Author Topic: Hummingbird ice helix 5 (OLD vs NEW difference)?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Hummingbird ice helix 5 (OLD vs NEW difference)?
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I am interested in the new ice helix 5 that just came out. What is the difference between old ice helix 5 and new one? I know new one has chirp transducer. I think it also has gps built in. What is the advantage of a chirp transducer? I am looking to replace my marcum vx1 pro. Does the ice helix 5 have the motor running inside like the vx1 or is it all digital? Does anyone have a review or opinion about this new unit? Thanks!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hummingbird ice helix 5 (OLD vs NEW difference)?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I am interested in the new ice helix 5 that just came out. What is the difference between old ice helix 5 and new one? I know new one has chirp transducer. I think it also has gps built in. What is the advantage of a chirp transducer? I am looking to replace my marcum vx1 pro. Does the ice helix 5 have the motor running inside like the vx1 or is it all digital? Does anyone have a review or opinion about this new unit? Thanks!

CHIRP stands for Compressed High Intensity Radiated Pulse and essentially means that instead of broadcasting at a traditional 200kHz, the transducer broadcasts several frequencies in a row (maybe 200kHz-300kHz- making these numbers up!) and reads each return separately and combines them into the image you see. CHIRP is supposed to have higher definition and clarity.

Here are two pictures from Garmin showing the theory. Sorry, the forum won't let me embed them.

Traditional:
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/chirpsonar/content/images/sonar-traditional-dark.gif

CHIRP:
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/chirpsonar/content/images/sonar-chirp-dark.gif

The Helix 5 is a digital unit and from what I've seen (I run Garmin), you can buy a boat-style transducer and use it in the summer too.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:46 PM »
The second generation helix units with the chirp ice ducer also supposedly have  vastly improved interference rejection than the first generation units.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Greater target separation, better interference rejection and the broader frequency spectrum as stated above.
I have the Helix 7 and love it. The ice versions have a much improved flasher view over the non ice and the
ability to view the flasher and traditional graph at the same time although that might be a bit trickier
on the Helix 5 with the smaller screen unless you have good eyes :)
If strictly for ice fishing, don't spend the money for DI or SI versions as they don't work
to full benefit sitting still.
Get bit!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:02 PM »
I got the Helix 7 g2 for my kayak this spring. An awesome unit. I just did the update with the new icefishing mode and base maps. The maps are a good start. I already have Navionics, but it will be nice if I travel. The new ice fishing mode looks awesome so far. Many options and side by side screens. I upgraded from an older 597. Night and day between the 2.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:27 PM »
If i want to use just the flasher view in full screen and zoom in 5 feet from the bottom, will i still see the full water column on the other half of the circle? That's how it is on my marcum vx1, the circle divides once i zoom in. Thanks for the replies!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.