The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric Ice Augers  (Read 12828 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Electric Ice Augers
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:15 AM »
I am starting to get tired of my gas auger because I can never get the darn thing to start when I am on the ice and have been considering getting one of those new electric ice augers. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad, on electric augers? The promos make them look pretty sweet. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get out this year...
The absolute "best of all" IMO - is the Milwauki M18 cordless, with a 5AH or 9AH battery and a lightweight auger, like the Kdrill or a Finbore augers (Nils if you want the best); no plate, just a drill adapter and safety mechanism to prevent loss of the auger bit.
Super light weight, the Milwauki batteries are resistant to the cold.  I left mine in the back of my truck (purposely) last year for 2 weeks, in sub zero weather.  Took it out and went to drilling holes.  I use both, a Finbore 6" and Nils 8" augers and the system worl=ks great and is reliable.  I moved away from gas augers 10 years ago and then moved to lightweight because of back problems.  Never looked back, in either case.  The new cordless drills and battery technology are the greatest.

Offline donovan.luce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Going to have to pick up an ION X it sounds like!!

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I just bought the 10” Strikemaster Lithium 40v. I bought that over the Ion because it comes with a free extra battery. I will make sure I give a report if we ever get fishable ice in western Montana...

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I love the gas auger when the ice gets thick but it sure is heavy, leaks gas at times, and is noisy as hell. These lithium augers look awesome!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:26 PM »
The absolute "best of all" IMO - is the Milwauki M18 cordless, with a 5AH or 9AH battery and a lightweight auger, like the Kdrill or a Finbore augers (Nils if you want the best); no plate, just a drill adapter and safety mechanism to prevent loss of the auger bit.
Super light weight, the Milwauki batteries are resistant to the cold.  I left mine in the back of my truck (purposely) last year for 2 weeks, in sub zero weather.  Took it out and went to drilling holes.  I use both, a Finbore 6" and Nils 8" augers and the system worl=ks great and is reliable.  I moved away from gas augers 10 years ago and then moved to lightweight because of back problems.  Never looked back, in either case.  The new cordless drills and battery technology are the greatest.
.       X2 their batteries are by far the best in cold weather !!!

Offline Eyefixin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Thinking my old gas is a backup....hoping Santa brings a new batt ice auger
Creating memories....one fish at a time!

Offline Breazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's only cold when you go swimming..
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Ok, has anyone tried the 10" auger bit on the ION?  I'm debating how it works, as I'm currently using the 8"..

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:04 PM »
The reverse on the ION is pretty awesome
Did any one mention that ION's come with a auger extension
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I forgot about the extension too.  Also, the batteries from the original Ion and Ion-X are interchangeable.  If you're like me and buy the original Ion, you can either right away buy an Ion-X battery as a backup, or wait a couple years like I'm going to do then buy it then.  The benefit is you have a larger capacity on the original, which isn't much different than the Ion-X from what I've read.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Ok, has anyone tried the 10" auger bit on the ION?  I'm debating how it works, as I'm currently using the 8"..

Older thread here ----- https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=296326.0

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:31 PM »
Older thread here ----- https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=296326.0

At 5:25, that's a perfectly acceptable, pretty fast drilling speed, anything more than that is icing...

<°)))>{

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:20 AM »
At 5:25, that's a perfectly acceptable, pretty fast drilling speed, anything more than that is icing...

<°)))>{

??? Ahhhhh.....OK !!

Tinker

« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Yeah I think he meant at the 5:25 point of the video, not that it took 5 minutes.  I can chip a hole with my ice picks in under 5 minutes LOL!

Offline GM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:41 AM »
My Brother has a 6" Nils that works great.

I will likely sell my Jiffy and get an 8" Nils.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Bought my Ion 2 years ago and love it! Even my wife likes drilling holes with it! my only regret was I didn't buy one sooner!!

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Just got an adapter for my $50 Eskimo. Already had an electric drill. I don't plan on drilling 100 holes a day so it will probably suffice. And when it dies I just throw the handle on and get crankin.

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:27 PM »
I would also vote for the kdrill. I bought one last year, and it works with my existing bosch 18 volt drill. Secret on the battery is to keep it in a lunch box with a hot hands. We did about 18 holes and used less than a quarter of one battery in over 18 inches of ice. K drill weighs like 3 lbs, don't miss lugging that darn gas auger around and the extra gas. I can drill inside my ice house no exhaust smell. No more bucket that smells like gas. Never going back. Sold my Jiffy this summer. Now I use my drill all summer for work and all winter for fun.

Good luck you will love the electric.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I would also vote for the kdrill. I bought one last year, and it works with my existing bosch 18 volt drill. Secret on the battery is to keep it in a lunch box with a hot hands. We did about 18 holes and used less than a quarter of one battery in over 18 inches of ice. K drill weighs like 3 lbs, don't miss lugging that darn gas auger around and the extra gas. I can drill inside my ice house no exhaust smell. No more bucket that smells like gas. Never going back. Sold my Jiffy this summer. Now I use my drill all summer for work and all winter for fun.

Good luck you will love the electric.
X2 on the K Drill. Twice as fast as the Ion X. Half the weight of the Ion X. Zero blade issues in any type of ice conditions dirty or clear. Free lifetime blade sharpening as well. Milwaukee lithium batteries are the best cold weather battery on the market.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:34 AM »
still no issues with Ion blades or batteries...and any blade will dull in dirty ice...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:42 AM »
still no issues with Ion blades or batteries...and any blade will dull in dirty ice...
For you maybe. Post #14 says results aren't the same for others.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:48 AM »
run your k-drill blades through sandy ice and see what happens...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:02 PM »
run your k-drill blades through sandy ice and see what happens...
Bet they last longer drilling dirty ice than Ion shaver blades.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:04 PM »

Chipper blades will not dull as dramatically as the Ion blades.  FACT
westernmas on the finder

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:05 PM »

Here's a thread about the quality of Ion blades..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330974.0

<°)))>{

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Here's a thread about the quality of Ion blades..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330974.0

<°)))>{

To that point, I have also broke a pair of blades and have had to order 3 other sets due to dulling in dirty ice.  I believe, dont quote me on this, but you could attach a Mora to the Ion and at least you can get Swedish made blades for the Mora.
westernmas on the finder

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #55 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Still no issues with Ion blades or batteries no matter how badley you guys want to find issues :)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Still no issues with Ion blades or batteries no matter how badley you guys want to find issues :)

Calling the last poster, and everyone that replied to the link I gave you, lying?

<°)))>{

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:08 PM »
just reading through the thread and wondering why everyone wastes all this money buying blades. Sharpen what you got. Little bit of time, some sand paper of different grits, oh and don't forget a few beers you can make any blade sharp again. Takes practice. I have multiple hand augers all bought used or found in garbage. All needed a little work. Sharpen the blades all work like new. My jiffy gas auger has chipper blades. Same process just a different blade. I don't know maybe im wrong but why waste the money on blades. SHARPEN them!!
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Some were broken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Calling the last poster, and everyone that replied to the link I gave you, lying?

<°)))>{
Missoulafish is an Ion fan boy and is just totally unwilling to admit that the Ion has had some problems in the past with a few things like broken or dulled blades, and auger freeze ups in the past. I do find it kind of odd that in the link you referred to he asked the question "So does the black ring have a matte finish or a gloss finish?" like that is supposed to mean something one way or another? Maybe he knows a certain finish on the ring could affect performance that nobody else does?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.