Author Topic: More mobile this year  (Read 1308 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
More mobile this year
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:39 PM »
I fixed up a trailer this summer to easily be able to haul a cheap snowmobile around.  I'm hoping to be a bit more mobile this year once we get some good ice out there.  The sled itself is relatively light, it's a single cylinder.  I can't imagine that it weighs more then a couple of hundred pounds.  I'm Looking forward to not being quite so land locked with ice access. 
I pulled the sled out the other day and it fired right up on the first pull.  Shutting it off is another thing.... got some wiring issues to figure out.  If I wiggle the wires around on the inside of the tub it eventually shuts off.   ;D
I wish the trailer was a bit bigger, I don't think I will be able to fit my Nanook on there with the sled.  May have to look for a one man shanty, unless someone has a good idea for me.  I can always go in the bed of the truck but it will probably be a pia to unload with the trailer on there.  I'm hoping for ease of use.  I really like those racks that I have seen where the shanty rides up off the ice on the back of the sled, but i'm not sure it's big enough for that.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: More mobile this year
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Once you get the sled off the trailer you can put the tailgate down on your pickup and your flip over will slide off right on to the trailer. It may be easier to load it in or take out by using the trailer.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:15 AM »
cant see the picture.  but, could you make a rack over the sled to put your shanty on?  or false floor to put shanty under it?  possibly a tongue extension and rack there?  maybe put sled on sideways with ramps?

you could always make the trailer the shanty ;D 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I am not familiar with the snowmobile you have but it does not sound like it has a bunch of excess power.  One thing to keep in mind with a snowmobile on lakes is the slush factor.  The more weight on the sled the more it will sink in the slush at slower speeds and could get stuck.  I would pull the shanty behind it if I could.  As for getting both on the trailer, it sounds like you need to create a rack above the snowmobile to strap the shanty to.

By the way photobucket no longer works for posting pics here unless you want to pay 150 a year or so.  There are other hosting sites that are still free.  Do a search on how to post pics on here and it will take you to a thread that lists the other sites.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:19 PM »
This site no longer needs a hosting site. Just click on the "add image to post" link  right below the post box.

Pic for example.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:26 AM »

from PB  maybe they havent got to my account yet?

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:27 AM »
copy direct link and try tater?

OANN the real story

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:04 AM »
I Attempted using a direct link and it was a no go.  In my initial post it showed up correctly on the preview for me when i used the img like I always have. That sure is disappointing they had to try and make a money grab.  It leaves a lot of forums without pictures that go along with these informative posts.  I believe i will be closing the door on Photobucket and just canceling my account.  Maybe they will get the message.

Here we go by adding it directly per FishSlayer's suggestion.

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I agree with what Mancave said. I have the same problem with a 4-wheeler and space. I actually prefer keeping my shanty in the truck now, its much easier to pull it down to trailer then down to the ground.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:56 PM »
I Attempted using a direct link and it was a no go.  In my initial post it showed up correctly on the preview for me when i used the img like I always have. That sure is disappointing they had to try and make a money grab.  It leaves a lot of forums without pictures that go along with these informative posts.  I believe i will be closing the door on Photobucket and just canceling my account.  Maybe they will get the message.

Here we go by adding it directly per FishSlayer's suggestion.

Most forums are moving towards this format where you no longer need a hosting site to post pics. The tech has been around for several years to do it, but I think it was not a big issue for these forums to update until now. Photobucket screwed up many forums that had great write-ups for different hobbies and what not.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I agree with what Mancave said. I have the same problem with a 4-wheeler and space. I actually prefer keeping my shanty in the truck now, its much easier to pull it down to trailer then down to the ground.
I will be giving that a try and see how that works out.  It might work out better then I think. 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:41 AM »
You get that setup dialed in you can chase the eyes in Saginaw or Erie.
Fish on!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:40 AM »
You get that setup dialed in you can chase the eyes in Saginaw or Erie.
Erie eyes is the ultimate plan, although it's light enough I plan on using it around home a lot.  With parking being hard to come by and I don't always enjoy fishing the masses I thought it would be nice to be able to find some new fishing grounds some days.  Especially later in the season when the fish have been beat on a bit in some of the typical holes. 
I took that out on Erie 2 years ago.  The sled is simple enough I am confident I could fix almost anything if something happened.  It's just a simple carb that I have had apart many times, and there just ins't much that could go wrong with it.  Hopefully I don't jinx myself with that statement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.