The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric Ice Augers  (Read 12832 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric Ice Augers
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:31 PM »
just reading through the thread and wondering why everyone wastes all this money buying blades. Sharpen what you got. Little bit of time, some sand paper of different grits, oh and don't forget a few beers you can make any blade sharp again. Takes practice. I have multiple hand augers all bought used or found in garbage. All needed a little work. Sharpen the blades all work like new. My jiffy gas auger has chipper blades. Same process just a different blade. I don't know maybe im wrong but why waste the money on blades. SHARPEN them!!

I had a pair professionally sharpened and the edge just doesnt hold up like new blades do.  If I had all of the tools to do the sharpening and someone with the knowledge to show me how to do it I'd love to learn the skill.  However, I've tried using what i've got and the edge lasted about one trip.  I clearly didn't know what I was doing but since my blades were getting replaced for free I figured I'd give it a try.
westernmas on the finder

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:34 PM »
fan boy naw, that's you Northern, go look at all your posts. I just call BS on the things you guys are digging up. Didnt call anyone a liar, that's your word Scratcher. Keep on guys, I know theres no issues and if there was its just like any thing else that was ever invented. Things have issues and they get resolved. You think your k drill and drills never had issues? The whole fan boy thing and undying loyalty for a specific thing because of its name is a joke...but hey I like how you call me  a fan boy after I called you on exactly that.  If I had issues with my Ion that were real issues id tell you about them right here:)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:39 PM »
I do find it kind of odd that in the link you referred to he would ask the question So does the black ring have a matte finish or a gloss finish?

Lol, I didn't even notice he had already posted on that thread in the past. Where does the denial come from? Lol

<°)))>{

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Lol, I didn't even notice he had already posted on that thread in the past. Where does the denial come from? Lol

<°)))>{
Right! Yet he still says BS on the things we are "digging" up.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:48 PM »
wow, you guys are better than Scooby Doo! You really cracked open a mystery!!!
How then do you explain your question about the ring finish being matte or gloss on the other thread about broken Ion blades then? That is kind of an odd question to ask if you weren't trying to get at something specific?...like the recall Ion had on their Ion X auger shafts due to the ring finish being the direct cause of heavy auger blade freeze up and many had to be returned and replaced by Ion last winter.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #65 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:52 PM »
 they had an issue, like previously stated by many people and they resolved it. But you being the detective you are want to imply that its still an issue like the breaking blades that a couple people had issues with.
Are you realy that naive to believe your k-drill and makita were designed, manufactured and sold with zero issues?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:02 PM »
they had an issue, like previously stated by many people and they resolved it. But you being the detective you are want to imply that its still an issue like the breaking blades that a couple people had issues with.
Are you realy that naive to believe your k-drill and makita were designed, manufactured and sold with zero issues?
He finally admits it! Nowhere did I say it was still an issue. I was saying at one time or another it was an issue. Like last year and their rollout with the new at that time Ion X auger. K Drill doesn't recommend to pair their auger with Makita. They've always recommended the Milwaukee Fuel drill for the K Drill which is what I own. They may have tested Makita before they went retail with the K Drill but if you look back at all their advertising videos in the past they always say Milwaukee is what they recommend. They designed the K Drill around the Milwaukee drill. As far as I know K Drill never has asked a large number of their customers to return their drills or augers for replacement because of defect like broken blades or the wrong finish that was applied.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #67 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:08 PM »
lol, whatever dude. Go fishing. Nothing to admit or deny here, thats your game clearly:)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:48 PM »
getting kinda salty around here.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #69 on: Dec 14, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Its almost Friday)

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:09 PM »
As an angler who does not yet own a power auger, would an electric be more beneficial or should I just buy a gas for my first?
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Many opinions myself I go with electric!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:22 PM »
As an angler who does not yet own a power auger, would an electric be more beneficial or should I just buy a gas for my first?

Do you have a good cordless drill yet?

If not, I highly suggest you go that route, everyone should have a good drill for life in general...

<°)))>{

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I have an Eskimo Mako M43 gas auger but after watching my friend put his ION 40v through last season with no problems I am planning on switching to an electric myself. I think it's like any new technology, there were some kinks when they first came out a couple years ago but now they are nearly flawless and in a price range that makes them affordable. All I know is gas augers are heavy, loud, often leak gas and can be a pain to start at times. I would go electric hands down, it's definitely the future of ice augers. There was a good article on In-Fisherman about the new generation of electric augers.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/ice-fishing/alternative-ice-augers-for-cleaner-results/

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:31 PM »
I already had a drill (actually 3 lol) so this rig cost me $70 to put together

Mora 6" auger- $30, like new off Craig's list..

Clam plate- $40 like new off Craig's list..

