Author Topic: Who's wearing FUR ??  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who's wearing FUR ??
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:15 PM »
One of my many ...Ice Fishing Tuks....This one is Muskrat with Otter...my son and I trap all the fur for our hats...then send the pelts out for tanning and have someone to sew our design together.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who's wearing FUR ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:17 PM »

This one is a Coon with Fisher .....these hats are too warm sometimes...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:31 PM »
I have one made or rabbit.
Super warm!!!
If I'm doing any kind of exercise it's too warm.
Just running my snowblower in anything warmer than -40 and I'm sweating like mad.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:40 PM »
Yup. Fur ~ the renewable resource .     ;)2

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:50 AM »
Wish I was..

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 03:57 AM »
Do you ever make mittens?

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:50 AM »
Nice hats!! I'm a trapper as well,I've got a few of my nicer coyote from last season tanned and am looking to get them made into a hat of some sort, who does your work?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:19 AM »
I Have a Coyote hat that only comes out when it gets closer to 0

WS

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:20 AM »
I have a tanned coyote hide hanging on the wall that I would love to get turned into a hat, just don't have anything to use as a liner.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:27 AM »

I have a coyote skin hat ,

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:28 AM »
I have a coyote skin hat ,

Did you line it with another type of fur?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:50 AM »
Bunny hat warm as h-'ll. Also wear Bunny boots( no fur) but the warmest boot on the planet.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:04 AM »
I like your hat Nessmuck.  I have a similar one made out of coyote.  Its a little too warm for me most of the time.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:17 AM »
my hat is rabbit fur.its too warm to wear most times.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Nice hats!! I'm a trapper as well,I've got a few of my nicer coyote from last season tanned and am looking to get them made into a hat of some sort, who does your work?

Just google .. Glacier Wear...send them you tanned pelts and your wishes....I use Moyles Mink &Tannery ...the best by far !....but be patient...6-8 months turn a round.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Do you ever make mittens?

Yup....16 inch beaver gauntlets,with Moose hide palms....you need two 55 inch beavah pelts to make a pair of these.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I have a lot of yotes this year on my property.  Have started trying to trap after coming up empty with deer.  Nothing but opossum so far If I do manage to fool a yote my plan has been to make an ice fishing hat out of it.  What makes a good liner for them?

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:27 AM »

This is a 70lb beaver that I trapped earlier this year.  It is currently at Moyles Mink and Tannery, along with 6 others, to get tanned.  I plan on getting hats, mittens, and whatever else I can made with the beavers.  These garments are not going to be cheap by the time I'm done, that's for sure.  It cost me $90 just to ship them from WI to Idaho.  I also opted for the 40 day service from Moyles, which costs an extra 50% per hide.  Oh well, I'm not doing it to save money, just thought it would be neat to wear garments that I caught myself.  I'm planning on taking the tanned hides to Wild Things Fur in LaFarge, WI when I get them back. 

Nessmuck, I'm assuming the inside of those beaver mittens are also beaver hide, not just a soft fabric? 

Offline Hondafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Mine too rabbits fur and its plenty warm

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:01 PM »

This is a 70lb beaver that I trapped earlier this year.  It is currently at Moyles Mink and Tannery, along with 6 others, to get tanned.  I plan on getting hats, mittens, and whatever else I can made with the beavers.  These garments are not going to be cheap by the time I'm done, that's for sure.  It cost me $90 just to ship them from WI to Idaho.  I also opted for the 40 day service from Moyles, which costs an extra 50% per hide.  Oh well, I'm not doing it to save money, just thought it would be neat to wear garments that I caught myself.  I'm planning on taking the tanned hides to Wild Things Fur in LaFarge, WI when I get them back. 

Nessmuck, I'm assuming the inside of those beaver mittens are also beaver hide, not just a soft fabric?
Nice wood chipper!! With pelt prices being as low as they are having hats and gloves made is a good idea.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:30 PM »

This one is a Coon with Fisher .....these hats are too warm sometimes...

x2 on too warm. I'm no trapper but when my wife's aunt passed their family thought she needed this horrible turquoise wool coat. U - u - gly. It did have a nice silver coyote collar though...  ::)

Found a cheapie trooper hat at WallyWorld and had my Mom turn the collar into a hat. Really bushy, very Russian and no way can I wear it unless it's below zero. Ain't had much of that since Al Gore invented global warming.

Nice hats guys!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:51 PM »

Wow!!  should have a full jacket made of that beaver..

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I trapped a few coyotes behind the house a few years back.  I skinned, fleshed, and tanned the yote myself.  I used a kit for the tanning process, I think it was called Rittels tanning kit.  I then sent the yote to Alaska, and a lady from Alaska Spirit Crafts made two hats from the hide.  Still using these hats today, should last a lifetime. 

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:17 AM »
These were made by an elder from a northern manitoba community. Moose hide and beaver. They are incredibly warm. A thin pair of liner gloves is all I wear. Had them on riding the quad in -25 temps last year, super warm!

Offline Fishguts81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I have a pair of home made beaver gauntlet mittens with muskrat liners. Also have a beaver hat , both are too warm on all but the coldest days here in PA.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Very happy with my rabbit fur Mad Bomber hat!
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Coyote hat that will melt your head if it isn't -0

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:52 PM »
I have a rabbit fur/leather bomber hat and rabbit fur/leather mittens. Both plenty warm for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.