New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bays of Lake ontario  (Read 2803 times)

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bays of Lake ontario
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Do you think the high water on lake ontario will effect the fishing?   Will it improve or hurt the fishing? 

luv2fish2

Re: Bays of Lake ontario
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:52 PM »
water is back normal levels shouldn't be any different this winter at least on my bay (chaumont) it won't be

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:05 PM »
I think the fish will still be there no matter what the water level. As of today, Ontario is tad over a foot from where it was last year at this time.

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/wlevels/levels.html#observations
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline Jacque LeTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Water level looks pretty normal along the ponds in Greece NY.   Fish are pretty adaptable so I would expect fishing to be normal.   Don't forget that the open water season isn't over yet !   Boats were out on Canadice and Hemlock Monday morning.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  ???

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:34 PM »
water is back normal levels shouldn't be any different this winter at least on my bay (chaumont) it won't be

Hows the ice fishing in that bay?  I visited the area for the first time this year open water and was impressed with the smallmouth bite there, it was actually better for us then the st lawrance river.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:26 AM »
water levels  in  Ontario  are  still  about  a  foot  above  normal  .....all the  great lakes  are  still above  normal

luv2fish2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:47 PM »
if we get safe ice its a great fishery but it can bite ya , ask the guy that took a ride on an iceberg last year !!! ck chaumont hardware page at top of screen they're awsome people and have the latest info tackle and bait and give safe true reports good luck and be safe

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:12 AM »
if we get safe ice its a great fishery but it can bite ya , ask the guy that took a ride on an iceberg last year !!! ck chaumont hardware page at top of screen they're awsome people and have the latest info tackle and bait and give safe true reports good luck and be safe

Safe , true reports are one thing, whether or not people heed them is another.

Too many guys last year not familiar with the bay came up here and didn't pay attention to the reports and dumped themselves and machines through.

Says a lot about common sense getting thrown out the window just to catch a decent sized walleye.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Parking can be an issue , last year things got really bad , tearing up people’s property and such , exos slayer has a much better handle on that

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I am going to be one of those not familiar guys coming up this year.  You can heed reports and still have bad luck.  No one can control what happens once your out there...and even the most educated, proficient ice fishermen are not immune to accidents.

If we say common sense is lost chasing a walleye through that ice then we are all lacking common sense everytime we get in the car...yet no one says that...but man, we talk about ice, and the safety factor becomes quite the drama for some...like imminent death is looming.... ::)

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:44 AM »
If we get safe ice this year, the perch fishing on the bays is going to be extremely good - Port Bay, Fair Haven, and Sodus have all had some of the best perch fishing I have seen this fall in many years.  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:27 AM »
If we get safe ice this year, the perch fishing on the bays is going to be extremely good - Port Bay, Fair Haven, and Sodus have all had some of the best perch fishing I have seen this fall in many years.  @)

Rochester area bays have been extremely good as well
its a footrace to the hole

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:47 AM »
The Lake level is no where near the normal level.  As of last week, the lake was 12" above the historical average and 13" above what it was last year.  It will not change much in deeper bays but shallower bays and ponds could be better. 

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I don't think he was talking about accidents when a person takes the proper precautions - he actually referred to people that didn't listen to reports.  I've seen guys walk right up to where a stream comes into a lake, cut a hole within 3 feet of the open water, and act surprised when the auger goes thru in 2 turns.  Thats where common sense comes in.  If you're THAT stupid (not you - just saying), I'm not risking my life to get you out so don't even bother asking.  As an example, if reports say a lake just iced over a couple days earlier, you can be pretty sure it didn't do it uniformly, and that the ice can't take a snow mobile. DUH.  You may not do things like that, but I can tell you over the years I've seen a lot of people do things that leave you shaking your head.

Exactly.

Some guys never learn, never bother to even think about potential situations, fail to heed solid reports from guys that have been on the ice in question, etc., etc.

Every year we see stellar examples of this, and they're becoming more and more frequent instead of less.

One death already this year, "just gotta" be out there instead of patiently waiting..
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:31 AM »
a  spud  and a life  jacket would have  most likely  saved them both from taking the  dip

luv2fish2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:04 PM »
The Lake level is no where near the normal level.  As of last week, the lake was 12" above the historical average and 13" above what it was last year.  It will not change much in deeper bays but shallower bays and ponds could be better. 
didn't they say the 2014 plan(st lawrence seaway commision) would keep levels higher to precipate getting back marshy area's and swampland i thought someone told me but not sure what level will be the norm i just heard higher, i hadn't noticed it any lower or higher at my place on the chaumont river but i've only been there three years  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.