Author Topic: Newfound  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jig60389

• IceShanty Rookie
Newfound
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Any ice on there or is this cold front hopefully going to be what locks it up good?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:44 PM »
There was what appeared to be skim ice off Cummings beach down to the town beach last week. It actually looked like somebody may have drilled a couple holes off Cummings but I’m not sure as I just viewed it from the parking lot. Should be some after this cold spell.
Wellington state park was wide open last week. That locked up very late last year.

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Not sure anyone on this board fishes Newfound Lake..

he he he

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Not sure anyone on this board fishes Newfound Lake..

he he he

Nah...no fish in there anyhow...

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Any ice on there or is this cold front hopefully going to be what locks it up good?

North of Mayhew Island is mostly open water as of today. The foot of the lake (south end) is locked up. If the wind relaxes with the temps expected the next two weeks the ice should form quickly. As ALWAYS check as you go. Don't rely on some guy on a computer.  :whistle:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:50 PM »
North of Mayhew Island is mostly open water as of today. The foot of the lake (south end) is locked up. If the wind relaxes with the temps expected the next two weeks the ice should form quickly. As ALWAYS check as you go. Don't rely on some guy on a computer.  :whistle:

I happened to go by Cummings today and sure enuff, Jiggin was putting his house out along with another one. Not sure if they were on the ice or on the beach though...
Looks like the circus is about to start!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:51 PM »
I try to get on Newfound a couple times a year

Offline Jig60389

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Ive never fished it through the ice but recently got permission to access the lake from a coworker who has a family camp on there. Ive also never fished for lakers through the ice and would like to give it a try this year. The access is by Rocky shore road if anyone has any input on if that puts me anywhere near laker fishing. I'm typically a perch guy through the ice but would like to catch something a little bigger this year at least once. Tight lines

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Ive never fished it through the ice but recently got permission to access the lake from a coworker who has a family camp on there. Ive also never fished for lakers through the ice and would like to give it a try this year. The access is by Rocky shore road if anyone has any input on if that puts me anywhere near laker fishing. I'm typically a perch guy through the ice but would like to catch something a little bigger this year at least once. Tight lines

Find 35-45 ft of water with sandy bottom and you should see lakers on Newfound. In addition, the length limit on Newfound is 15” for lakers because of the high numbers of smaller ones. 
Keep everything legal and help improve the fishery!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:51 PM »

You should be good to go straight out from shore. A lake map will tell you the depths better and give you an idea of how far out to go. It will be a bit for it to catch though. Follow the Circus thread when the 2018 edition is posted. This will give you info on ice conditions and tips on what's catching them. Bring a Motorola go to channel 5.5 and follow the madness live when your on the ice. Good luck!!

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry/newfound_bristol.pdf

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:58 PM »
In all honesty, if you have a flasher and are using smaller jigs (tubes, crappie magnets, ect) you will definitely catch a laker in Newfound. One of the easier lakes to find them in. When I first got into ice fishing and I had no idea what I was doing, me and my brother always did well there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.