Author Topic: Light bar for night fishing  (Read 2394 times)

Offline brett68

• IceShanty Rookie
Light bar for night fishing
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Anyone have a cheap solution for some kind of light bar/lantern that will light up a 2 man flip shelter?

Ive had some smaller lights, the frabil strap on etc. and they just are not bright enough. Ide love a rechargeable light bar, that i can strap to a bar on top of the shelter.

The heater/graph provides a bit of light as well, but i want to do more night fishing this year and would love to be  able to see well.

At this point, i may try this...not sure i want to trust this "as seen on tv" product though...

https://www.trylightbar.com/

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Light bar for night fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Hey there brett68! Welcome aboard The Shanty is a great place for info like you request! One of the coolest builds I've seen in a while is JDS outdoors portable power box.(youtube) If ya fish with electronics this might be the way you want to go. I'm not knowing what you consider cheap but remember the paradox of bargains is they are seldom cheap! Consider the many uses of this multitasking unit and the 4 season possibilities and it may indeed may be the solution to your needs. Have a great season and stay safe!

Offline planner47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:14 AM »
have you seen the atom beam on tv? I have 2 of them and they are pretty bright.
Be careful and a life jacket and JESUS IS A GREAT SAVING COMBINATION!!

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:17 AM »
im a vehicle tech for gm I through blue point purchased a 40 inch led under hood work light. It comes with a spreader bar the is adjustable and reaches all the way across myt 2 man flip house. Its cordless. Battery lasts all night if im pulling all nighter. they are unbreakable and have a warranty if broken
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:21 AM »

At this point, i may try this...not sure i want to trust this "as seen on tv" product though...

https://www.trylightbar.com/

If you want real easy, that or similar should work fine, and its multi purpose, unlike the one wired to my shanty...

<°)))>{

Offline brett68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses! That JDS power box is sure awesome! Not going to attempt that but i would sure love to have one! lol

For how cheap that bell and Howell light bar is, seems like its worth the risk even if it does ends up sucking! Seems like it'll be similar to those atom lights and i have heard a few times they are bright!

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:46 AM »
I rigged up a cheap 12v LED rope light that's 4' long to a spare vexilar battery.  Pretty simple to do, just add alligator clips and an inline fuse and your all set.  I put some Velcro loops on one of the roof support bars and hang it from them.  Takes less than 20 seconds to hook up, and it lasts for the whole night on a vex battery.  I just recharge it when I get home, so I don't have to spend a bunch of money on batteries.

Offline MACgaffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I bought the Harbor freight solar rechargeable security light...think i'll try that!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Here's what I'm going to use. LED tape. It is 5 meters long. With this particular brand, I had a choice of soft white, and bright white. The soft white provides adequate light at full power to tie a jig, but are not overpowering. I ordered a PWM dimmer but it hasn't arrived yet. I feel the dimmer will be nice to bring the level down to a glow. The lights are water resistant to IP-65 standards.

About $9.00 for the lights, and about $2.50 for the dimmer. Both had good reviews. I think they will work nice.

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I am going to use some cheapo utility/cabinet led lights that run on batteries.  I can still fall back on the duel fuel lantern, but pain in the arse whenever the mantels breaks.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:08 PM »
craftsman rechargeable LED shop light 20$ lasted me 4 yrs so far, but getting new one this year. longest i had it out on the ice running was 7hours without prob.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Here's what I'm going to use. LED tape. It is 5 meters long. With this particular brand, I had a choice of soft white, and bright white. The soft white provides adequate light at full power to tie a jig, but are not overpowering. I ordered a PWM dimmer but it hasn't arrived yet. I feel the dimmer will be nice to bring the level down to a glow. The lights are water resistant to IP-65 standards.

About $9.00 for the lights, and about $2.50 for the dimmer. Both had good reviews. I think they will work nice.

I got the 600 LED super bright. cut them into 3 pieces. one for the front of the fled, one directly overhead and one to light up the back of the sled. all powered by a spare flasher battery. switches to light each one separately.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 04:02 AM »
I got the 600 LED super bright. cut them into 3 pieces. one for the front of the fled, one directly overhead and one to light up the back of the sled. all powered by a spare flasher battery. switches to light each one separately.

That's kind of what I had in mind.  I think I will simplify. All controlled by the one dimmer. No switches will be needed in my case.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:00 AM »
I used a cheap plastic ammo can from Harbor Freight ($3.99), switches and 20ga stranded wire from ebay

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:47 AM »

That's kind of what I had in mind.  I think I will simplify. All controlled by the one dimmer. No switches will be needed in my case.
pretty easy, 16 feet of strip lights under 10 bucks on amazon, spare sonar battery walmart for 20 bucks
Put some time in thinking & it makes for a nice set up> I have 3 switches to control each one separately
tons of guys here have done this, see the shack threads in the Equipment section
Get bit!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I found a 12v LED bulb at Menard's. Looks just like any regular light bulb. I bought a cheap light socket, had some low voltage wiring, and hooked it up to a spare 12v boat battery. Just like daytime in my shanty. Haven't used it yet this season. Waiting on good ice.  Total $ 12..

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Here is another cheap option.  https://www.amazon.com/Qooltek-Portable-Reading-Strips-Eye-care/dp/B00XC2XCNU/ref=br_lf_m_zokjmbq6xjkd754_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=hi  These are USB powered, so you can use a rechargeable USB battery bank to run them.  They also have a magnetic mounting option, which I think is handy.  $15 ish for the light, you provide your own battery bank. 

If you want to get really no-frills, there is the humble usb powered light bulb found here https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Portable-White-Outdoor-Laptop/dp/B01IH1N0QO/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513533891&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+light+bulb  Less than $3 on amazon, also can be powered by a USB battery bank.

Both of these options could also potentially be powered by a portable solar cell mounted to the top of your shack, provided you had plenty of sun.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Rayovac sportsman works great inside to hang up with hook that's in base or outside as a lantern , hi & low settings LED really great had mine for years , lowes had them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.