The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Someone should fabricate...  (Read 1205 times)

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
Someone should fabricate...
« on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:03 AM »
...An adapter to fit a nils cutting head onto a mora or lazer hand auger flighting.

The mora flighting is much lighter and more compact.  It also has a lot more options for extensions, including the adjustable clam extension.

The Nils cutting head is just so much smoother and easier cutting than the mora or lazer.  It allows you to get more holes out of battery and is easier on the drill at the same time.

It would be a matter of cutting the bottom off the mora flighting and drilling a hole in the right spot.  Then having an adapter to mate the different shaft sizes together.

Obviously not a lot of demand for an adapter to be made, and probably not very practical.  BUT if I could choose my dream auger to put on a drill the nils/mora combo would be it.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Someone should fabricate...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:26 PM »
  I've mounted Nils blades on a few moras. It's easy to do.  Cut the mora blade mount off at a point where the flighting lines up with the fin on the Nils blade.  Clean the ridge off the inside of the moras tube and the Nils stub fits right in. Drill a hole for the bolt y Personally I like the lenght of the Nils along with it's longer flighting. Cleans the hole out and no bending over while drilling.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:08 PM »
I can sharpen if needed, and or, find replacement blades, at gas stations, for my Mora bits..

I realize, a Nils, when sharp, cuts with extreme efficiency, more than any other I suspect.. They are the Lamborghini of ice cutters.. Versus the old Jiffy 30 with chipper blades, works as good as an old favorite hammer...

One is a race car, the other more utility..

Not everyone wants to maintain, or can afford a race car, a heavy, race car..

And not everyone wants to drive something fast everyday, but when they go, they go!

$30 on every Craig's list lol..

My modified 8" Mora bit is well under 4lbs, with the extension.

Edit.. Added a before picture

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:12 PM »
All due respect to Frank of course..

And worth mentioning..

I've never held a Nils up to my eyeball..

But he can obviously sharpen them great! And I can understand why folks like how they cut...

<°)))>{

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:43 AM »
    No problem Ice Scratcher and of coarse I'll reply. :)   When the Mora 1st came out in the late 70's I bought one new for $20. Was a huge improvement over the old spoon auger.   $20 was a lot of money then and you could buy 3 dozen crappie minnows for a buck.

The Mora and Lazer replacement blades are easier to find and a handful of guys are able to sharpen them.   Your probably not going to find a Nils blade at your local bait shop but can be easily found and bought online.
 Nils blades aren't more or less finicky then Lazer or Mora but like all shaver blades they need to be sharp.    What are the advantages of a Nils? 
 Speed of cut and ease of cut.     I take it your trying to shave a few ounces of weight by shortening a Mora to make less work.
What about the drilling part, want less work and do it faster.   When powered by a gas engine the benefits aren't that huge but your drill rate will be fast and you'll do it with less torque.    When hand drilling the difference in effort is huge.    Using a cordless drill that speed and ease of cut means increased battery life or more holes per battery.

What if every time you you sharpened your Mora, Lazer, and Chipper blades you could tune the mount to match those sharpened blades?
With a Nils you can do that.  Instead of 1 out of 10 blades being rejected because of damage, being able to make an adjustment puts that into 1 out of hundreds.    Yes they cost more but if you care for them a pair of Nils blades should last you a lifetime of use.   
Oh and I still have the spoon auger somewhere.  I still used it after I bought the Mora to open old holes in the perm shack.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:00 AM »
  I take it your trying to shave a few ounces of weight by shortening a Mora to make less work.

I edited it to add a before mod picture. The six inch was modified too. First picture now shows the stock 8"..

It was actually made longer, by removing a large portion of the steel shaft and installing the aluminum tube where it was. Half of the flights removed too..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Frank..

That's pretty cool to be able to adjust the mounting position, I'm going to have to take a closer look at one next time one is near... I don't know anyone around here that runs one..

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.