Author Topic: Marcum lx5, M5, lx6  (Read 3121 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum lx5, M5, lx6
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Cabelas has the LX-5I for $399. I like the idea of the brushless M5 but $549 is quite a bit more and since ice fishing is an additction I was wondering if i could justify the LX6 for $629 since its not a whole lot more than the M5. I got Cabelas gift cards to spend so my purchase would be from Cabelas.

Can anyone help me out and explain why I would want one over the other. I'm upgrading from a vx1.

Thanks

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum lx5, M5, lx6
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Brushes have proven to last a long time, I wouldn't worry about that. Something else will most likely go before the brushes need replaced.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:45 PM »
i'd take the 6 any day!

the others are flashers. flasher are a what you see is what you get platform. they flash lights.

the 6 on the other hand is a digital display platform that allows the user to choose up to 4 charts at any given time from a section of 6 charts. the graph is priceless and when you get used to vertical charts and graphs and all at the same time, you'll understand what all of this means to an ice angler that enjoys modern tech and not lights flashing in their eyes all day or even worse flashing lights in your eyes at night!
glad i don't have to stare at them things any more!

because of all of these chart options and layout and features, it should be hard to out grow like i did with my ice-55 flasher. the flashing lights always aggravated me that there was nothing i could do about them and how bright they were in low light and night fishing. the digital systems use a backlight and it is adjustable down to 10% or up to 100% brightness. and best of all, no flashing lights!

if you can't afford the 6, then at least get a m series for those are brushless motors. the lx5 and down are not brushless and they are phasing those out due to motor failures.

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the input.

i'd take the 6 any day!

the others are flashers. flasher are a what you see is what you get platform. they flash lights.

the 6 on the other hand is a digital display platform that allows the user to choose up to 4 charts at any given time from a section of 6 charts. the graph is priceless and when you get used to vertical charts and graphs and all at the same time, you'll understand what all of this means to an ice angler that enjoys modern tech and not lights flashing in their eyes all day or even worse flashing lights in your eyes at night!
glad i don't have to stare at them things any more!

because of all of these chart options and layout and features, it should be hard to out grow like i did with my ice-55 flasher. the flashing lights always aggravated me that there was nothing i could do about them and how bright they were in low light and night fishing. the digital systems use a backlight and it is adjustable down to 10% or up to 100% brightness. and best of all, no flashing lights!

if you can't afford the 6, then at least get a m series for those are brushless motors. the lx5 and down are not brushless and they are phasing those out due to motor failures.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:19 AM »
I would also go with the 6 . The 6 has a ton of layout options & when Marcum has an update you get to download them onto your unit . I have a 7 & love it . Good luck 👍

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:43 PM »
The M5 picked my interest, only because I own LX5 already.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Shop around on the M5.  MSRP is $549.  I got mine from Sportsman's Guide for $450 shipped.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:39 PM »
I faced the same dilemna.  I bought the lx51. My buddy has the same thing and I liked it a lot and at 399 you cant go wrong.  In another 5 years when its time to upgrade then Ill think about going digital, that will give plenty of time for marcum to perfect them. Good luck any flasher is better than no flasher.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017, 01:45 PM »
I have the Lx 5 and the 6.  Still love the 5 for pannies but the 6 (graph mode) is awesome when chasing Macs.  When a big splat comes up on the screen it gets my heart going!!  hang on!!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I have the Lx 5 and the 6.  Still love the 5 for pannies but the 6 (graph mode) is awesome when chasing Macs.  When a big splat comes up on the screen it gets my heart going!!  hang on!!

Any reason you don't love the 6 for pannies??

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I know this sounds stupid but there are so many things to play with on the 6 I'm always messing with it.  It will do everything the 5 will do and considerably more. I don't think you will regret the 6 but I have had so many great days fishing with the 5 it would be hard to part with.

Consider the 6 can be updated with new software...if/when Marcum comes up with any significant improvements.  So far the updates have been free but IMO you get what you pay for.  Something to consider though.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:41 AM »
if it was my choice I'd grab the LX 5 because it's getting phased out. It's 2 or 3 units up from your older one. Suppose it does crap out as a worse case scenario what can they give you to keep you as a customer the next up the chain a M5

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.