanties so I went with what I read here and at the Michigan Sportsman ice fishing forum. When I called Reed's and talked with the salesman in the fishing department I asked for a simple answer, Between the Clam and the Otter which one would he go with? He said Otter all the way with no doubt, it is the Cadillac and he had fished in both.

My best advice is if you live where you can drive and go see both set up make your decision from a hands and eyes on inspection. Just keep one important thing in mind. At 7 feet across with a stiff wind that is a lot of pressure on a tent and if there is no additional braces in the Clam it could be an issue.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2018, 03:57 PM »
The video on the Clam site is pretty lame and does not show much detail or the sled itself.

I agree. I should be able to see them both in person somewhere and then decide.

I am fairly certain that either one would be fine for me, but I would love the side doors to get in and out without tripping on cables, lines, heaters and stuff.

I am certain that if I picked up one of those Garmin Panoptix units, I could put that in the middle and it would work well for both fishermen.

Thanks for the feedback.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2018, 04:40 PM »
I agree. I should be able to see them both in person somewhere and then decide.

I am fairly certain that either one would be fine for me, but I would love the side doors to get in and out without tripping on cables, lines, heaters and stuff.

I am certain that if I picked up one of those Garmin Panoptix units, I could put that in the middle and it would work well for both fishermen.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did not have the luxury of pre inspection but if you do I would highly recommend that for the final decision. Better yet if you see a few out on the ice don't be afraid to know on their doors and check them out in their natural environment plus get some face to face reviews. On these forums it is pretty common to get reviews that are extremely positive from guys who actually have the model you might want but a lot of times we all tend to think the one we bought is the best. It is highly doubtful I will ever see a Clam X300 down here and just as unlikely I will ever see anyone with the Otter I have and I doubt I will see many Snowdogs simply because we get a very short season and most guys that ice fish have ATVs rather than snowmobiles here.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Hands down the otter, best there is

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:52 AM »
"I bought it at Reeds and it had to be shipped freight to my door"

How much was the shipping surcharge?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:36 AM »
"I bought it at Reeds and it had to be shipped freight to my door"

How much was the shipping surcharge?

Don't quote me on this because the freight charge was included in the total package I bought and it is not itemized on the bill of sale. I do believe they quoted $149 for the shipping but discounted it to $125 when I added the travel cover, hitch and hyfax kits. It came on a pallet and was delivered by FedX but in a larger box truck with power lift gate. Think it came to around $1250 for the works. I did just check the Reed's site and the XT PRO RESORT is out of stock now. I will say that Reed's was the cheapest I could find back in November and a pleasure to deal with them. Over the years I have rigged a number of boats for salmon fishing with electric downriggers, electronics and all sorts of fishing gear all from Reed's and had great customer service.

The nearest place I could have bought it from to me was way up in Buffalo, NY and every bit of an 8-10 hour drive from here and their price was higher even without the freight charge.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Hands down the otter, best there is

I hear this often. People love their Otters.

What are the specific features you think are superior?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:27 AM »

found this video of a couple guys sharing one unit and doing well with it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I think we should start a Garmin Panoptix thread. The video describes what I was hoping it would do.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:37 AM »
there's a few now. some here in general and more here
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:40 AM »
That appears to be an Otter XT Pro resort but with just one of the front brace poles in place. Videos here take forever to load and play over satellite connections.

Correction! Not the XT Pro resort but a smaller 2 man model very similar.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Good, it seemed a bit small.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Good, it seemed a bit small.

YUP! That is either the XT PRO Cabin or the XT PRO Lodge, both are 2 man and both have just a single brace pole in the rear. The XT PTO Resort, here,
https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/otter-xt-pro-resort/
Has two brace poles in the rear as well as 2 brace poles between each of the frame bows. On a nice day you don't need any of the braces and if you want to just use it as a wind brake with the front flipped up you just leave the forward brace poles off and in the bottom of the sled. That way you can keep the front door zippered and flip it up to enter and exit. You can also enter and exit through the rear door with just 2 of the seats installed but I only use the rear door for storing gear once I get it set up. My main fishing buddy is my Brittany and I have a bed for her mounted on a piece of 2 inch thick styrofoam insulation that goes in the bottom of the sled between the 2 seats. She loves it but spends most of the day out side sniffing and snooping except when there is bare ice and she has no grip, no creepers for her so she just hangs inside.

Gam

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Regarding Otter, I went from an older Frabil Trekker DLX to an Otter XT Pro Cabin and was very satisfied with the quality of the Otter. It is also very warm on the colder days even with wind. I fishing this past weekend out of some insulated Clam flip overs that worked very well but the difference in the sled was huge, Otter sled hands down

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:55 PM »
I have the Frabill predator non insulated big deep sled I’m 6’1 and can stand up in it has 2 seats and you can put a chair on the side if you wanted too

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2018, 04:35 PM »
All,

I just went to the Thorne Bros. ice fishing event this weekend.  They had both the Otter (and reps) and Clam (and reps) so I could see both flavors.

Ultimately, I went with the Clam (and they had a 20% discount at the event that was very motivating).

My Snowdog will have to work a bit harder this season, but I certainly feel that I am going "luxury" with padded seats instead of a bucket.

I appreciate all the input.  It was helpful.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:07 PM »
cool! glad you made your choice. choosing seems to be the hardest part.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07:32 PM »
All,

I just went to the Thorne Bros. ice fishing event this weekend.  They had both the Otter (and reps) and Clam (and reps) so I could see both flavors.

Ultimately, I went with the Clam (and they had a 20% discount at the event that was very motivating).

My Snowdog will have to work a bit harder this season, but I certainly feel that I am going "luxury" with padded seats instead of a bucket.

I appreciate all the input.  It was helpful.

The one you like is the one you should buy. Side by side is the best way to decide. If the Clam has the slider treads on the bottom then your Snowdog won't be working hard at all. My Snowdog easily pulls my 3 man Otter and my 2 man clam plus 2 other very full sleds and as long as it gets some traction there is no pain or strain.

Gam

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I’ve had an otter xt650 lodge for three years and have no complaints other than the weight. I am in central Iowa where the ice can be quite variable and a lot of the time I fish on smaller water where you only have to pull a sled a few hundred yards. You really need something to pull this sled! The new sidestep ones look awesome! I like clam but when it comes to a flip over otter wins!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.