The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lakes you can snowmobile too?  (Read 946 times)

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
Lakes you can snowmobile too?
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:22 PM »
I was wondering if anybody knew of any decent ice fishing lakes that a guy could take his snowmobiles for a ride too and have a decent day of fishing.  I live in the Missoula area and know of lots of high mountain lakes around but have no idea if they have fish during the winter or if they freeze up and if you can ride sleds into them.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  We have been fishing Georgetown, fort peck, and upsata this year and would like to find something off the beaten path.  Thanks and good luck fishing!  PS if you can make it over to fort peck the fishing there will ruin you lol we had flags going up constantly catching pike between 13-18 lbs with the largest one 23 lbs and she's going on the wall.

Offline iceflippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lakes you can snowmobile too?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:08 PM »
I've had good success on Clearwater lake    north of Seeley lake. Large cutts and brook trout, and the views are great. I haven't fished it in a few years but I'm sure there are still fish in it.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Lake Alva is a good lake, lindberg ok, spook lake also[above Placid lake].
FP1

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Don't take your sled out onto Clearwater Lake unless you have checked out the ice carefully first.  The lake tends to develop lots of slush and weak layer-cake ice.

Go up Dry Creek, which is south of St. Regis and west of Superior, to Diamond Lake and Cliff Lake.  The road goes to Diamond Lake, which has a lot of smallish brook trout.  You can ski, snowshoe, or snowmobile up to Cliff Lake, which has great scenery and some nice cutthroats. Or go up Cedar Creek, which is south of Superior, to the Oregon Lakes.  The road doesn't go all the way to the lakes, so you'll need to ski, snowshoe, or boondock the last mile and a half to the lakes.  You need good low altitude snow to visit both areas, because you start snowmobiling not very much above the Clark Fork River.

Here's a couple pictures of Cliff Lake.  Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:23 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  Sounds like we have a few options, someone told me van lake might also be a good option.  We plan on heading out early Thursday morning (2/8/18) and sleeping on the ice for one night. 

Offline RME.RET

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Hi - New here to the board looking for any other Lakes we can use a snow machine to get to?? Can we get to Bull Lake with a snow machine? ???
"Fishy, fishy in the Brook, Come and bite my little hook!"

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:27 AM »
If I want to pull a trailer full of ice fishing gear behind my snowmobile, I stick with lakes which can be reached via a road.  I'm not up for boondocking while pulling a trailer.  If I want to get to a lake which can't be reached by a road, I bring a minimum amount of ice fishing gear, and either strap it to the back of my snowmobile, or park my snowmobile and ski or snowshoe to the lake while carrying my ice fishing gear.

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I  agree with pmmpete, you might have to get creative and be willing to ski or strap on snowshoes to access backcountry ice fishing opportunities.  Always be aware of snow conditions and avalanche danger.

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Agreed!  I'm only interested in an easy road ride on this trip. 

If I want to pull a trailer full of ice fishing gear behind my snowmobile, I stick with lakes which can be reached via a road.  I'm not up for boondocking while pulling a trailer.  If I want to get to a lake which can't be reached by a road, I bring a minimum amount of ice fishing gear, and either strap it to the back of my snowmobile, or park my snowmobile and ski or snowshoe to the lake while carrying my ice fishing gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.