<°)))>{

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #75 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Are you planning to drill enough holes to justify the cost or are you content to just drill a few holes and fish whether you are catching fish or not?
Some guys drill holes all day...some guys drill a couple and are perfectly happy with that.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:45 PM »
It now has a lightened, extended "8 Mora, with a gearbox, add another $70, lol my gears, cost as much as the rest of it... Now $140!

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:53 AM »

Just posted..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=355254.0

<°)))>{

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #78 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Wow! You really busted this case wide open😱

Offline RBC785

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Bought the ion this year best decision yet I pull the battery off and take it in the hut to to keep it warm also when traveling to the lake it is always in the truck no problem punching 40 plus holes a trip.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:43 PM »
Bought the ion this year best decision yet I pull the battery off and take it in the hut to to keep it warm also when traveling to the lake it is always in the truck no problem punching 40 plus holes a trip.
remember a soft lunch cooler with handwarmers  works great on those cold days...3rd year on my ion..no issues and I absolutely love it....after my g friend left...I bring it bed and snuggle with it...no..of course not...but I do give it special care...it has performed just perfectly for me...

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Put together a clam plate and 8 inch k drill with both dewalt and milwaukee drills that are recommended. Have drilled hundreds of holes now with both drills. I can honestly say if you go this route the dewalt drilled more holes using less battery. Went out last night with dewalt 5 ah battery and drilled 70+ holes through 8 to 10 inches of ice. No issue. Day before went to same lake and drilled 68 holes with milwaukee before battery was dead. Both drill work perfectly for hole hopping. Guess it really comes down to what color drill you want.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:54 AM »
I already had a drill (actually 3 lol) so this rig cost me $70 to put together

Mora 6" auger- $30, like new off Craig's list..

Clam plate- $40 like new off Craig's list..

<°)))>{

Somebody posted a DIY version of a clam plate made of plywood but I can't find it anymore, Anbody else see that thread?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Put together a clam plate and 8 inch k drill with both dewalt and milwaukee drills that are recommended. Have drilled hundreds of holes now with both drills. I can honestly say if you go this route the dewalt drilled more holes using less battery. Went out last night with dewalt 5 ah battery and drilled 70+ holes through 8 to 10 inches of ice. No issue. Day before went to same lake and drilled 68 holes with milwaukee before battery was dead. Both drill work perfectly for hole hopping. Guess it really comes down to what color drill you want.

What model Dewalt ...I'm using a refurbished 995 w/4ah batteries 8"Kdrill and Clam plate ...very impressed ...drilled a lot of holes and ran one 4ah dead and used quite if not all of the other battery ...drilled so many holes and moved I lost interest in counting ...does all my needs and more .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:41 AM »
It now has a lightened, extended "8 Mora, with a gearbox, add another $70, lol my gears, cost as much as the rest of it... Now $140!

<°)))>{
It looks like you cut most of the vanes off. Do you have to pull it up quite often to clean the hole ?

Ken...........

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:59 AM »
It looks like you cut most of the vanes off. Do you have to pull it up quite often to clean the hole ?

Ken...........

On deeper holes, yes, lift up to clear chips, but not any more often than with full flights.. Mora flights are welded in three places, top, bottom, and middle.. I cut the top weld, and cut the flights, just above the middle weld... That 8" bit weighs just over 3lbs...

Works great..

<°)))>{

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:23 PM »
What model Dewalt ...I'm using a refurbished 995 w/4ah batteries 8"Kdrill and Clam plate ...very impressed ...drilled a lot of holes and ran one 4ah dead and used quite if not all of the other battery ...drilled so many holes and moved I lost interest in counting ...does all my needs and more .
Dewalt dcd991p2. Needed to add with those 70+ holes still had one bar of battery left. Ran my radio for 6 hours after drilling holes.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I am starting to get tired of my gas auger because I can never get the darn thing to start when I am on the ice and have been considering getting one of those new electric ice augers. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad, on electric augers? The promos make them look pretty sweet. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get out this year...
I have an older Gator attacker with a new set of batteries . It works well but it is heavy . It is overkill for me because I live in northern Indiana and lately we don't get much ice . I purchased this before the hand drill craze started and after I had 2 unsuccessful shoulder surgeries. The drill performs well equal or better than a gasoline auger. It's not in the classifieds but if I knew someone interested I would part with it . Montana probably gets a lot more ice than I do. This drill would work well in thick ice conditions

Offline Mt.trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:55 PM »
I actually bought an adarter for my ice auger and a 5 amp battery for my 20v Dewalt drill. Drilled about 20 holes on 14" ice, and it drilled the hole in seconds, and barley drained my battery.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:03 PM »
time to let this topic die.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.