Author Topic: Names of ice fishing "bugs"  (Read 783 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Names of ice fishing "bugs"
« on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:58 PM »
Attended the St Paul Ice Fishing show last weekend for the first time (pretty amazing how large of an event that is).  Got to listen to Dave Genz speak and chatted with him afterward.  He regularly referred to baiting with Euro larvae. 

Just want to confirm the Euro Larvae, maggots and spikes are just different names for the same thing?

Thanks for clarification - tried doing some searches on the forum but couldn't find a confirming answer.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Names of ice fishing "bugs"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:14 PM »
euro's and maggots are the same, spikes (Jokers in the UK) are baby maggots/euro's.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:57 AM »
That is correct except that EuroLarva come in colors too. At least they used to: blue, red and natural. Was there a yellow and a green too at one time? I don't recall that part.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:06 AM »
That is correct except that EuroLarva come in colors too. At least they used to: blue, red and natural. Was there a yellow and a green too at one time? I don't recall that part.
I had found that the colored ones seemed to die off rather quickly...gotta be due to the dye/food color that is ingested. Haven't used them in a long time.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 02:22 PM »
I had found that the colored ones seemed to die off rather quickly...gotta be due to the dye/food color that is ingested. Haven't used them in a long time.
yeah ive noticed the same thing,i stopped buying the multi colored spikes because of it..plain white spikes is all I use now.catch just as many fish too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.