The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mako 43cc Bogs Under load Since using Aspen fuel or coincidence  (Read 1870 times)

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
I'll start by saying I had a challenging day on the ice today with my Eskimo Mako 43cc. Last year I was using regular fuel mixed with HUSQVARNA 2 stroke oil. My auger ran pretty good. It would usually start on the 2nd or 3rd pull when cold and then after that on the first pull. Once in a while I would notice a blue oily liquid coming out of the exhaust and dripping on to the auger. One day I needed to mix up more fuel and realized I had mixed it incorrectly from the start. The bottle of oil was for 2.5 gallons of gas. I'd run my auger from new for a year and a bit on an incorrect mix. I had mixed the oil in 2 gallons of gas . I mixed a new batch of fuel to the proper 50:1 and the auger ran great. Started on first or second pull. Lots of power when drilling.

A few weeks ago a buddy of mine was at the Lawnmower hospital getting his Eskimo auger tuned up. The Technician suggested to him that Aspen premix 50:1 was the best thing going for a persons auger . He relayed this info to me and figured why not. I drained my tank and filled it with the Aspen Premix 50:1 fuel.

The auger started fine. I noticed it ran a little rougher. I figured it was just the higher octane in the Aspen fuel. Today at the lake I started the auger as usual; started easy. Drilled a few holes. Then the auger started to bog while drilling. I worked through the bogging and manged to drill 5 more holes. I let the auger sit for half hour in disbelief. Then I though Ill try to drill a few more holes. When I went to start the auger I noticed a lot of blueish oil residue had dripped from the exhaust onto the flute. Their was oil all around the exhaust. Please note I had run the auger 5 or 6 times at home to test it on the Aspen fuel and to have the fuel run through the whole system. I drilled 10 more holes with the auger only bogging twice more .

Could it be that the Apsen is cleaning out the carb and motor which was causing the bogging , and the blueish oil is residue from the previous years usage with too rich of a mix? Or is Aspen its self causing my auger to bog?

Thanks in advance

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lots of issues with aspen in cold weather. Don’t use it.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Been using Aspen fuel in my auger for the last 3 years and haven't had any problems. I buy the 4 cycle gas and mix my own oil; 100:1 amsoil sabre. My auger is now 11 years old, I switch to aspen after gas from the pump was gumming up my motor with all the ethanol. You can really tell the difference when you change you tanks (mine cracked like all the other older style tanks).  The ethanol turned my tank and fuel lines yellow. So far no yellowing with aspen.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
As for cold weather starting she fired up when it was -35C after being left in the garage all night and then the box of a truck for a 3 hour ride to the lake.

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
Turns out the Aspen was cleaning out the left behind oil causing it to bog down. Now that all the old oil has been blown out the auger runs like a top and starts on the first pull with no smoke. :)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If that happens again let it warm up and just hold it wide open for a few secs without any load . Burp it like that a few time. It could have got loaded up. Sometimes you just have to clear out the 2 strokes !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.