The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: ***Man thru the Ice Kent County***  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
***Man thru the Ice Kent County***
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Man went thru the ice today on Lake Bella Vista-Kent county, only 20 yds off shore. Was not safe for Fire Department to do rescue if they were not equipped with the Hovercraft, which they did have. Fire was able to get to subject who didnt sustain any major injuries. Subject was on the Ice alone. Ice is not safe in most of Michigan. I hope they send him the bill for the response especially putting more peoples lifes in jeopardy including a bystander who was trying to help rescue before fire arrived.   
I heard there was also one that went thru in Muskegon today and was rescued safely as well, but do not have info on the details of that one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: ***Man thru the Ice Kent County***
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:17 PM »
all for a fish...screw that.i didn't even go spudding around this weekend.too warm and a lot of melting snow.i know the ice is soft right now around here.some guys just cant wait I guess.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Can't fix stupid

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Can't fix stupid

That’s for sure!
It won’t be long up here if snow holds off though
Catching Any?

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:17 PM »
The Darwin effect will thin "them" out.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Don't these guys hunt? Maybe they tagged out and are bored  ::)
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Another on bass lake I forget what county
But this one is a not a rescue search and recovery
Going on now

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Grawn area

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:43 PM »
I heard of sevral up this way also. The latest one 2 guys went in and got out but someone saw them in the water and called fire dept. when they got thewre the people in the water were no longer showing so they called the dive team. Meanwhile the guys lived on the lake or had aplace on the lake had went dried off but had enough sense to tell the EMT that it was them that fell in so search was called off. How many lives did they put in danger for their stupidty

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:17 PM »
What ever happened to using a spud bar?

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:19 PM »
Ice was definitely sketchy in SW MI.  Checked 4 locations yesterday in Ottawa Co. before I was able to get out on somewhat fishable ice.  Spudding every step was necessary.  Ice held up until about noon and then went to crap fast as the 1" of good ice below the 1.5" of crap ice with snow on top started to separate and sink.... made it back dry.  Giving it a few more days before I get back out there.  Perhaps a drive up north later this week. 

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Ice was definitely sketchy in SW MI.  Checked 4 locations yesterday in Ottawa Co. before I was able to get out on somewhat fishable ice.  Spudding every step was necessary.  Ice held up until about noon and then went to crap fast as the 1" of good ice below the 1.5" of crap ice with snow on top started to separate and sink.... made it back dry.  Giving it a few more days before I get back out there.  Perhaps a drive up north later this week.
We have a lot of snow up this way and today it was cold but the air was wet almost like rain. I think it put a lot of weight on the ice hopefully it will push it down and freeze

Offline jasburrito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:01 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/fox17online.com/2017/12/17/cannon-firefighters-use-hovercraft-to-rescue-man-from-lake-bella-vista-ice/amp/ my ice fishing buddy's and I are all pretty stupid.  But smart enough to know it's not time yet. Maybe it was  a suicide attempt.
Love watching youtube videos of ice fishing. Dave Genz is the best. Mark Martin and jason Mitchell are great too. Fred Trost  is the man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.