Author Topic: Lakes around Iriquois  (Read 3565 times)

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
Lakes around Iriquois
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Does anyone have info on any lakes in this area. I am familiar with Emerald and Constance. Was wondering about Grassy, how do you get in and are there other lakes around with fish in them. Thanks.

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakes around Iriquois
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Bump ;D

Offline saskatchewanace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Grassy lake and chain of little lakes to east going to road .
Section three or selby lake
Bocskay lake
Kay lake
Chord lake
Jessop lake
Eagleback lake was good of perch but now polluted with small pike.
Pratt lake
Con stance lake
Fur lake
Mont nebo lake for rainbow.
Don't forget about lac la peche and Martins lake.
Took it for granted what we had as kids fishing within a couple minutes.
Farming takes care of all my inspections to go fishing these days.

Offline LeviK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Eagleback had a winterkill recently. 2015 test netting didn't find a thing. Flooding/run off from the cattle corals across the road is probably part of the problem. Probably won't hold fish again without aeration.

http://publications.gov.sk.ca/documents/66/89777-d7b2564f-c972-4d17-af26-0733015fbbf9.pdf

Offline saskatchewanace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Guy from town ( Blaine lake ) said he caught a few pike late this summer in eagle back and  threw them all back because all were under a foot long.
Woytiuks have been feeding there cattle just south east of lake and most of runoff go into lake which is to bad.
Wow it is amazing been 20 or so  years since last fishing eagle back. Use to pull 14 and 15 inch perch from deepest part of lake. Also section three had some great perch and they are gone as well from what I hear.

Offline LeviK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:42 PM »
I fished Selby once last winter caught two thin 16 inch pike. In my experience lakes that small are very susceptible to over fishing and don't produce a lot of big fish but are pretty fun to visit. Little hidden honey holes :)

I remember when I first moved to Sask around 2010 there was a ton of shacks on Chord and now the last few winters there has been next none.

Around five years ago I gave an elderly couple chasing cows down the road a hand and they told me I could fish the lakes on there land anytime. Scott Lakes if I remember right. They said the flooding brought a whole bunch of pike in and that they would probably winter kill soon or get netted out. Not sure what the current status of that those lakes is.

I try hike into and fish Grassy once a winter but haven't gotten out this winter. The south road allowance into grassy was very badly rutted a couple of summers ago and was still horrendous to drive down in the winter.  I occasionally fly fish Grassy Creek that you cross on the road on the way to constance and have caught the odd nice (4-5 lb) pike in the creek.

As you can tell by my stories I love visiting the area and fishing those lakes even thought they aren't big fish lakes. I would love to pick your brain Saskatchewanace. Is there any fish left in Kay Lakes? I've always wondered if I could get in those and what the landowners are like.

Offline saskatchewanace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:49 AM »
Have not heard of any winter ice huts on Kay lake for years. I think kay froze out late every winter .might make a trout lake if a air fan was put up and fisheries got involved.
Although it is rumored that some local caught a 20 lb pike in chord lake two summers ago.
We use to watch the pelicans going out when checking cattle and then a week later the boats were there as well .
Lots happened when the water was high.
We take what we have for small lake around for granted

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:48 PM »
 Thanks guys. Going over maps of the area and names on them dont jive. Royal lake shows on the map. is there fish in it? Thanks again

Offline LeviK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Ive never heard of fish in Royal Lake. I think it is alkaline or saline because there is a ton of white foam and crust on the sides of it at certain times of the year.

You should go to HABI SASK and looko at their interactive maps https://gisappl.saskatchewan.ca/Html5Ext/?viewer=habisask. They have info and a decent number of lakes in Saskatchewan showing what species are in them and what species have been stocked in the past. It also had some depth maps for these lakes. If you type the names of these lakes into google maps they all show up except Grassy Lake which is labelled Wawgaw Lake.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Has anyone been out to shell lately . Just wondering what the ice is like .thanks.

Offline SK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Very interested in many of these small lakes as well. I know that all stocking in Eagleback has been discontinued which is too bad. Have never heard of Kay lake and if anyone could PM on how to get into Grassy or Kay that would be awesome.

We have have cabin at Pebble Baye so I love to try new lakes in the area.

Offline tfm00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Was at Shell this past weekend, ice is good, 24inches or so.  More shacks out there this year than in previous.  Seems some are catching some pike and the odd walleye.

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Been out a couple of times now to Fur lake. What a pretty little gem. Fishing was O.K. Steady but not too aggressive bite for small pike in 7 fow.
Could not connect with any eyes. Fished the south lake. Access was north of Pratt Lake turnoff. Access last weekend was O.K. Needed 4by4 to get out. After this snow I wouldn't drive down unless the road was plowed. Talked to some others. The catch on Pratt is hit or miss. Mostly miss. Some shacks on Mont Nebo. Good access but slow fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.