The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric Ice Augers  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Ice Augers
« on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I am starting to get tired of my gas auger because I can never get the darn thing to start when I am on the ice and have been considering getting one of those new electric ice augers. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad, on electric augers? The promos make them look pretty sweet. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get out this year...

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric Ice Augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:54 AM »
I bought an ION X last year after I used a friends ION (Sold my Strikemaster Honda 4 stroke). Reason for the change - we have a wheelhouse and it has the ability to re-drill iced in holes, also the auger reverse allows you to "Flush the Slush" down the hole.
jim

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Love My ion-x, great piece of equipment. Zero issues with the battery unlike the naysayers want you to believe. There are also many options available now utilizing cordless drills...

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Hey MFish! Can you delete a few of your inbox messages? Tried sending you a PM but you are full. Much appreciated man thank you!

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:45 AM »
You convinced me! Thanks everyone. If anyone has had a bad experience with an electric auger, please share...

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:08 PM »
There are also many options available now utilizing cordless drills...

As a follow up to the cordless drills piece...that's what I use. Set-up with an auger, a nimrod piece from Scheels, and a drill all for under $100. Just be aware the limitations are the number of holes that can be drilled on one battery. My experience is around 15-20 max through solid ice. Maybe just an aging battery though, who knows. Guess when the battery goes, the handle goes back on for some traditional drilling!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:20 PM »
ION owner here.....2nd best purchase I've made for the hardwater (flasher being 1st).....I punch 25 - 40 holes per outing & never a battery problem.....Recharge the battery after every trip & you're good to go !!

Offline mattyb516

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Bought the ion x last year. Cost a bit more than I wanted to but WELL worth it. It’s awesome!! Pull the trigger and you’re drilling. No bogging down issuers. Plenty of power to punch thru 2 feet last winter. Just keep your battery warm before use and you’re set! I love it. I’d recommend it to anyone. And the reverse feature is awesome too. Clears 90% of the the slush away
where there's a flag, there's a pickerel

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2017, 01:07 AM »
Ion  all the way..

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2017, 01:08 AM »
I bought an ION last year and have battery issues.  Completely my fault, left it in the charger over night.  Dont dont do that.  Just charge it for however long and dont over charge that battery.  Nice auger for sure. 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:31 AM »
I bought an ION last year and have battery issues.  Completely my fault, left it in the charger over night.  Dont dont do that.  Just charge it for however long and dont over charge that battery.  Nice auger for sure.

The charger that comes with the ION is not automatic?!?

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:36 AM »
The charger that comes with the ION is not automatic?!?

Tight lines,
Bob

From Ion's website:
Leaving the battery on the charger will not harm the battery because the charger is programmed to shut off after the battery reaches a full charge. It is best to unplug the charger and remove the battery after a full charge has been reached, signaled by the solid green light on the charger. (This is because the charger’s electronics inside will continue to use power when plugged in.)

Offline SnoopySnowCone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:03 PM »
I tried a drill one and it sucked. Gas ones are cumbersome and messy. We got a propane one last year and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Sips gas and drills ice like a bad dog.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Some are and some aren't. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:09 PM »
I've had the Ion for about 4 years now.  My only complaint is that the blades are Chinese made pieces of junk.  Keep an eye out for dirty ice.  I was fishing a small trout pond that has a sandy beach near the shore and I ruined two sets of blades drilling through ice that had sand in it.  I'm sure it would have happened to other blades but I really wish it had a chipper style blade that would last longer.  I think I'm on my 4th or 5th set of blades.  The only positive about the blades is that they aren't that expensive.  You can usually find a set on amazon for around $30.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2017, 09:00 PM »
I love my Eskimo gasser, but I'm really excited to try out my cordless drill rig this year.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Bought Ion Auger, went fishing at Georgetown once last week, sold Jiffy Gas Auger...I'm sure some may think I'm crazy, but that's how much the Ion blew me away.  Noticeably lighter, cuts quiet/quickly, and what I initially thought was maybe a gimmick, being able to blow all the ice out of the hole in reverse is great.  I was cutting holes just for fun.  Can't wait to chew through some more ice with it this winter.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Its a great tool:)

