Author Topic: Start them Young  (Read 629 times)

Offline HuntinandFishing365

• IceShanty Rookie
Start them Young
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I was able to Finally take my son out on the ice yesterday for the first time this year. I had my doubts and concerns about how everything would go with the cold temps and the fact he that just turned six. For those of you that have taken people  out for their first time especially young kids know how difficult and frustrating it can be. We got on the ice and I drilled a few holes to check for fish. My son pointed to the second hole I drilled and said that ones his. I told him we should check and see if there are any fish first. But before I could say anything else he picked up his pole and headed that way. So I grabbed the vex and dropped it in the hole and fish moving all over. Got him baited up, showed him how to read the flasher and went to check the other holes. I just made it to another hole when he said he pulled a 11 inch crappie on the ice. So we flipped up the shanty and fished that spot for almost three hours. We managed to get 16 nice crappie and 10 nice gills. By the time we left he was able to Bait all his own hooks and take off all his own fish. He was even asking to take mine off. Who am I to tell the kid no! 😁 That being said we still had issues with tangled poles, spilled bait, lost his head lamp in his hole, almost loosing a pole it got frustrating at times. But his reaction and pure excitement every time a fish came out of his hole keeper or not makes every frustrating moment disappear and we’ll worth it.
  Not trying to be sappy just wanted to share about my best experience ice fishing and some great memories made. Hope everyone stays safe and is able to make some great memories of their own.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Start them Young
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:07 PM »
I know exactly how you feel. My son is also 6 and I was able to get him on the ice for the first time a couple days ago and got him his first Ice gill. Cherish these moments.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Nothin sapoy about that at all! I remember them days, stuff goin down the hole, crap flyin everywhere, fish on! Lines tanglin... I ENVY you, way to go man

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Sounds like a very successful first experience for you and your son. You did it right  :thumbsup:

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:21 PM »
you did the best thing for kids. You got him out in nature. way to go.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Way to go.  It's always refreshing to hear these stories, about getting those youngsters excited about the sport of fishing.

Offline Pingman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Great story, started with my dad when I was young. Still go out with him every chance I can. Now he is 74 and I'm 47.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Awesome job bud.  I took my 8yo daughter New year's weekend only got one crappie.  But I'm taking my 5yo son tomorrow morning and hopefully we can have as good of a day as u guys did.   Congratulations on making a fisherman for life n a life long fishing buddy

Offline Dinkgetter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing a great story about your family! Tangled lines, that was me and still is! Wish my kids and grand kids did not live so far away.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:20 AM »
AWESOME!!!!!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.