Author Topic: Let’s talk socks  (Read 2916 times)

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Let’s talk socks
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Never even heard of alpaca socks untill i read this post. Definitely want to order myself a pair. What brand do you guys have?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:09 PM »
I spent some points and picked up three different Cabela's wool blend socks to try this year.  This was the most expensive.  Tried it first this week.  They did so well I almost don't want to try the others.

Cabela's Men's Wool Ultimax® Socks – Heavyweight

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Never even heard of alpaca socks untill i read this post. Definitely want to order myself a pair. What brand do you guys have?

Not sure on brand, but alpaca wool regardless of brand is where it's at. Just plug in a search and find some in your price range and weight preference and you'll love em.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:51 AM »

I get mine from local alpaca farms. They don't really have a brand, just make them on sight.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:10 AM »
I get my alpaca's locally from an alpaca farm...they have open houses 2x a year and sell at the local farmers market

FG Steve, those socks are nice and comfy but they don't last very long with regular use. I have 3 pair my wife gave me for xmas last year and 2 have worn thin in the toe box...I beat the hell out of these socks though. Take good care of them (hang dry helps) and they'll give you plenty of use

Catchin' Fish

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Echo what the others mentioned.  I pick them up at the locals.  Some have a coop that helps them have products made in bulk while keeping costs down.  Google 'em up, I'm sure there's someone near you.

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Smartwool's warmest sock (Mountaineer calf high) are the warmest breathable sock I've tried so far and I've tried many of the others listed here.  If you've not tried the Mountaineer's specifically; I think their about $20 and hold up really well, also no sagging in the calf-high version.

Definitely want to try these waterproof breathers in comparison.  Think REI would have them?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Alpaca...for sure the best socks out there - and super comfy/stretchy. I've had darn near every gander mtn, cabelas, fox river, smartwool, rag wool, with/without liners, etc. wool sock out there and alpacas are the only socks i'll wear ice fishing. Alpaca insoles are very nice too! Fox River and smartwool are the best everyday socks, however.

I completely agree!!! At over $30 a pair I cannot afford to have a full drawer of alpaca socks but they are first choice. But for a very economical VERY warm sock coming in at over 80% merino wool and heavy is the fox river socks. I love these socks!!

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fox-river-mills-outdoorsox-over-the-calf-socks-gray/0000000053521?Ntt=Wool%20socks

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:46 PM »
After reading so many glowing reports on alpaca socks, I picked some up.  I had to search carefully to find some that were 100% alpaca wool and ending up finding a deal on four pairs for around $40.

I wore a pair on the ice today and my feet were noticeably warmer than when wearing my usual favorite Smartwool socks.  I wore them with the very thin polypro liner socks I always wear as a base layer.

If you're thinking about trying alpaca, don't hesitate! 

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I wouldn't mind scoring that deal.  Care to share?

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind scoring that deal.  Care to share?

"Brubaker" brand from Amazon.  It was four pairs for $30; not $40. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RCTMN98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Unser armour cool gear socks..warm and comfy...can't go wrong ;)
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:02 PM »
For the price of $19.99 I'll take 4 pair in brown.  These look like they'll fall off in the boot.  That why you wear the poly liners?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:04 PM »
I like the Wigwam Canada second choice would be the Wigwam 40 below. I do also wear liners either clam or fox river.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:05 PM »
For the price of $19.99 I'll take 4 pair in brown.  These look like they'll fall off in the boot.  That why you wear the poly liners?

Because they're 100% alpaca wool, I figure they won't be very durable and probably won't hold their shape well (end up around your toes in your boot), but they worked fine today (and I walked a long ways).   But, since they are 100% alpaca and also inexpensive, I thought it would be a good way to see if I like them.  So far, so good.

I always wear polypro liners for the extra warmth and moisture management.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Got that right.

$25 for the SmartWool Hunt Extra Heavy over the calf socks.  Gotta hand it to em.. Now i don't have to wear pants, just two pair of boxers shorts and a tall-T to stay warm.  As long as i wear shoes I'm still allowed in most establishments.

Offline Ktmrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:18 PM »
I put on a pair of polypropylene liner socks and then a pair of alpaca socks best ones I have found

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.