New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: A different type of jaw jacker question for guys who like / use it...  (Read 784 times)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
When you are fishing for pike, trout (larger fish, not pannies): When the pole trips, do you fight the fish right up, or do you flip the bail and let it run and fight it from the run? I'm asking because I hooked into a nice trout last year. Tried to horse it right up. Lost it just below the hole. Ty.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I always set the drag loose. So you can only bend the pole 1/2 way before it kicks out drag  ( I use the heavy 33 inch jaw jacket poles for pike and lakers ) . Too tight and you will just pop the hook out when it sets off. I just give it a good hook set and take it easy. Trout like to run 2-3 times I always like to wear them out.  They see that hole and they take a good run. I don’t like to let that line go slack they can shake the hook  once they run a bit I’ll snugg up that drag and get them up the hole!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks a lot!

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
I usually don’t use mine on pennies, mostly pike and lakers. I usually set my drag just enough to let the jacker set the hook. I usually set the poles I’m using the night before so I don’t have to mess with them on the ice.

Offline Icemaster19

• IceShanty Rookie
Like full throttle said keep the line tight no matter what!

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
When you get the fish to the hole fight them but make sure you do snag the ice and try not to let the fish rub it's face on the ice.   Both will lose fish.   If you need to take you spud bar and chip the I away at the bottom of the hole.  This may prevent the ice from cutting the line.   Done horse them in especially big fish.   They will pull the hook out if it is in the softer mouth tissue.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you like jaw jackers try the rods. They are great rods for a fair price

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
I trout fish with them all the time and just have the drag set loose.
Yay4u

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.