The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: dip netting bomo  (Read 2205 times)

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
dip netting bomo
« on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:02 AM »
i grew up in poultney and dip netted smelt in pencil mill brook around the last saturday in april. does this still happen any more ?
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: dip netting bomo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Dip netting smelt has been illegal for quite sometime in Vermont.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Yes.
Thats why the smelt population has plummeted. State wont do a thing about it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Illegal go to nys to do it
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Did it in a river off Lake George many years ago. I thought it was illegal now but I guess not. It was pretty easy to fill a gallon bucket which was the limit as I remember.   We went to a spot in the river with a small wire basket taped to a pole and scooped them up as they ran the river. Prime spots were around boulders and bends in the brook.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Did it in a river off Lake George many years ago. I thought it was illegal now but I guess not. It was pretty easy to fill a gallon bucket which was the limit as I remember.   We went to a spot in the river with a small wire basket taped to a pole and scooped them up as they ran the river. Prime spots were around boulders and bends in the brook.

From what I remember smelt fishing whether hook and line or dipping was ILLEGAL. At least from when I fished it in the 1990's until last year when they opened it up to hook and line only and 25 fish daily limit.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:32 PM »
The many years ago equates to the 1980's time frame. It was legal to net them in NY at that time but we were limited to a gallon of smelt. Drove down  late afternoon and scoped out a spot and when it got dark started to net. Some locals showed us how to do it. We finished and got back home to Vermont split them up and fried a bunch up around midnight. They were the best smelt I ever ate.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:16 PM »
It IS illegal
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:47 PM »
People really do get off saying things are illegal...it's like they think the statement makes them better or something...weird.
 ::)

I enjoyed the story Islander...sounds like the good old days before people felt the need to be right all the time.  ;)

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Come to Tupper Lake and dip where this both river dumps into the lake.  Our lake is extremely over populated and you would be helping the cause!
I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline adkiceman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Bog... not both
I’m feeling alright, I’m feeling ooooookay! - moe.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2018, 04:38 AM »
I remember dipping for smelt  back in the 70's near Rockwood ,Me. Some were saved for bait for the summer but most were eaten ! Good fun and good eats.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I wish we could do it again but I think it would lead to fight over spots more likely

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I wish we could do it again but I think it would lead to fight over spots more likely

This is part of the reason it was banned in the first place.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I did it once (when it was legal) and it was a blast but the 2 hour drive at the end of the day to get there then return around midnight made it hard. I remember fishing spring open water browns in Lake Ontario in the late 70's and early 80's at the Little Salmon River in Mexico NY. Visiting the access in the pre dawn there would be plenty of dip netters set up where the river meets the lake. I remember one group that filled a 32 gallon trash barrel in one night. I think somewhere between this time and when I tried it on Lake George there were limits placed which was the gallon of smelt. In addition, there were size requirements for the actual net. I think we got our basket at a bait shop somewhere in the Lake George area. The locals were great about showing us how to do it and there were spots that people guarded by going early but for the most part it was a good time with lots of lanterns going and some beer being shared. I used to fish often for smelt on Champlain with hook and line but those Lake George smelt were rough skinned probably a result of the spawning cycle and very tasty. I can assure everyone that it was legal during those times. I did some research and it became illegal to catch or possess rainbow smelt on Lake George or it's tributaries in 1986.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I caught my biggest brown fishing lake clear in in nys in the spring fishing on a sandbar that fed a small brook where the smelt were going in to spawn it was around 4 1/2 pounds I love when the smelt spawn because the big trout aren’t far behind

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Big fish aren't the only ones who like to eat them.  ;D

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2018, 12:39 PM »
thanks for the stories, it was a great time doing it in the early 60s in vermont....then calling all the neighbors over in the middle of the night to eat them, everyone sitting around my mothers table in jammies eating.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:06 PM »
I grew up on the coast of Maine, and I believe you can still dip net ocean-run fish there. Used to do it with my dad on little brooks in the middle of the night at high tide. There's also shanties you can rent that set you up to catch them through the ice on the rivers. Hence this documentary:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I have heard about the estuary rivers in Maine that freeze and the smelt camps that rise up. In the old days when I was a kid here in Vermont there would be a hundred shanties out at Thompson Point. I don't think the fishing is that good down there anymore. It has been a long time since I fished for smelt. I got totally hooked on fishing flatfish through the ice in 1991.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2018, 06:01 PM »
my favorite ice fishing episode.

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2018, 07:13 PM »
The last time I smelted Maine with dip nets u only had until midnight then it closed it was getting fished out pretty hard and only could keep 2 quarts of smelt u would be shoulder to shoulder with people but it was a blast just a big party

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Nice!!! Gotta love temp tales. “Smoke a jbone drink whatevah, hell we might even catch a fish”
hahah

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I’d never seen temp tales before but after watching the smelt episode I had to watch the rest of them. Good stuff!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.