Author Topic: New Hub Shelter - Accessories Help  (Read 1511 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Hub Shelter - Accessories Help
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to ice fishing and am ordering my first shelter.  I'm getting the Clam Bigfoot XL2000.  Going that route because it has the most headroom of comparable shelters and I'm 6'4".  Being in Pennsylvania, I think I'm fine with non-insulated.  We generally aren't dealing with negative digit temps here.

My question is what kind of accessories really make a difference in the shelter?  I already have a depthfinder and have a heater ordered.  What other accessories really make a difference?  Throw your best ideas at me. 

I currently have a sled, auger, slush scoop, folding chair, and 5 gallon bucket.  What am I missing?

-  Jim
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Hub Shelter - Accessories Help
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:16 AM »
welcome to the sport of ice fishing!

A spud to test ice unknown ice, for safety
I would add an aerator for the bait bucket. I use a Bubble Box when on the ice and travelling
I recommend adding a nylon strap to your sled rope. the length helps with the trials of the drag and you can also add a should harness to distribute the wait
Headlamp, for the early mornings and the night bite

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Some advice with that hub.. you want more headroom? Don't shovel an area where you set it up, shovel it out afterwards and if there is a foot of snow you get another foot of headroom! I love that trick.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Good advice is to practice practice practice setting it up and down several times ...including putting it into the bag ...you may want to replace the ties that secure the bag

http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Yep, do some practice at home first, read the instructions for set up and take down.  I haven't done it but I have seen a hub essentially turned inside out and we were unable to get it set up out on the ice.  I also know of another fellow that had the same issue and ended up taking the hubs apart to straighten it out.  For me set up is pop the top first then the 4 sides, take down is reverse and I will admit I forget what the instructions say but I almost think there are on a tag sewn into the storage bag, I have the eskimo fat fish 949  I would recommend you anchor at least 2 corners every time you set up regardless of wind, wind usually comes with a first blast around me and by then its too late.  You will also want to anchor the walls that are on the wind side, the side can pop in with a good wind and when that hub hits you in the forehead because you were too busy fishing it hurts like hell.  Lots of guys use the cam straps for anchoring the hubs but I don't think I ever will.  I can tie knots pretty well so I just have a length of cord tied to each hub that just stays on the shack, can't lose them and they never get left behind. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Awesome suggestions guys.  Keep them coming.  Any need for floors?  I see some guys use exercise mats or car style floor mats.  Any need for a table?  I intend to have my sled inside the shelter.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Awesome suggestions guys.  Keep them coming.  Any need for floors?  I see some guys use exercise mats or car style floor mats.  Any need for a table?  I intend to have my sled inside the shelter.

What are your intentions with the sled inside the shelter?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I got these for my Otter XTH Pro Lodge, but haven't used them yet.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-High-Impact-Flooring-Puzzle-Mat-6-Pieces/43524147

Last year I used a 2 man off brand shanty and build a complex floor from a 1/4 ply with styrofoam insulation sandwiched behind a sheet of plastic. It was very comfortable but a pain to carry as it added some weight, not to mention how bulky it was. I am hoping the foam will do and can be packed easily and super light. I am a big fan of having a floor, especially when it is ultra cold windchill around here. I think it makes a huge difference. I should mention that I usually don't hop around the lake at all. If you plan on moving around, it'd be a pain.

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:50 PM »
What are your intentions with the sled inside the shelter?
I do this too when I am out by myself, leave everything on the sled, set up shack, anchor two corners on the same side then you can lift the un anchored side and push the sled under the shack.  Saves from packing all your crap in the door.  If you do pack it all in the door when you are done fishing tip the shack rather than packing everything back out the door.  A benefit to having the sled inside is a place to set things without them being on the wet ice/snow.  Here is another, if you plan to heat the shack pack your heater in a milk crate, take heater out of milk crate and turn the crate upside down to make a stand for the heater.  Elevated heater tends to keep the ice/snow from melting. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:00 PM »
I do this too when I am out by myself, leave everything on the sled, set up shack, anchor two corners on the same side then you can lift the un anchored side and push the sled under the shack.  Saves from packing all your crap in the door.  If you do pack it all in the door when you are done fishing tip the shack rather than packing everything back out the door.  A benefit to having the sled inside is a place to set things without them being on the wet ice/snow.  Here is another, if you plan to heat the shack pack your heater in a milk crate, take heater out of milk crate and turn the crate upside down to make a stand for the heater.  Elevated heater tends to keep the ice/snow from melting.

i leave the sled outside to help transport the bait when checking traps. if too cold, i will bring the bait into the shanty to keep from freezing. the sled takes up too much space to stay inside, although i only have a 4 man popup

Offline MACgaffer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:04 PM »
I take briquettes, starter fluid, cheese and bologna every time I go!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Some things I haven't seen mentioned:

1. Build yourself a "Smitty Sled". Lots of threads about this on here if you do a search.

2. If you have a "Buddy" heater; build or buy a cooking gratet to reheat or cook on.

3. some sort of table is nice. I use a storage bib that doubles as a table.

4. Echo the benefit of Eskimo anchors and maybe an installation tool. Also change out the straps for the hub anchors to a bit more sturdy ratchet strap.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Not an accessory as much as this is a modification.

In the corners the support ribs slide into pockets. I know on older Clam hubs these pockets would often pull apart. Not sure if this has been reinforced in newer hubs or not. Anyway....it might not be a bad thing to reinforce yourself. I took 100# braided fishing line and hand sewed those pockets.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:30 AM »

Table - https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Compact-Folding-Table/dp/B00HKCXVWU/ref=lp_3400841_1_13?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1513423587&sr=1-13

They’re great, light and fold up to the size of a laptop.  I use this and the GCI Pico chairs in my hub.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline honest john

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:44 AM »
I think most of the important accessories have been covered, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a FAN.  A small battery powered fan hung from the ceiling will move the warm air down from the ceiling of your hub to more evenly heat it.  A fan also helps reduced condensation.

Enjoy.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I think most of the important accessories have been covered, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a FAN.  A small battery powered fan hung from the ceiling will move the warm air down from the ceiling of your hub to more evenly heat it.  A fan also helps reduced condensation.

Enjoy.

That’s a great tip. I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2017, 12:37 PM »

Enjoy.
I too am a big fan.   accesseries...floor mats 20 x 36  non slip at Home Depot for $3 each.
Thread killer

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:02 PM »
1. A safety rope with a weight on the end that can be thrown.
2. A light, a headlamp, and a flashlight.  I have all three.
3. A compass and a GPS.  If it's blowing snow and pitch dark, you want to be able to walk back to your vehicle and walk on ice that you've already walked on.  You can also use the GPS to mark your fishing spot.
4. Bags for your garbage.
5. I have a plastic cup with a handle so that I can add water to my minnows, a little at a time or to change out the water.
6. A large, empty Gatorade bottle or plastic coffee can with a lid to use as a urinal.
7. An ice scooper.
8. A friend to go fishing with.
9. Extra dry gloves and socks packed away.
10. Ice picks on your person.
11. Coffee and snacks.
12. A lightweight drill motor for your Eskimo ice anchors and insertion tool.
13. An extra pole or two so that if you have equipment problems, you're not spending all day messing with the problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.