Offline jiggywifit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Nothing makes fish bit less than having gas on your hands. I need one of these.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Purchased an ION X midway thru last season.  I'll never use my Jiffy gaser again.  Gas units are prone toward hard starting when temps are below 15 degrees, are messy, and heavy.  Like buggy whips, gasers have seen their time in the sun.  They were useful back in the day but technology has triumphed when it comes to ice augers.  Try one and you'll be amazed. 

Tinker

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I agree gas is done.  But I do have a propane I bought a few years ago and will likely be a few more years before I can convince the wife I need another new auger.  The main reason I went propane was so I can drill holes for days without having to have access to power.  In hind sight I rarely go on multi day trips and probably have never drilled more holes in a day than what an electric would do.  I think if I had electric I would drill less holes to start with, I often perforate an area before fishing it and often drill plenty of holes I never even fish.   

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:14 PM »
 Throw my two cents in!.... before everyone extinct the gas auger last season where the temp was -24°F and windchill @ -32°F.... the Ion(1st gen) and Eskimo propane fail to work where as the gas auger work. It wasn't unil after we got the tent setup and will heated up, the battery for the Ion began to work. Even then, it's was really boggy. That being said the new StrikeMaster Lithuim is intriguing to me for those non-extreme days.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:16 PM »
No unprotected battery is happy at + -30...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Throw my two cents in!.... before everyone extinct the gas auger last season where the temp was -24°F and windchill @ -32°F.... the Ion(1st gen) and Eskimo propane fail to work where as the gas auger work. It wasn't unil after we got the tent setup and will heated up, the battery for the Ion began to work. Even then, it's was really boggy. That being said the new StrikeMaster Lithuim is intriguing to me for those non-extreme days.
The only way my Strikemaster/Honda 4 stroke will be extinct is if I shoot it. It starts on the second pull when cold, doesn't leak gas, weighs a pound more than an 8" Ion, and I don't worry about keeping a battery or propane cannister warm. Nothing against electric or propane, but why replace what works well for me? :blink:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Cranker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I have used both the Ion and Ion X the last 2 years.  They are cutting machines and extremely light.  My experience with both was battery life has not been good in extremely cold conditions.  Buy an extra battery and keep it in a small cooler with some heating packs.  Should be good to go!

Offline Hittemhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2017, 02:39 AM »
I might have to switch to ion. My auger is a pain in the cold and seems like once or twice a year i need to recoil the pull cord spring

Offline glars

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:24 AM »
If you are on a budget and not afraid of mechanical maintenance and following the manufacturer's recommendations don't write off the gas and even the old 2-stroke option.  You can save some $$.  I bought the Eskimo Mako 2-stroke last year on a sale and paid<$300.  Used a dozen times.  It runs great and starts easily...just pay attention to routine maintenance and off-season procedures and these things work fine.  I started it several times last year in sub-zero conditions.  If you want no-brainer operation and don't wan't to fiddle with maintenance then the battery operated is probably a great choice...you just have to have a way to keep them warm in more extreme conditions.

Offline lkn4nibls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Love my Ion.Canyonferry last year drilled 18 holes in 24 ins of ice on one batteryand still had power left.

Offline elkstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Just purchased a Mako M43 for $284, and have used gas augers for years.  Sometimes when I'm walleye and perch fishing I drill 50+ holes a day, and with a full tank of fuel and extra tank if necessary I can do that no matter what the temperature is.  I'm a little wary of electric, as stated batteries don't do well in extreme cold conditions.  I would be open to propane, but with the money I saved I can go on quite a few fishing trips.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:44 AM »
I'm a little wary of electric, as stated batteries don't do well in extreme cold conditions

Says all the naysayers that haven't tried them/won't try them. I've never had problems with the ION batteries in any temperature & I don't go out of my way to keep them warm !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.