Author Topic: Revisit floor in hub  (Read 421 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Revisit floor in hub
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Recently there was a thread about floors in the pop up/hub shelters, It didn't last long and was lost.  Would astro turf be any good for that? I am still searching for more info on the interlocking rubber mats.
Thread killer

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Revisit floor in hub
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:02 PM »
When you say astro turf, are you talking of the rolled grass matting used on porches/patios? I think it would probably work;don't see freezing being an issue. The interlocking mats on the other hand might especially the "locks". If they freeze, it's possible they could break off. Maybe buy a couple and test them out. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:43 PM »
If really wet and subfreeze temps, the interlocking fitness matts, may freeze onto the ice.  If the matts gets damp, as they will soak up some moisture, they can freeze together as well.  I've been using my Walmart fitness matts for years.  Used them to help get the truck out of a snow back too.  They didn't work as well as carpet/door matts.  Should've brought the tire chains that time, but foolishly didn't.

I would still use the locking fitness matts.  They work great.  I don't worry even if I have my cleats on.  A few more holes ain't gonna worry me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:18 PM »
For close to a decade I’ve used the interlocking foam mats. I’ve never had an issue with them freezing down, soaking up water, or having the tabs break off. Some have broken off but that was from standing on them when picking them up...not from freezing issues.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:42 AM »
After you drill your holes throw down kitty litter down  if not planning to come back this prevents others form drilling your spot again. And provides traction on pressed flat snow.. I don't suggest digging shanty floor out cause water level will come up  but every ones different??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.